cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor choppy performance

sergiy
Explorer
The Oculus support is poor if you have performance issues on Oculus branded relatively new Alienware computer. About a month ago, out of the blue (maybe after some driver updates), the VR started to pause for about 200ms to 1s. The whole state is obviously not playable; yet, there appears to be no solution. Support team got me jumping through hoops: submitting logs, video clips, plugging/re-plugging, and re-installing, but not making any progress. I wonder how this experience stacks up to HTC Vive?
15 REPLIES 15

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
What Alienware desktop do you have, and what are the specs? As far as I know, Oculus doesn't "brand" computers; companies like Dell (Alienware) ask Oculus for their approval in labeling their products "VR Ready," and Oculus lets them, if they pass certain hardware specifications. Note that you shouldn't get mad at the company that makes the hardware peripherals when it's the company that makes your desktop that is *probably* at fault. Alienwares for some reason have been popping up in support thread topics much more than I'd like to see them, especially for supposed "gaming" computers.

TL;DR - If your alienware is giving you trouble, I would send it back to Dell for a replacement
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

sergiy
Explorer
Alienware does not give me trouble in Battlefield 1. Also, Oculus was working just fine for the first 2 months, but it is choppy now. My desktop is Aurora R5: 
6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6700 processor, Powerful quad-core processing performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology 16GB system memory high-bandwidth DDR4 RAM.1TB hard drive and 256GB solid state drive (SSD) for a blend of storage space and speed. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 graphics Driven by 8GB GDDR5

cybereality
Grand Champion
Did you install anything recently that might conflict? Anything that overlays or modifies the screen can cause problems, such as GPU monitor apps (MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, F.lux), remote desktop applications, screen sharing, etc. I'd also see if it could be an anti-virus / security software conflict. You can try temporarily disabling anti-virus. I could also be a USB driver issue. Either update your USB drivers to latest or (if that doesn't work) uninstall and use Microsoft default. Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

sergiy
Explorer
Thank you! I haven't really installed anything new, but the drivers might have been updated. The strange thing is that it runs smoothly for 10 min and then starts to have the intermittent tracking problems. The device seems a bit warm to the touch at that point.

kojack
MVP
MVP
That sounds like thermal throttling (maybe cpu, maybe gpu) due to overheating. See if you can find some software to test temperatures. Maybe a fan's jammed / blocked / running slow.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

sergiy
Explorer
Thermal controls from Alienware do not seem to show any heat on GPU. It looks like the Rift goes back a frame and then jumps to the appropriate position. This could be something wrong with gyros because the stutter is independent of sensor tracking.

DongOculus
Honored Guest
The tracking issue seems to have started with last Oculus update. whilst in the "lounge" , without moving my head, the image "jumps" a little. then a pause and another jump. it seems to be continually. The issue is evident in all of my games. If you choose VR MODE in steam - whilst in the grey room - the sensor seems to lose contact intermittently. I have the latest drivers and connected to USB3. nothing has changed hardware wise from before the issue started. Have restarted, reinstalled Oculus and gone through the setup procedure. Pretty much done everything to try to solve it.

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
If you're talking about your headset being warm, that's normal. So, the issue is; around 10 minutes in to gameplay, you get tracking loss for 200ms up to 1s at a time?

And have you checked CPU temps? Tracking loss would be more of a CPU thing than GPU.
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

sergiy
Explorer
DongOculus, exactly the same issue from the sound of it. The reinstalls have not helped me either. 
CPU temps look OK, 44C. The tracking loss is for about 100-200ms.