update 1.14 sux!!!!!!! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

update 1.14 sux!!!!!!!

mphotogmphotog Posts: 18
NerveGear
This is the dumbest update ever. I don't what these fools have done, but now when I reset my sensors and go through the process, it tells me that my front sensors are in the wrong position ( I have three sensors). I have not moved them! The front two face me, the rear sensor is in the right rear corner. Nothing has changed. Why do I get these errors when I have not moved them. Everything worked just fine before. I should have not updated! WHICH WAY ARE THESE SENSORS  SUPPOSE TO FACE??????? I spend more time jacking with these stupid sensors. This is so frustrating dealing with this crap. This update was suppose to improve 3 sensor setups, what a joke.

Comments

• mazprimazpri Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    it's not. Every update has some major flaws for specific group of users. It's just the way it's meant to be i guess, kind of a company culture   :D
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    since you're double posting I will double post my response: 
    you don't have to listen to that screen, you can just click 'next' if you feel like your sensors are in the right place
  • mphotogmphotog Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    FrozenPea, thanks for the info, I'll calm down now.But I'm now confused. Do the front sensors point parallel or do they point inward. That screen kept telling to point them inward. It was very confusing so I gave up. In 1.13 set up was much simpler. It I skip that step,how do I know if im gettting the best tracking possible?
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Interesting, I ignored what it said previously and pointed them inwards, so maybe it will agree with me now.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • GATOxVoSGATOxVoS Posts: 440
    Trinity
    Maximum overlap. Sensors need to be pointed in the directions that create the most overlap in coverage within your playspace. Oculus previously showed the sensors needing to be pointed straight, only to find that this was only the best case when you had your sensors 3-6 feet apart. Now that people are using larger play areas and further sensor distances, maximum overlap is what will give you the best tracking possible.
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,403 Valuable Player
    edited April 2017
    Point them inwards until the setup says it's right. I find it unbelievable that Oculus hasn't got program that can tell you that you have set everything up correctly. These are the most basic things that people expect to work. Do away with the setup all together if it's broken and it wont confuse people. Or create a new diagram with the sensors pointing inward and not straight forwards to show people how it's done.
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 535
    Neo
    Well when I setup for roomscale again a couple of hours ago, it showed me on the screen by how many degrees of an angle it wanted me to adjust my 3rd rear sensor by. A little tilt more inwards towards the play space as it happened. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Only odd thing was that it wouldn't let me enter a zero in inches fields of my height (a straight 6 foot), so I had to input my height as 6'1" to start with and then change it in OH once I'd completed the initial setup.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    For those who are 6ft like me, just change it to metric and continue
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    mphotog said:
    ... I should have not updated! ...
    You can't actually opt out from automatic updates.
    All you can do is reroll to an older disk image.
    I even tried blocking oculus services from the internet through windows firewall, but added itself another set of exceptions.
    Basically the only way to effectively block these forced updates is to blacklist it in the hosts file.
    I had some very strange behaviour last night. As i was moving my head up my position was warping back and forth. 
    After a while it sorted it self out. But was very parculiar
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    mphotog said:
    I even tried blocking oculus services from the internet through windows firewall, but added itself another set of exceptions.
    Basically the only way to effectively block these forced updates is to blacklist it in the hosts file.
    or use a real firewall
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • mphotogmphotog Posts: 18
    NerveGear
     Xsjadia, excellent advise. Much clearer instructions. I just now reset the sensors. Followed Oculus instructions, got the sensors pointed in the general direction that I thought they should be and then continued to the next step. When I set my boundaries I was able to see how the sensors overlapped. You could adjust the sensors and see how they moved on the screen. This way I was able to maximize overlap. Seems to work better.
  • Phil007Phil007 Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    Not sure if it is the update, but i have had unusual pc problems tonight. 
    I restarted my pc, last time was about 5 days ago. When i restarted, my computer failed to boot and took me to the bios screen. If i save and exit from the bios screen, the pc then boots but the keyboard and mouse take about 20s to become active at the log in screen.
    After a lot of defaulting, trial and error. I have found that my 3rd rift sensor is causing this. If i plug it in, my first restart takes me to bios. Saving and exiting from bios takes me to windows with the 15s delay for input.
    Unplug everything except the 3rd sensor, mouse and KB. The problem persists.  Plug everything back in and remove the 3rd sensor, everything is working fine again.
    So as part of my trial and error, i swapped the 3rd sensor with my usb dac (as the two share the same usb pair). All working correctly again. The dac works and all my other peripherals work in both usb, but for some reason when i plug the 3rd sensor into the socket it has been working in for the last 4 months, i have problems again.

Any ideas?
    Have you tried it without the active extension? It could be the power draw causing it
    Nexus 6
    danknugz said:
    or use a real firewall

Most of the users won't likely find such a vague comment very useful (if at all), but thanks for your input anyway. Do feel free to disclose your method in detail, if you have actually worked one out.
    3Jane
    edited April 2017
    there isnt much to it, just use a real hardware firewall onstead of one built into windows that is finnicky and can have services automatically add themselves, and also overhead in the os

of course if the updates are done over the standard web ports then it makes things slightly more difficult but can still be managed given the right tools
    Trinity
    ZoneAlarm has a free firewall that I use, and every time Oculus wants to update itself, ZoneAlarm gives me a prompt whether or not I wish to allow the connection to happen. Have always allowed these connections, but someone could give it a shot and see what happens when you deny them ;)

Search ZoneAlarm Free Firewall btw if wanting
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    Nexus 6
    Oh i thought you have worked out an actual solution, my apologies.
    Trinity
    edited April 2017
    danknugz's solution of the hardware firewall would probably give the strongest protection from oculus servers, my software solution could still work though. Why are you being so snippy? These are two solutions that YOU can try to see if it solves your issue. The rest of us have accepted that in the BETA of this program, we probably will have to put up with the way Oculus wants to run things.

And according to a previous post you had, you had already found the solution by blacklisting the servers?

To quote an old Soul Calibur 2 character, "I don't understand"
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    Nexus 6
    Since oculus home is out, it's not beta, actually.
    not exactly sure i`ve blacklisted the correct adresses either, because vague ideas are something I have a lot of too ;)
    done with fbcdn, oculus.fbcdn and edge-mqtt6-shv-01-iad3.facebook.com - which is theoretically the update server but pretty sure its just one of many so likely won't be perfect.
    for now, the driver changes are rolled back and just not accepting driver update but it's not a reliable solution, knowing how oculus started to handle things after the beta phase.
    3Jane
    Oh i thought you have worked out an actual solution, my apologies.
    https://diginc.us/linux/2010/using-iptables-with-dynamic-ip-hostnames-like-dyndns-org/

• Phil007Phil007 Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    Seems my problem was being caused by an update to the EasyTuneEngineService that i use for fan control via SIV on my Gigabyte board.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Thanks for following up.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • gamefan101gamefan101 Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    danknugz said:
    mphotog said:
    or use a real firewall
    I use a thing called "Windows Firewall Control".  It links with the built in firewall but gives the ability to block outbound and inbound via a popup which appears when you first run something.  It works for me.