cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

orange light/nothing in headset/"guardian not working properly" notification

ezza
Protege
Was using the cv1 with touch controllers perfectly fine yesterday.
Today its telling me the guardian system isnt working at the moment and to click to read support article (which does nothing if i click)
So i go through the configure rift/sensor setup, i get to a part where i need to put the headset on to finish up and nothing.....

I have restarted the machine, backed out of the setup and still nothing, i tired superhot which shows up on my monitor but not the rift, just the orange light.

If i put on the headset/trigger the proximity sensor it gives me a fresh guardian notification with still no video in the headset.

any ideas or solutions? i will keep working on it and post up if i figure it out but so far kinda annoyed
40 REPLIES 40

Jay737
Protege
@ezza
Yeah men, win10 won't let you do much sadly. I'm still on win7 for this exact reason.
Try to google how to roll back the driver cause there is a big chance it is the problem.
What is your USB controller?

ezza
Protege
I'm not sure about us controller. But was all working fine.
Ok see if I can roll back gpu. Any particular version to try or just the last one?

ezza
Protege
OK progress

Now i have a white LED inside the headset!!!!
Oculus home takes me straight to the lens adjustment when started (where i left off), but when i trigger the sensor or put on the headset still just black screens (no back light either from what i can tell)

That was by rolling back the NVIDIA driver to 8189 (thanks @Siky )

But i think i have swapped the HDMI port and USB port so many times since i might have to now fresh install oculus home and see if that solves it

il keep you posed future person who is having the same problem

ezza
Protege
So it seems to be working fine again now, i just skipped the setup and it went back to the default home page, white led in the headset, put it on and there it is, all good!#

Thanks so muck for the help, i will tell the oculus support helping me with my ticket the solution hopefully can help people in future.

With my tin foil hat on i have a terrible feeling this may be a ploy to get people to buy new GPU's

Jay737
Protege
Yes you can skip the lens setup an from oculus home/settings/devices/rift/ run full setup again.
Congrats mate, I also have a feeling that this has something to do with "Buy oculus ready Pc" strategy:) Your Pc was good enough for a year but now it won't work because it's one year older therefore weaker:))

Jay737
Protege
OK here's what I've got so far..
In my case "lovethis" recommend to unplug all Oculus devices while PC is off. Start the rig and reinstall Nvidia drivers.
This didn't work but it was a good hint to begin with..
If you have Nvidia Graphics try this..

Uninstall Nvidia Experience first and then Nvidia Driver..
Restart and let the windows install the graphics driver them self.
Launch Oculus Home and run Full setup..

Somehow this worked for me. My rift now works again until I connect the third sensor when everything goes f...ed again:(

In conclusion: The latest Nvidia driver no. 382.05 kills the rift screen for some reason..
                         The win7 default 381.89  works fine until third sensor is connected..

Jay737
Protege
OK here's what I've got so far..
In my case "lovethis" recommend to unplug all Oculus devices while PC is off. Start the rig and reinstall Nvidia drivers.
This didn't work but it was a good hint to begin with..
If you have Nvidia Graphics try this..

Uninstall Nvidia Experience first and then Nvidia Driver..
Restart and let the windows install the graphics driver them self.
Launch Oculus Home and run Full setup..

Somehow this worked for me. My rift now works again until I connect the third sensor when everything goes f...ed again:(

In conclusion: The latest Nvidia driver no. 382.05 kills the rift screen for some reason..
                         The win7 default 381.89  works fine until third sensor is connected..

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also had this problem. Rolling back nvidia drivers through device manager fixed it, at least for the time being.

sandsou
Honored Guest
Shouldn't have updated my Nvidia driers, wasted all the time trying to fix the Rift.

I would suggest everyone who had rolled back through Windows device manager to re-install the second-newest GeForce driver 381.89 (Apr 25, 2017) that worked: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

My card is a GTX 770, if anyone wonders.

Sterling77
Rising Star
I did all this and to no avail - But .... 

" UNINSTALL ANTIVIRUS " - like all of it - I have spent 5 days under the hood - and this is what fixed all my myriad of issues - I'm talking every issue over my whole System and Oculus. Now Rift is smooth and SteamVR is running like a Dream.  

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook