cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Tracking Pucks coming to Oculus? Why is Vive so ahead of the game?

JimmyMcVideo
Explorer
Having some easy-to-use, easy-to-integrate trackers like the Vive tracker seems highly critical to advancing this medium, in my opinion. 
Is Oculus working on its own tracking puck like this?!  https://www.vive.com/us/vive-tracker/

Virtual reality is currently only halfway to amazing, in my opinion. Sure it LOOKS real and immersive. But does it FEEL that way (touch wise)?  The ability to utilize (hopefully multiple) trackers to match visuals with real world objects seems like it should be an absolute priority in this world.   
78 REPLIES 78

DarkTenka
Trustee

elboffor said:

Atmos73 said:

KillCard said:.

People don't buy HOTAS for Elite Dangerous, they buy it for Flight Sims (which there are hundreds available), same applies to Steering Wheels.

I bought HOTAS for Elite Dangerous.

So did i actually.

So did I 😕

You guys are missing the point I was trying to make. You didnt buy the HOTAS for "Elite Dangerous", you bought it for a "Flight Sim named Elite: Dangerous".

i.e. you lucked out that an awesome peripheral for a game you wanted to play existed because it just so happens that it exists within a genre that has been around since the 80's and has had decades of support and MANY iterations of peripherals to follow. Hell you could even argue it had pseudo AR/VR before anything else in the form of Track-IR.

Thats how much software support that genre has recieved and we had to have TONNES of flight/space sim games before the HOTAS actually became an affordable thing for the average user.

I still remember playing Spitfire 40 on the Commodore 64 with a 1 button joystick! Thats how long Flight Sims have been around.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KillCard said:
You guys are missing the point I was trying to make. You didnt buy the HOTAS for "Elite Dangerous", you bought it for a "Flight Sim named Elite: Dangerous".

Yeah I think some folks are just having fun with this part of the debate lol

In my case, I first acquired Eve Valkyrie for free with my Best Buy Pre-Order. I started with the MS Gamepad and quickly realized that unless I wanna be the worst flight commander in this game... I should probably get a HOTAS. Yet when I started researching advice on the best HOTAS to buy, I wasn't looking for "the best Eve Valkyrie HOTAS." Instead I was looking for the best overall "PC HOTAS," for all Flight Sims, in and out of VR.

I enjoyed my Thrustmaster so much that I bought Elite Dangerous soon after. I plan to acquire more flight sims as time goes on.

So while it may be true that a specific game caused a consumer to purchase a specific peripheral, the fact is that the software was simply a catalyst for the genre-specific purchase. Thus... for some folks, Elite Dangerous was the catalyst for the Flight Simulation HOTAS purchase.

Whew!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oculus does not block every other HMD. They can use Revive or download the Oculus SDK to make their HMD's compatible. These facts have been true for a year. People with chronic amnesia should stick to Reddit.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I wish people would just except that VR is in it's infancy and will take a long time to grow. All these gadgets will eventually be rolled into one. I will buy the next headset that has better resolution and no GodRays regardless of brand. Until that happens all these little gadgets do nothing for me. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

I expect that Oculus will eventually have a camera-based body tracking system. (Didn't they acquire the team that developed Kinect?)

Oculus bought Carbon Design, who helped make the Xbox 360 controller and the Kinect. Although the company that made the actual 3d scanning part of the Kinect, PrimeSense, was bought by Apple.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

It would be a huge problem if you have to buy additional hardware to watch different kind of movies. But you don't need a different type of remote controll for action movies. That would be insane, right? It would also be insane if you have to buy a HOTAS to play a game, because that would decrease the amount of people who would buy the game and therefore result in bad sales.

We have to overcome that phase. And we will. But for now it is R&D phase.

Hahaha, you need to copy and paste the above and send it to Oculus because they deliberately and as you put it 'insanely' block every other HMD that's not a Rift playing their games. It decreases the amount of people who buy their games and therefore result in bad sales.

But back on topic.

That topic again... okay. I won't talk about "SHOP exclusivity" that much again, because we've talked enough about that topic (and even beyond).

If a game developer decides to release a game for the Vive, the Rift or PSVR (or a mixture of them) nobody can stop him from doing that, because those HMDs are similar enough to let him do that.

But if one of the big three (Facebook/HTC/Sony) decides to make greater hardware changes or is selling different hardware than a competitor, then a game developer can no longer release his game for every HMD, because it is getting to complicated to do that. Or the game developer needs to cut or change game features, etc. Call it 'hardware exclusivity'. Different hardware = different software.

You can develop games for PSVR, Steam and Oculus Home at the same time, because the hardware is similar enough.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

DarkTenka
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

It would be a huge problem if you have to buy additional hardware to watch different kind of movies. But you don't need a different type of remote controll for action movies. That would be insane, right? It would also be insane if you have to buy a HOTAS to play a game, because that would decrease the amount of people who would buy the game and therefore result in bad sales.

We have to overcome that phase. And we will. But for now it is R&D phase.

Hahaha, you need to copy and paste the above and send it to Oculus because they deliberately and as you put it 'insanely' block every other HMD that's not a Rift playing their games. It decreases the amount of people who buy their games and therefore result in bad sales.

But back on topic.

The amount of times I see this... "Oculus are blocking other HMD's from playing exclusive VR games".

Ok, firstly .. why is no one saying this about PSVR? .. how did Oculus become the soul target for this kind of hate? I would seriously like to be playing RE:7 on PC VR right now but you don't hear me complaining.

Secondly, Oculus REMOVED the DRM that was locking out Revive. Let's just let that sink in for a moment, a multi-billion dollar company opted to REMOVE DRM. Thats fucking unheard of in the game development business, and whether you believe it or not it shows a huge ability to listen to consumers on Oculus's behalf.

It's one thing to make a mistake as a company, it's a completely different thing to correct that mistake and admit fault. Most companies would completely ignore it, feign ignorance or give some kind of bullshit reason to cover it up.

But no, the damage is done, they've given the Vive fanboys a paper thin excuse to bash their competition and so far it looks like they're gonna plaster it over every wall they can find until the end of days.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KillCard said:
The amount of times I see this... "Oculus are blocking other HMD's from playing exclusive VR games".

Secondly, Oculus REMOVED the DRM that was locking out Revive. Let's just let that sink in for a moment

There is no sinking in with this type of individual. There is just spam. Lots and lots of bitter spam :#

DarkTenka
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

Oculus tale between legs reverses (to LibreVR's suprise) its DRM stance on the sly without announcing this backtrack to anyone. 

I shit you not. Google for clarification.

Ok,

https://uploadvr.com/confirmed-oculus-removes-drm-restrictions-blocking-revive-hack/

Update: After we ran this story, we received the following quote from an Oculus representative:

“We continually revise our entitlement and anti-piracy systems, and in the June update we’ve removed the check for Rift hardware from the entitlement check. We won’t use hardware checks as part of DRM on PC in the future.

We believe protecting developer content is critical to the long-term success of the VR industry, and we’ll continue taking steps in the future to ensure that VR developers can keep investing in ground-breaking new VR content.”

So.. the backtrack WAS announced, albeit like a day later but they did in fact admit fault and showed a progressive stance to furthering the VR community and listening to consumers. You can't possibly deny that.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
Thank you Atmos73 for fucking up this thread with this bullshit again.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛