cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower back hurts alot when playing standing/dancing games, how can i Fix this?

nerdVRBuddy
Protege
I know it has nothing to do with the games . Just generally when i stand or walk my lower back hurts. I don't know why. Only thing is I have misaligned spine that may probably be the cause.  So the games i like and got for RIft like Beats Fever VR....make my back really really feel like it's gonna break.

What can i do about it?  And ps dancing and exercising in general also does it.
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I know how you feel. I have a bad back (probably early stages of Ankylosing spondylitis, since it runs in my family), and sometimes I'm not up to a lot of standing gameplay.

I think the exercise is helpful, though--doing it in short sessions without pushing it too much should eventually help strengthen the muscles and allow longer play sessions. When the active play gets to be too much, you can switch to a seated VR experience like Landfall, Airmech: Command, I Expect You To Die, etc.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

View solution in original post

Warm up beforehand, stretches at the end.  Treat it like a proper workout but don't just stop exercising if you have a bad back - worst thing you can do.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
When it comes to your back it can be a whole list of things. Twice a year for the past 5 years I have suffered back ache when standing still for long periods or walking. This could be a Herniated Disc, Sciatica or Spondylitis. There's a lot of exercises you can do for sciatica on YouTube. You must visit a Doctor though because back ache can even be something more serious in some cases

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star
Try to limit your playtime when stood up. See your GP and make sure you have the correct mattress to sleep on at night. I get lower back pain sometimes when stood up for long periods in VR. I found taking a couple of perscribed painkillers help before a VR session as well.
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

9 REPLIES 9

Keep doing it, exercise more.

Codeine Phosphate and Paracetamol 30mg/500mg.

I'm not a doctor.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I know how you feel. I have a bad back (probably early stages of Ankylosing spondylitis, since it runs in my family), and sometimes I'm not up to a lot of standing gameplay.

I think the exercise is helpful, though--doing it in short sessions without pushing it too much should eventually help strengthen the muscles and allow longer play sessions. When the active play gets to be too much, you can switch to a seated VR experience like Landfall, Airmech: Command, I Expect You To Die, etc.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Warm up beforehand, stretches at the end.  Treat it like a proper workout but don't just stop exercising if you have a bad back - worst thing you can do.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
When it comes to your back it can be a whole list of things. Twice a year for the past 5 years I have suffered back ache when standing still for long periods or walking. This could be a Herniated Disc, Sciatica or Spondylitis. There's a lot of exercises you can do for sciatica on YouTube. You must visit a Doctor though because back ache can even be something more serious in some cases

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star
Try to limit your playtime when stood up. See your GP and make sure you have the correct mattress to sleep on at night. I get lower back pain sometimes when stood up for long periods in VR. I found taking a couple of perscribed painkillers help before a VR session as well.
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

CrashFu
Consultant
Man I feel ya, OP.   I don't think my back (and knee) issues are medical, but 10+ years in standing-all-day occupations has done me almost as bad.

My recommendation is to invest in a back-support brace. Both for standing VR and just for life in general. You can get them at any drug-store or grocery that has a pharmacy department, for like... $30 or so? Gonna be honest, they're basically just girdles. But they do help keep your back straight and provide extra support when you're already feeling strain in that area.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Back braces are good for some but not others. If it's a trapped nerve then a back brace would make it more painful by pressing on nerve even more. He really needs to go to his GP.

CrashFu said:

Man I feel ya, OP.   I don't think my back (and knee) issues are medical, but 10+ years in standing-all-day occupations has done me almost as bad.

My recommendation is to invest in a back-support brace. Both for standing VR and just for life in general. You can get them at any drug-store or grocery that has a pharmacy department, for like... $30 or so? Gonna be honest, they're basically just girdles. But they do help keep your back straight and provide extra support when you're already feeling strain in that area.

Totally agree and they're very manly these days.

Just look at this guy:

A proper bloke!

jayhawk
Superstar

I know it has nothing to do with the games . Just generally when i stand or walk my lower back hurts. I don't know why. Only thing is I have misaligned spine that may probably be the cause.  So the games i like and got for RIft like Beats Fever VR....make my back really really feel like it's gonna break.

What can i do about it?  And ps dancing and exercising in general also does it.

Sometimes a lift (under one foot) can correct some low back misalignment, which is essentially what it's doing for me, otherwise I'd have all kinda of lower back issues, like barely able to walk around kind. Maybe talk to a chiropractor.