cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sound from Rift Headphones after Playing a few Minutes

Oimann
Explorer

Hi,

i have the Problem, that the Sound of my Rift Headphones doenst work after some time. When I start Oculus Home the Sound out of the Headphones is fine. Somtimes after 5 Minutes, sometimes after 1 hour, the Headphones stop working. If i restart Oculus Home, the Sound is back again. Using my own Headphones with my Soundcard, there is no Problem.

Is this a known issue? Any work around to fix it?  

88 REPLIES 88

cybereality
Grand Champion
I would guess it was an audio driver conflict on the computer. You mention Realtek and Soundblaster, do you have two sound cards (meaning 1 internal and 1 add-on)? It's possible one of those drivers is conflicting. You can try totally installing both software and use the Microsoft default and see if that works.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

jwvanderbeck
Explorer
Having this exact same problem.  Rift audio works fine for about 5-10 minutes in a VR application then just stops working for no apparent reason until Home is restarted.  Happening both in applications launched from Home and from SteamVR.

jwvanderbeck
Explorer
Is the Rift audio coming over USB using my standard system sound (Realtek or Sound card or Whatever) or is it coming over the HDMI using GPU sound (NVidia HD Autio or whatever)?

daniel_hill
Honored Guest
Have Oculus STILL not fixed the audio? Mine doesn't work, same problems as described 12 MONTHS AGO!! WTF?! FIX THE ISSUE ALREADY!!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hi, @daniel_hill. Can you describe exactly what the problem is you're having? It's possible it's a hardware problem and you may need a replacement.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same problem here. I have both onboard Realtek sound and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX card, but both work perfectly fine, I don't experience these audio cut-offs in any non-VR application.

One thing I noticed is that the problem appears to occur more frequently in more hardware-taxing VR apps (it never happens in Home or in Lucky's Tale, but frequently in Elite: Dangerous, for example). My graphics card is an R9 290, in case that matters.

@cybereality With the amount of people reporting the exact same problem, you should seriously look into this and not brush it off as "random hardware problems". I can assure you my hardware works fine.

Captain-Picard
Explorer
Oculus team doesn't care. They got your money. This problem has been plaguing tons of people since CV1. Non a peep from them. 

poquito_burrito
Honored Guest
Can confirm this happens to me as well. The solution at https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/comment/385592/#Comment_385592 helped me, played for an hour with no loss.

Oculus Home starts fine, then when I launch a game or experience about 5 minutes into it the audio clips and is gone until I restart Oculus Home.

Steps so far:
Tried multiple 3.0 ports
Repaired/reinstalled Oculus app
Disabled ALL other sound devices in both device manager and Windows 10 Sound in the Settings app, restarted, sound cuts out after 5 minutes. The installed devices on my system are Realtek High Definition, NVidia High Definition, NVidia WDM, Intel Display Audio, and Rift Audio

Merilious
Honored Guest
Just bought my rift with the big sale happening now. Having this issue as well. Tried the changing audio quality from DVD to CD and it worked for a few minutes but then cut out again. Also tried all the disabling of other audio devices. Pretty bum experience thus far. Was about to show my 5yr old the spider man VR, but have to wait till this gets fixed. Looks like it has been an issue for a while though. =(

i7-2600k
asrock z77 extreme4
GTX 1080
8GB DDR3
Win10 x64
i7-2600k | ASRock z77 extreme 4 | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Gaming | Win10 x64 

psychokroete
Honored Guest
I bought my rift yesterday and have the same issues too.. @cybereality: What about oculus warranty? Is this maybe a corrupt hardware?
Does anybody know anything about comparable problems with HTC Vive?