cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P3nT's sketchbook

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Figured I'm hardly qualified for the "First Sculpts" thread any more and, tbh, I kinda like that being for first sculpts so I figured I might as well make my own sketchbook vanity thread like they seem to do everywhere else that 3d modelling and forums collide.

I'll post my crap in here. You guys can look at it and chuckle and hopefully start your own thread so's I don't feel like I'm the only attention whore in the place!

as4uv65urvj7.jpg

o0vb8h3zl0we.jpg

uvpzyuic3ltu.jpg

oam6w68jl539.jpg

835 REPLIES 835

Anonymous
Not applicable
@P3nT4gR4m awesome work with UE4! 

How did you find the new decimation export from Medium into UE4? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Decimation does what it says on the tin. North of 50k tris can be a bit hit and miss in engine with seam artifacts creeping into the normal maps and I'm getting much better results letting unreal merge the meshes but first impressions are good. No mess, no fuss, just import, hook up the materials and you're good to go. 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
So I downloaded the Steve Lord Head sculpt shortly after it was shared and I loaded it up and had a look and, as expected, it made me weep in my rift a little cos all the anatomy is just so beautiful and perfect and here was me thinking I had faces pretty well sussed :s

So tonight I figured, what the hell, lets use this for it's stated purpose and go blast some folds and wrinkles on it... 

Reve-f'kin-lation!

So I only just recently graduated myself to folds and wrinkles on account of the thinking I had faces pretty well sussed thing but, until now I've been scribbling my fine details on my own (unbeknowns to me) totally substandard underlying geometry and, as such it's been an uphill battle trying to get it all working. 

So I loaded up Mr Lord's bust and, holy crap, because everything is in the proper place and the proper shape, to boot, finding the way the lines flow becomes almost intuitive, although I did use a reference of Willem Dafoe staring enigmatically toward camera just to keep me on track.

Even better than this was the boost to my anatomy skills from having all the bits I was doing wrong literally waved in my face. I could feel my ignorance melting away with every passing second. I'd advise anyone who wants to up their sculpting heads-game to totally use this.

u28rygftd47o.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
K, so right now the plan is to spend the whole entire rest of my life dedicated to sculpting wrinkles on this model. 
5me6tqf5upgs.jpg

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star

P3nT4gR4m said:

K, so right now the plan is to spend the whole entire rest of my life dedicated to sculpting wrinkles on this model. 

Lol. Now you know what I was going through with those lizards. It feels like it'll never get done. We really need normal-map brushes for detailing -- right now that's my #1 request for the Medium devs, if they're reading this. 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Yeah, I feel you on those alphas but what I meant was I'm actually enjoying this so much. I don't think I could get anywhere near this effect if I wasn't doing the laugh lines one at a time. The pores and bumps, on the other hand - hells yeah, gimme alphas, like now!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was also inspired by that tutorial, thought it was great! 🙂 Working on a wrinkly sculpt of my own but it's taking ages! Running into the same problem as @DeadlyJoe  😛

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Cycles render

1pq6csyv4f9d.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Having another go at Crowley with references this time. Is better than the last attempt I think but still off by a mile. 

48x2srmzt5ra.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
So far the last while I've been doing portraits and anatomy studies which takes it out me. It's much more frustrating and can be a bit of a buzzkill but the way I see it, no pain no gain, right? Still, I had to let off some steam today and get back into the fun zone before I put myself off for life. Think I still have the fight thread in my mind, this little guy definitely looks like he's spoiling.

https://youtu.be/TfUOjbgLCy8