cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games won't launch. Help?..

LunarBlacksmith
Explorer
Hi everyone,

So after a whole drama with Oculus software and PC updates, drivers etc, everything is working fine. Except.. my games will not open. I have Ripcoil, Minecraft, and G2A Land (purchased after I found out they sell grey market keys 😞 ), I try launching Minecraft VR got from the Oculus Store like all the others and it opens but gets stuck on "Installing 0%" and I left it for 10 minutes and it didn't change.
I try boot the other 2 and they open for 2-3 seconds to the loading screen and then instantly shut down. I then cannot open them again, they just move about the "Recents" list until I restart my Oculus Home app, in which case they do the same things.

Anyone know a fix? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LunarBlacksmith
Explorer
I fixed the issue!

For the sake of anyone else who has this issue I'll give a step by step on how I did it. 
(NOTE: This is only how I solved my issue about why my particular games didn't work on my PC, if yours is different, the steps 8 onward may help you most.)

Step 1. Open your Oculus Home App and navigate to your Library where all your games are, ready to be clicked but do not open any yet.

Step 2. Locate this folder:
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
And launch the "OculusLogGatherer.exe".

Step 3. Hit the 
Gather All Logs
Button in the Oculus Log Gatherer program you just opened.

Step 4. Try to run a game (or more specifically any game that you know won't open/opens very briefly then shuts down instantly.) Oculus log gatherer program will do a bunch of stuff in its little box and then close when the game has failed to launch. It will then show a popup box telling you the directory location/where to find all the logs it just recorded.

Step 5. Find the log folder and open it. Mine looked like this and was placed on my desktop:
Oculus_Logs_RYAN_20170516_065143
It's in the form of a .zip folder. I have 7-zip so I used that to open the archive/folder and navigate through all these logs; you can just as easily extract your folder where you like.

Step 6. Find The folder:
OculusServiceLogs
Open it. Inside you'll find a whole bunch of text files. Depending on how your computer's sort default is will determine which one is the most recent. Mine is sorted by name so the most recent log it had was at the very bottom. Basically just look for the most recent one. Mine looked like this: (NOTE: Yours will be slightly different due to difference in date and time.)
Service_2017-05-16_15.00.46

Step 7. Open this text file and scroll to the very bottom. This part is a bit tedious, you have to look for a line further up that reads something like this. I opened a game called "Ripcoil", so part of my game's directory was "sanzaru-games-inc-ripcoil".
16/05 18:51:25.358 {WARNING} [ApplicationPackage] App sanzaru-games-inc-recoil has exited with error: 3221225781
The easiest way to find this would be to press Ctrl+F and type "{WARNING}".
This is what mine said, yours may say something else, but if you have the same error then you're reading the right post. 😄 

Step 8. A quick Google search leads you to a guide/forum that tells you what this error is, however I will tell you for convenience. The error is due to your computer missing certain files that it needs in order to run the game/app.
So, how do we know what files exactly?
Go to your file explorer. Navigate to whichever drive you installed your games/apps to, (for me, this was my E:\ drive, rather than my C:\. ) This is what my directory looked like:
E:\Games\OculusApps\Software\sanzaru-games-inc-recoil\RipcoilVRPackage\RipcoilVRClient\RipcoilVR\Binaries\Win64
"OculusApps" is the folder I created when I installed the main Oculus software and it asked where I'd like to put all the apps it downloads. Yours will be different. Just look for the "Software" folder where you chose to install your apps, and follow the same directory above while replacing "sanzaru-games" or anything "ripcoil" with the name of your game/app. Find the "Wind64" file if you have Windows 64bit operating system. It will probably be Win32 if it's 32bit operating system.
Basically, you want to find the game's main executable file. Windows will list it as an "Application" type. For Ripcoil, it looked like this, however, yours should still have the word "shipping" in its name.
RipcoilVR-Win64-Shipping

Step 9. Run this .exe by double-clicking it. It should try to start running it and then shut down, bringing up an error popup window. Read the error. This is the error that tells you exactly what's wrong, and if it's the same problem I had, it'll say things like:
The code execution cannot proceed because XAPOFX1_5.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
or
The code execution cannot proceed because X3DAudio1_7.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
or
The code execution cannot proceed because D3DCOMPILER_43.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
It may also bring up other .dll files that are reported missing. So, how do we fix this?

Step 10! Download the missing .dll files from this link:
Once you have downloaded all of them, take all the .dll files (and ONLY the .dll files, as they come in a folder when downloaded usually), place them on your Desktop. Select all of them > right-click > copy.
Next, navigate to:
C:\Windows\System32
Right-click outside of a folder in this directory so you put it in system32 and not in any folders in system32. Or press Ctrl+V inside system32.

Step 11. FOR WINDOWS 64BIT USERS. Navigate one folder back (into your Windows folder), and a few folders underneath system32 should be one called SysWOW64. Go into this folder and copy those same .dll files you copied to the system32 folder, into here. Note that this is in ADDITION to putting them in system32, not instead of.
After doing this copying, you can delete the original .dll files from your desktop/downloads as you see fit.

Step 12. Next, download and install this DirectX update which is not included in a fresh install of DirectX versions:

Step 13. By all means this is optional and not necessary, however, I thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone while I was at it.
Go to your Anti-virus software and create an exception for every game/app executable file that you have in Oculus Home Library. Meaning that .exe with the word "shipping" in it, and 3 or so folders back from that .exe should be another, much smaller one related to the same game/app - mine was called RipcoilVR - make an exception for these too.
If you don't know how to work or find your anti-virus, a google search will help, however if like me you haven't installed one yourself and you're using Windows 10 (I think it works the same for 7), you'll have "Windows Defender". To make an exception in here, follow this guide:

I hope this helped anyone!
Thanks to @FrozenPea for useful help!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
For Minecraft you need to make sure you've got Minecraft installed on the Windows store first.

Have you tried disabling your anti virus to see if its blocking it?

I'd suggest emailing support with your log files: https://tickets.oculus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

How to collect logs: 
Run "OculusLogGatherer.exe" by double-clicking the icon after navigating to this folder:

vannagirl
Consultant
Yes i noticed that my zonealarm is suddenly blocking alot more without any warnings even my internet 

Even when i add it to the list, i have to turn off completely to make sure things will work 
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

LunarBlacksmith
Explorer
So I made multiple exceptions in my Windows Defender antivirus software.

I ran the logs for when I clicked one of the games (Ripcoil), and I have sent the diagnostics to Oculus Support (who, btw, aren't very speedy and I have doubts they're doing anything at times.)

Also, I then went scouting through the logs and found this line in
C:\Users\Lunar\Desktop\Oculus_Logs_RYAN_20170516_065143.zip\Diagnostics\OculusServiceLogs
16/05 18:51:25.358 {WARNING} [ApplicationPackage] App sanzaru-games-inc-recoil has exited with error: 3221225781

I'm not sure what this error is though.

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
Have you tried running the Oculus setup again and doing a repair? It fixed a download app issue I was having and was quick and painless.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I would guess it's anti-virus related. Some programs, like McAfee, won't even working disabled (they must be uninstalled). Also, feel free to submit a support ticket.
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LunarBlacksmith
Explorer
I fixed the issue!

For the sake of anyone else who has this issue I'll give a step by step on how I did it. 
(NOTE: This is only how I solved my issue about why my particular games didn't work on my PC, if yours is different, the steps 8 onward may help you most.)

Step 1. Open your Oculus Home App and navigate to your Library where all your games are, ready to be clicked but do not open any yet.

Step 3. Hit the 
Gather All Logs

Step 4. Try to run a game (or more specifically any game that you know won't open/opens very briefly then shuts down instantly.) Oculus log gatherer program will do a bunch of stuff in its little box and then close when the game has failed to launch. It will then show a popup box telling you the directory location/where to find all the logs it just recorded.

Step 5. Find the log folder and open it. Mine looked like this and was placed on my desktop:
It's in the form of a .zip folder. I have 7-zip so I used that to open the archive/folder and navigate through all these logs; you can just as easily extract your folder where you like.

Step 6. Find The folder:
OculusServiceLogs
Open it. Inside you'll find a whole bunch of text files. Depending on how your computer's sort default is will determine which one is the most recent. Mine is sorted by name so the most recent log it had was at the very bottom. Basically just look for the most recent one. Mine looked like this: (NOTE: Yours will be slightly different due to difference in date and time.)

Step 7. Open this text file and scroll to the very bottom. This part is a bit tedious, you have to look for a line further up that reads something like this. I opened a game called "Ripcoil", so part of my game's directory was "sanzaru-games-inc-ripcoil".
This is what mine said, yours may say something else, but if you have the same error then you're reading the right post. 😄 

Step 8. A quick Google search leads you to a guide/forum that tells you what this error is, however I will tell you for convenience. The error is due to your computer missing certain files that it needs in order to run the game/app.
Go to your file explorer. Navigate to whichever drive you installed your games/apps to, (for me, this was my E:\ drive, rather than my C:\. ) This is what my directory looked like:
E:\Games\OculusApps\Software\sanzaru-games-inc-recoil\RipcoilVRPackage\RipcoilVRClient\RipcoilVR\Binaries\Win64
"OculusApps" is the folder I created when I installed the main Oculus software and it asked where I'd like to put all the apps it downloads. Yours will be different. Just look for the "Software" folder where you chose to install your apps, and follow the same directory above while replacing "sanzaru-games" or anything "ripcoil" with the name of your game/app. Find the "Wind64" file if you have Windows 64bit operating system. It will probably be Win32 if it's 32bit operating system.
Basically, you want to find the game's main executable file. Windows will list it as an "Application" type. For Ripcoil, it looked like this, however, yours should still have the word "shipping" in its name.
RipcoilVR-Win64-Shipping

Step 9. Run this .exe by double-clicking it. It should try to start running it and then shut down, bringing up an error popup window. Read the error. This is the error that tells you exactly what's wrong, and if it's the same problem I had, it'll say things like:
The code execution cannot proceed because XAPOFX1_5.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
or
The code execution cannot proceed because X3DAudio1_7.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
or
The code execution cannot proceed because D3DCOMPILER_43.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
It may also bring up other .dll files that are reported missing. So, how do we fix this?

Once you have downloaded all of them, take all the .dll files (and ONLY the .dll files, as they come in a folder when downloaded usually), place them on your Desktop. Select all of them > right-click > copy.
Next, navigate to:
Right-click outside of a folder in this directory so you put it in system32 and not in any folders in system32. Or press Ctrl+V inside system32.

Step 11. FOR WINDOWS 64BIT USERS. Navigate one folder back (into your Windows folder), and a few folders underneath system32 should be one called SysWOW64. Go into this folder and copy those same .dll files you copied to the system32 folder, into here. Note that this is in ADDITION to putting them in system32, not instead of.
After doing this copying, you can delete the original .dll files from your desktop/downloads as you see fit.

Step 12. Next, download and install this DirectX update which is not included in a fresh install of DirectX versions:

Step 13. By all means this is optional and not necessary, however, I thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone while I was at it.
Go to your Anti-virus software and create an exception for every game/app executable file that you have in Oculus Home Library. Meaning that .exe with the word "shipping" in it, and 3 or so folders back from that .exe should be another, much smaller one related to the same game/app - mine was called RipcoilVR - make an exception for these too.
If you don't know how to work or find your anti-virus, a google search will help, however if like me you haven't installed one yourself and you're using Windows 10 (I think it works the same for 7), you'll have "Windows Defender". To make an exception in here, follow this guide:

LunarBlacksmith
Explorer
I fixed the issue!

Step 3. Hit the 
Gather All Logs

Step 6. Find The folder:
OculusServiceLogs

RipcoilVR-Win64-Shipping

or
or

Next, navigate to:

cancarian88
Honored Guest
Hey Guys,
I had same problem, some of the games like bullet train, AirCar etc weren't running. Installing latest Microsoft Direct x resolved the issue 

Stonza
Honored Guest

have you tried this fix? it solved many "game wont start" issues. https://youtu.be/yG1jPY_0KLU