Your Magic VR Moment

cybereality
Grand Champion

If you’ve had that “wow”
moment in VR, we want to hear from you! We’d like to collect the best Oculus
stories from around the world. Help us capture exactly what makes VR so
special, by telling us about the key event that first made you a believer in
VR. Your insights will help us as we think through the next phase of where to
take Oculus products. What was your magic VR moment?

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
113 REPLIES 113

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, my Mum and Step-Father were both completely blown away when they experienced VR for the first time.

Tbh I'm still blown away myself whenever I start playing Elite Dangerous. Think I'm going to put my Step-Father into one of the Elite Dangerous tutorials the next time they come up to see me.

Satconcook
Explorer
My first experience with VR was with the Gear VR at Six Flags. We stood in line for 2 hours, but I was determined to try it out. I was blown away and the next day purchased one myself. I went through every free thing there was at that point and started showing it off to friends. Some I would start them off light with an introductory to VR application, others I would drop into something like Sisters or Face your Fears. I then wanted to upgrade, but really wanted to be able to have hands instead of just more head movements. Now that the Oculus Rift and Touch are advertised everywhere, I couldn't resist and the VR world is so much more immersive now. Though I am amazed by several games I was amazed when I could see my hometown in 3D on Google Earth VR and can only imagine how much further it will take us, some places like the Devil's Tower, which I have never visited, looked amazingly detailed. Then I played Rec Room and this is how I imagined VR; a place to interact with people around the world, playing a variety of games and just pure nonsense at times. If this is only the first generation, I can only imagine where we will be in a few years.

flexy123
Superstar
Not sure whether I wrote about this already.

One WOW moment was with an experience where I actually didn't expect it at all.
In a social VR app, someone made a very large minecraft world. For someone used to high-end graphics, at first it looked "weird" since the entire world is made from these "blocks" and doesn't actually look "real" by any means.

In this minecraft world, there was lots of large buildings and a bunch of high towers.

So I went to one of these towers to climb it. Imagine a rather simple tower, like 300m (?) or so tall, where an endless very narrow staircase wraps around the middle...and you climb the staircase to go higher and higher up the tower

It started out "ok" since at first the staircase was enclosed with some walls, so you could not "fall down" since the walls prevented it. Halfway up the tower however, the staircase changed and it didn't have walls anymore. Just the steps, on the 4 sides of the tower, winding up and up. Every turn, I had to jump up a ledge to get to the next step.

The sense of actual height and possibly falling was the most intense I ever had.

While you walk around the sides of the tower, you look down. You see water down there, other buildings. You have a total sense of "being high up".

What made the experience FRIGHTENING like crazy (I have never experienced something like it) was not only that there was no walls and you had to move carefully not to fall down the steps.

It was that using the controllers, navigating was really wonky and you had to do precision movements to not "fall down" every time when you took your steps.

It was sooooo nerve-wracking, I started sweating and really felt like FFFFUUUU I CAN'T DO THIS. I tried to avoid looking down into the landscape on the sides, and only looking at my feet. But it didn't help much.

This was my most intense experience in VR since although I knew "it's only VR", my entire body was "freaking out"....it amazed me how VR can fool you like this. (Imagine these videos on Youtube from these Russian crazy climbers who climb all kinds of tall buildings...and the feeling when you watch them ..then you get a slight idea...)

Sterling77
Rising Star
Robo Recall / Medium / tilt-brush / Arizona Sunshine / the LAB - just amazing, today was definitely Medium and the ease of creative, as a Zbrush user i have never experienced something so amazing as Medium, I'm so excited for the future 🙂 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

JacobVR
Explorer
I had one of those "holy crap" moments last night in Google Earth VR when I was floating above Perth in Western Australia and just had the planet extending in all directions. I giggled and actually said "holy F#ck" (at which point my kids yelled "Dad!! don't swear")

Hakim55
Honored Guest
ok where can i find that opening video with the giant robot on the skyscraper? what is it called?

uKER
Adventurer

Hakim55 said:

ok where can i find that opening video with the giant robot on the skyscraper? what is it called?

Face your Fears

Gwiz84
Heroic Explorer
Actually wtinessing the mountains of madness in Edge of Nowhere was an epic feeling for me. Probably because I'm a big Lovecraft fan. This is despite the game not being first person or having any touch functionality.

The "Lost" demo when the giant robot stepped out in front of me made my jaw drop. Also really enjoyed the "introduction to virtual reality" demo (it's a shame most of the other 360 video content has such shitty quality it completely ruins the immersion).

The Dreamdeck demo with the T-Rex was also pretty frickin sweet and along with the demo where you stand on top of a skyscraper (really gives you that feeling of height!).

Madaras
Expert Protege
The Virtual tour when I first put on CV1 was my wow moment. I also said that oh so cheesy phrase (when playing with the robot game where you're grabbing disk in low/no G and putting them in some printing device) "This is the future of gaming." It was incredible to be able to interact with the world. It was smoother and clearer than I had expected. No Screen door effect at all, if there was latency I couldn't tell. Everything was as I imagined it would be, but actually experiencing it was phenomenal. 

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
i just played sports VR..I cannot believe i was in the game for so long..was playing pool and i completely got lost in the games hall..only thing missing is not being able to interact with people in there..otherwise its a great subsititute..but for me it was a moment where i realised the power of VR and how immersed one can be lost in it
Amazing!