New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I punched the wall with my fist and the Touch controller while playing Super Hot

nerdVRBuddynerdVRBuddy Posts: 77
Hiro Protagonist
Hi guys. i've heard others have run into same problem. I'm ok but i hit pretty hard and it hurt.
I have Guardian but it was kind of hard to see over a white background so i went through it.

Anyone has had the same experience?

PS the wall i hit was next to a window, i coul've hit the window

Comments

• BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    Poor wall...
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,803 Valuable Player
    These Touch controllers are mighty durable. I actually broke the tiny Joystick on the left controller last month. I'm not sure how. It just fell right off. However, even though it was clearly severed from within, I was able to lock it back in place and it functions perfectly normal.

Impressive. No need to spend an extra $100 just yet!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    lmao,  now I'm imagining someone punching straight through a window with their Touch controller.  While the neighbor or the postman or somebody is walking by.

But yeah, if your guardian walls are set only inches away from solid surfaces and you're moving fast enough, it's pretty easy to flail your way right past the guardian boundaries before you see them pop up.  I'd advise either drawing your boundaries a little farther away from where you want them, or just training yourself not to get too close to them to begin with.

Only the tiniest fraction of VR-owners have access to a play space that's REALLY large enough for room-scale, after all.  For the rest of us, collateral damage is always a risk. :lol:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    I punched my ~4000$ ceiling mounted projector proper hard as I punched a bot in the face in Robo Recall :astonished:

Luckily the mount held, and the bulp didn't die. Just had to spend 20 minutes readjusting the angle/rotation. :sweat:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited May 2017
    Yep punched the wall and ceiling while playing superhot...worth it!
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,064 Valuable Player
    Hi guys. i've heard others have run into same problem. I'm ok but i hit pretty hard and it hurt.
    I have Guardian but it was kind of hard to see over a white background so i went through it.

I hit the walls and celilings many times when I first got mine.  I moved it into a better play area where there's no danger of hitting windows or walls.  Guaradian works, but it doesn't matter how good it is, if you are moving quickly towards a wall, that grid will pop up when you are in mid swing and you'll still hit the wall.  The only thing I can recommend is making sure you are aware of your surroundings and if at all possible, move the setup into an area that actually has room.  Once you do that, you don't need to worry about hitting the walls.

The touch controllers still work fine, they can certainly take a beating.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,297
    3Jane
    edited May 2017
    I almost got punched in the face by a friend while I was casually crossing through his VR space to leave the room... lesson learned.

Also, for a front facing experience make sure there's plenty of room available beyond the guardian wall limit : In my case the front direction stops at the side of a bed (not at my TV screen), so you'll bump your foot in that bed before you can throw a punch at a wall/window.

The Oculus VR setup recommends placing your two front facing sensors on each side of your TV : That's probably the worst possible direction. Not only your TV could get punched down (through...), but it gives you the familiar but fake impression that the VR user is interacting with the TV and will casually notice you coming through if you travel between him and the TV... no he won't.

As for 360° mode it's all about staying in the center of the VR space... and making sure nothing will move through it : No room scale ! Everything out of arms reach 360° at all times.
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    These Touch controllers are mighty durable. I actually broke the tiny Joystick on the left controller last month. I'm not sure how. It just fell right off. However, even though it was clearly severed from within, I was able to lock it back in place and it functions perfectly normal.

i did this, repaired the little joystick thing under some powerful glasses with strong glue but it broke again and i ended up having to buy another set...
    ..but the good news is I now have spare parts and another sensor (-:
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
  • rlabellerlabelle Posts: 215
    Art3mis
    I was actually expecting a flurry of videos on youtube of people punching walls, windows, kids, and every other assortment of oddities people collect in their homes.  When the Wii first released people were getting hurt left and right.  I guess those of us that dabbled into VR are a different breed since, in its infancy, requires some basic pc knowledge and common sense, thus also giving us the know how to move things out of the way when you are blindfolded and flailing your arms.  Still, it was fun to watch people smack each other using the Wii. 
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1
    FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave
    Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    The first time i used touch (christmas day) i put the disk into the machine on the left in first encounter. I was really impressed when the haptic feedback kicked in as i pushed it in. The reality is i hit my three year old in the face :/
    Ive smacked my desk on a downward stroke throwing a robot to the ground in robo recall.
    Ive punched my wall mounted tv in superhot.

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • EvolutionMREvolutionMR Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    lol i broke mine 2 days after buying it, snapped the joystick off. I took it back to bestbuy and they gave me a new one.
    Smart move on their part not supporting the rift with their "protection plans". I've since moved my furniture around better
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo

Maybe reduce your guardian a little to give you a buffer before hitting anything.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • GaMeAhOLiCGaMeAhOLiC Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:

Same thing happened to me with my controller... There is something faulty in the analog sticks because I did nothing but normal use and it broke as well
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,822 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    lmao,  now I'm imagining someone punching straight through a window with their Touch controller.  While the neighbor or the postman or somebody is walking by.

But yeah, if your guardian walls are set only inches away from solid surfaces and you're moving fast enough, it's pretty easy to flail your way right past the guardian boundaries before you see them pop up.  I'd advise either drawing your boundaries a little farther away from where you want them, or just training yourself not to get too close to them to begin with.

Only the tiniest fraction of VR-owners have access to a play space that's REALLY large enough for room-scale, after all.  For the rest of us, collateral damage is always a risk. :lol:

Muwhahahahaha!
    I love my roomspace.
    WAAAGH!
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 301
    Trinity
    I had a "funny" experience with my Mrs soon after getting my Rift.
    I was showing her how good it is, and she was just sat on the sofa in home and IRL, when she turned around quickly to look behind her. As she did this her legs swung up and round onto the sofa, booting a full cup of coffee off the coffee table and across the room smashing into pieces in the fireplace!

She was oblivious to what had happened as she was so immersed in VR, she hadn't even realised!
    When she took off the HMD, she finally sees me with kitchen towels mopping up the coffee and collecting the cup pieces!!

I've not let her have a go since! :-)
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S
    Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,009 Valuable Player
    edited May 2018
    I didn't punch a wall but I demolished a brand new light shade I'd put up while playing Onward. I throw a grenade over arm and the sound effects of the light shade exploding sounded pretty realistic if nothing else. The new light shade was to replace the old one I'd demolished doing the same thing. 
  • AnnieCAnnieC Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I punched my TV screen two times, luckily no permanent damage was done.
    Punching walls, demolishing light shades, punching televisions. I think people might think we need anger management..
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    RedRizla said:
    Punching walls, demolishing light shades, punching televisions. I think people might think we need anger management..
    Step outside and say that!

o:)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • FieldOfVisionFieldOfVision Posts: 211 Oculus Start Member
    Does everyone have really low ceilings, or you are all really tall?

Latest VR game: Crazy Kung Fu
    Other games: www.FieldOf.Vision
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    I'm very tall!!! (well, I would be if I was a Hobbit :) )
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    I had a low ceiling before.
    Kept getting popcorn stucco in my hair

(Thankfully no longer a problem, all instances of hair have been removed. Performance has been improved drastically.)
  • Genetix604Genetix604 Posts: 73
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've got a video of a friend of mine playing super hot and he punched a door, we all thought it was hilarious. I've set the guardian system a bit further into the room now but I still hit my lamp shade, luckily its made of paper and bounces off of the controller.
    I got an electrician to remove my ceiling light and just use a lamp in the corner of my room now.. I couldn't stop hitting the light, so got an electrician to just remove it..
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    The day i got ky touch controllers i was playing the first contact demo.
    I put the disk into the 3d printer and as i did connected with my 3yr old girls face. 
    She found it funny, after saying 'are you ok?' She said yes. So lowered the rift back and carried on
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 353
    Trinity
    edited May 2018
    I punched my drink to the ground maybe once or twice but that is because I deliberately place it within reach while sitting on the couch.

Apart from that me and my boyfriend often hit the ceiling. We're both 1m90 and the appartement has maybe 2,5m ceiling, I can easely reach there. I can easely reach most ceilings where I live. However I never knocked something over. Playspace 3m by 3m  but actual free space is 4m by 4m. Outside the playspace is the TV, couch, pc chair, barstools and bar etc... whenever I wanna sit there I turn off Guardian (I often sit at my bar on a barstool or in the couch while at the Pug in VRChat).

Edit: btw 4 sensors 5m by 5m apart.