cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could The Works of Mercy Be the Most Chilling Game in VR?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The Works of Mercy has been around the block for a while now what with a successful Kickstarter campaign last year and UE4 demo for backers. However, the team [Pentacle] are planning to release the game for VR headsets.  To me this seems like it could be an amazing VR experience  given then theme of being a reluctant murderer. I'm not sure how graphic it will be but the dark tone for VR just seems perfect if executed well enough. Check it out.

Steam Store Page

Official Website

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0E8F7B3YWc

About:

The Works of Mercy is a psychological thriller inspired by the classics of the genre: Roman Polanski’s “Repulsion,” “The Tenant” and Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining.” The game’s plot revolves around mysterious killings committed on seemingly random victims. Only this time it’s the player who becomes the murderer.

“The Works of Mercy” tells a story of a personal tragedy and wrecked psyche. When a cryptic tormentor forces the protagonist to kill people in order to save his family, the game’s hero (and the player) is posed with a series of dramatic questions. Who is the tormentor? Why is he so vengeful toward the protagonist’s family? How far do you have to go to satisfy him? How can you justify the killing in the sake of saving someone’s life? And how will you cope with the sense of guilt?

“The Works of Mercy” takes place in a photorealistic world as immersive as the real one. It lets the player get the very feel of roaming through murky locations and delve into the hero’s mind which is put to a serious trial. The game enables you to explore a fully interactive environment featuring the best elements of such games as “Gone Home” or “P.T.”

“The Works of Mercy” will leave the gamers with a lasting impression and face them with the question: how much could I sacrifice for my family? It will take the players through a dark world which gradually dissolves to an increasingly surreal vision of the protagonist’s mind captured in a lethal trap.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice! Yet another game to buy for me lol

Mind you, if I was that protagonist I'd let him kill them both...I ain't going to the slammer lmfao  😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
Holy shit those graphics are insanely photo-realistic! Looks like the UE4 demo room. I wonder what the min spec will be.

Looks really interesting even though it's not my cup of tea 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Any idea when this is supposed to be released?

zboson
Superstar

FrozenPea said:

Holy shit those graphics are insanely photo-realistic! Looks like the UE4 demo room. I wonder what the min spec will be.

Looks really interesting even though it's not my cup of tea 🙂

Yes, it looks like they are doing some kind of real time global illumination.

Fast global illumination combined with LIDAR and Photogrammetry is going to be awesome.  But what about physics and dynamics?  We will have to wait a few more years for real time fluid flow (though some can already be done).

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/415018/#Comment_415018
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/450225/#Comment_450225

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

lovethis said:

Any idea when this is supposed to be released?

Developer informed me this October if all things go to plan but that's PC release. Console and VR versions to follow. I did try the demo with the rift and it was wonky as hell but did show the potential a little bit.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Developer informed me this October if all things go to plan but that's PC release.

Wow... Shadowmask, the guy who always chastises YouTubers on this forum for their self-promotion is here doing a full-on Advertisement for a business. Nice 😄

Game looks cool. I'll probably buy it. Thanks for the Ad.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
You're welcome. 

For the record. I have no affiliation with the developers making this game. I merely approached them because I wanted to play their demo and I think you guys will too.  I like the premise of this game for VR. Being the killer is one of the things I was interested in for VR gaming from the beginning so If these guys can pull it off then it will be special indeed. I am happy that some developers are moving away from VR robots and zombies. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

For the record. I have no affiliation with the developers making this game. I merely approached them

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, I was considering developing a Serial Killer Simulator a while back. Decided not to in the end because it would end up being a bit too controversial!