New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift versus Vive. I have only one winner.

123457»

Comments

• Chewie71Chewie71 Posts: 142
    edited May 2016
    @Hanover
    I think you hit the nail on the head. More compelling standing games will probably entice you to stand longer. But if I remember right, you don't own a Vive so it's just standing while holding on to an xbox controller, no? With all due respect, playing Windlands standing isn't nearly as compelling if your hands/arms aren't in the game with actual motion controls. With motion controllers you can practically become Spider-Man.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

KLOWN2 said:
    Comparing the Rift and the Vive clearly one winner the Vive let me tell you why becuase it is my hand where is Rift?? where is Touch??? where are my parts?? 
    I don't think even Vive tracks your 'parts'.
    :) 
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • TwilightSkyTwilightSky Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    I've had my Vive for about 3 weeks and my Rift just arrived two days ago.  My initial comparison:

- Display: The Rift's is definitely clearer, although the Vive's slightly wider FOV is noticeable and I appreciate that. But, overall, the Rift has a better display.  These are both gen 1 though, and it makes me really excited to think of subsequent generations that will have displays leaps and bounds better than these.  
    - Sound: I really appreciate the built-in headphones on the Rift, and they have surprisingly good sound. Juggling headphones plus all the cables on the Vive is cumbersome.  The one advantage to the Vive's approach is if you have really good headphones (like I do) then the sound can be even better.
    - Roomscale: Who knows, since we don't have the Rift's equivalent yet, but I can tell you it's amazing on the Vive.  While I tend to be a lazy gamer, and not in the best shape, the roomscale experience makes me want to move around.  Out of the box *at this time* it's a huge advantage for the Vive, so I really hope the Rift's implementation is well done too.
    - Software selection: this is key.  I think the headset that wins this will be the dominant one over time. At least right now I think the Rift has a better selection, but don't discount the Vive with Steam behind it, at least for games.  If one of them can get 2 or 3 'killer apps' that alone could swing the tide in its favor.  
    - Interface: The Rift's is more refined, but feels a bit more limited than the Vive's.  As a rough comparison, it's like Rift = IOS and Vive = Android.
    Comfort: This is one area I do differ with the OP. I find the Vive more comfortable.  I also like that it makes it easier to adjust the distance from lens to eye as well as inter-pupillary distance (with an actual display of the IPD number) to optimize your image. The Rift isn't uncomfortable, but I found the Vive, while more awkward to adjust, ultimately more comfortable after having spent time adjusting it.  

As always, lots of subjective opinions and it's best to try them each out first if at all possible.  Overall the Rift is my slight favorite at this point, and probably the one I'd recommend, but it is a close call.  Neither one is a bad choice.  They're both windows into the future, and that's a really exciting thing!

I also like that it makes it easier to adjust the distance from lens to eye as well as inter-pupillary distance (with an actual display of the IPD number) to optimize your image. The Rift isn't uncomfortable, but I found the Vive, while more awkward to adjust, ultimately more comfortable after having spent time adjusting it.  
    If you hit the home button on the Rift and choose the option on the right hand side "Change Lens Spacing" (or whatever it's called), you will see your IPD displayed at the bottom.  I don't own a Vive so maybe you're saying the Vive displays the IPD on the unit itself, but just wanted to ensure people know Rift shows your IPD setting in easily accessible settings.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
     @Zoomie, I thought the hole in the Vive controller was for 'part tracking'.  VR meat spin simulator.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Thank goodness @LZoltowski is MIA right now.  He'd photoshop something very NSFW into this thread.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • FokkerFaceFokkerFace Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist

janherca said:
    Both Rift and Vive allow room-scale

Stopped reading right there. Unless you are ready to prove that my 6m*6m (36 square meters) living room (where I have my gaming rig as well) is supported on full scale by Oculus Rift with tracking cameras.
    Reports that I have read usually mention that past 2 meter distance away from cameras tracking quality on Rift decreases and starts causing nausea.
    IF you'd say "I am comparing Rift and Vive for sitting and standing experience. Let me tell who I liked more, and why exactly" - your review attempt would be more or less legit. But instead you force false statements, and do not admit weaknesses of Rift. Rift has it's strong sides, so exploit them. Don't just try to spread misinformation instead.
    DK2 sold
    Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled.
    MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+
    Quick question @FokkerFace, is your rig mounted on the ceiling?
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • CLParkerCLParker Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's funny, I ordered my Oculus on day one within the first half hour. I also ordered a Vive also on day one within the first hour and the Vive showed up like a month ago now. I've been having a blast with the roomscale, but at the end of the day I just know that the Rift is the better headset in terms of reduced SDE, integrated headphones, comfort, etc... I've been patient, but it's now almost six months since I ordered the thing, I really hope it's worth the wait.
  • FokkerFaceFokkerFace Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2016
    Zoomie said:
    Quick question @FokkerFace, is your rig mounted on the ceiling?
    You've almost guessed it right. I was planning to run extension cord to the ceiling, to the center of the room.
    DK2 sold
    Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled.
    MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+
    K, just wondered how you were running with such a large play area.  Cheers,
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    edited May 2016

Right, so for the past 2 days I've had the option to really put a Vive to the test.

One thing is clear, both parties rushed to release earlier (or at the very least around the same time) than the other.

For the Rift this results in having to wait for Touch and for Vive this results in a headset that in a lot of ways is a dev kit.

The Vive controllers are good, they track really well but ergonomically they leave some things to be desired in my opinion. As for the headset itself, I would say it has NO ergonomics.

Weight distribution is not quite right, the cable can tug quite a bit, no integrated sound is a mistake in my opinion and I find the image quality to be perceived as less than the Rift, I don't see much of an FOV increase (I wear glasses in both), Also it gets very sweaty, even compared to wearing the Rift and moving around

This is a system that is fun to use and works well, but could do with a bit more polish.

On the other hand you have the Rift, which is a very polished headset with excellent ergonomics but it launched without the Touch controllers and there are currently questions if it can do roomscale as well as the Vive does.

On top of that it seems Oculus is trying to steer dev attention away from 360 degree roomscale.

This is clearly also a mistake.

Obviously this is yet another opinion piece and your experience may be different but right now I feel I want the functionality of the Vive with the ergonomics and display of the Rift.

It makes you think that if Oculus and Valve had stuck together and created one system it would have been the best of both worlds.

Now for the obligatory: If I could only buy one headset? question.

I don't really want to answer this conclusively until after Touch launches but considering I spend a lot of time in simulators (flying and driving) right now I would still prefer a Rift for the above mentioned reasons.

They are both cool devices though, and both are short on killer apps.

It's going to be an interesting second half of the year for sure.

I'll give the Vive back to my mate and I may buy one eventually, but not until there are full-fledged games utilizing hand controllers and Roomscale, and if by that time the Rift turns out to have Touch and work just as well, I may not bother at all.

Wintermute

@CharlieHobbes I am wondering how the Rift will hold up in the more active room-scale titles though.  It has a shorter HMD cable, no breakout box, less FOV, and there is material in between your face and the components.  One Rift user has already reported damp hair caused condensation under the lenses, so the facemask cloth might be light, but might not stand up to the steam and sweat that will inevitably happen when playing the more active games.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    edited May 2016

@CharlieHobbes I am wondering how the Rift will hold up in the more active room-scale titles though.  It has a shorter HMD cable, no breakout box, less FOV, and there is material in between your face and the components.  One Rift user has already reported damp hair caused condensation under the lenses, so the facemask cloth might be light, but might not stand up to the steam and sweat that will inevitably happen when playing the more active games.

Not when the Vive creates a vacuum seal against your face vs the Rift that breathes.  Damp hair is not a typical use case in my opinion.  If the Vive is not letting any airflow in at all, why wouldn't that be worse?  Anyone who steps out of the shower and into their HMD, no matter which HMD that is, is most likely going to end up with fogged lenses.

Also, if people are hard core enough to buy tripods, or mount hardware to ceilings and plug all sorts of hardware into electrical outlets, I don't see how an extension cable would put anyone off.

It's like so many Vive owners will bend over backwards to clear out dining rooms and drag their PCs  make sure it all works, but suggest you lift one finger to do the same sort of thing for the Rift and that's crossing a line.

@ThreeDeeVision At the moment I'm mostly concerned with things that Oculus can't solve.  They can cheaply and easily surprise everyone with extension cables and a breakout link (similar to a wired Xbox controller) packaged with Touch.  It wouldn't have to be a full breakout box like Vive since the Rift only uses a single HDMI cable.  The Rift does have a smaller FOV but I don't think this would prevent the Rift from playing room scale experiences.  You're better positioned to answer this than I am, obviously.

Thinking about it, two cables bundled with Touch would solve most of these problems.  An HDMI extension with a quick disconnect link will solve the length and break out (box) problems.  A USB 3 active extension paired with the second camera  will give users the option to place the camera in the optimal position for 360 tracking of the Touch controls.  The headset will work regardless of where you put the second camera because of the rear LED's.  I think Oculus should strongly consider the benefits of bundling $10 worth of cables with the Touch to support this.  The only reason to not do this is if Constellation really can't handle tracking something like a 5m x 5m volume.  This very well could be true, but most developer leaks and my own experiences with a single camera suggest it should work just fine.

Oculus has been silent about room-scale experiences lately but it does seem like they've asked developers to focus on front facing, based on the recommended two camera setup.  Even if this trend continues, the Vive 360 experiences should work with the Rift as long as you're willing to use an extension for the rear camera.  This would also mean that any Oculus titles would be playable on the Vive, but might not take advantage of full 360 facing.

I expect Oculus to make an announcement at E3 next month.
    I can't see the Rift headset being any worse than the Vive in terms of sweat and condensation.  The Rift has the nose gap and cloth covering that should permit more airflow.  The faceplate with the Rift is harder sponge, and it doesn't seem to soak sweat even compared to my DK2.  YMMV if you have a VR Cover or if we gain access to softer faceplates in the future.

- Arthur C Clarke
  • CLParkerCLParker Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist

They are both cool devices though, and both are short on killer apps.

I somewhat agree, but like all new technologies, its all about that tick/tock of hardware catching up to software, and then software catching up to hardware. Once big studios see the install base growing to the critical mass, our triple AAA titles are just around the corner.
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo

I'm not worried about cable lengths, this can be solved easily and cheaply. 
    I also believe that with the ergonomics and construction the way they are, the Rift has the potential of being the more comfortable room scale HMD. 
    I still don't see the less FOV argument holding up that much, but perhaps this is because I wear glasses and I cannot benefit from max FOV on either device. 

My only reservation with Rift and roomscale is that Oculus is encouraging development around 180 degrees and double front camera setup. If the reason for that is technical in nature and even more so, hardware related.
    (say the cameras have issues actually tracking properly) it may become a problem. 

If the hardware allows for it however I am sure it won't be a problem.
    For all we know it's the Facebook lawyers that are against 360 degree/large roomscale as they fear lawsuits for personal injury. 

Time will tell. 
    Wintermute
    Don't get me wrong folks, I am not saying the Rift won't do room-scale.  I think it already can do room-scale for the most part with one camera.  I am just thinking the Vive package does it a bit better, even when the Touch controllers release.  The smaller FOV isn't going to keep people from playing anything, that wasn't what I was implying.  I like the larger FOV when playing the room-scale games in general, but it is just my preference.  I find myself barely catching objects in my peripherals on some games (Audioshield Hardest mode and ZenBlade mainly).

@Hanover When you start playing the more active room-scale games you will sweat, I don't care how in-shape you are.  The damp hair post just proves that the facemask cloth isn't repelling moisture.  And you can't turn off your pores around your eyes, so you will be sweating into the Rift.  This will create the possibility of condensation on the inside and outside of the lenses.  I personally won't be risking my Rift by sweating into it until I see some confirmation that it handles it.  If I did try it, I would have a large fan pointed at my face and hope that the cloth was breathable enough to keep up.  I sweat like a pig in the Vive, like the kind of sweat where you go through a couple shirts.  The facemask on it is completely sealed so I never get moisture under the lenses.
  • GeraldGerald Posts: 1,068
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    IMO having a camera on the HMD is pretty important for proper room scale unless you're in some kind of dedicated VR gaming facility.  Not that someone couldn't make a little USB addon you attach to the CV1.  But out of the box it's a major advantage in room scale (for me) in the Vive.  And I think we have yet to see (in real home environments) how well room scale will work with a second camera that comes with Touch.
    Have a Vive Pre and still have never activated that camera after months of using it. Chaperone will do just fine for headsets without a camera (though of course it is still a neat feature).

But that said - I wait on how well the Touch does 360° before I consider adding a Rift. The headphones are really sweet and something I would care for more than the camera, but everything I have seen so far leads me to believe that Touch might only really shine in 180° use cases. I am open to be proven wrong - but in development I need 360°.
    check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons
  • TorturedTTorturedT Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Mr.Creepy said:
    @TorturedT Don't worry, you won't notice while wearing it.
    still, I would notice while not wearing it and that is around 85% of the time I'm on my desk. I know I will start a fire here but the Vive looks really ugly in my opinion.. I have a DK2 right next to me all the time and even this device looks much better (for me). I never had the chance to test the Vive so no comment about the quality, I'm sure it's a great expirience, but the Rift's design speaks much more to me.
  • cjwiddcjwidd Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    janherca said:

5. The most important point in my opinion, the one and only that leave in nothing previous three, is the Async Time Warp, the wonder created by the genius John Carmack. HTC Vive does not have this technology and it is super noticeable. I have done tests on a PC slightly above the minimum specs required by Oculus and Valve. The card I've used is a GTX970. In Rift all games are extremely smooth, even the most demanding, as Elite Dangerous or Project Cars. Never, never I have a drop of frames. In any moment. With HTC Vive sometimes there is judder. Not a judder to stop you playing, but there are moments in games as Elite Dangerous when entering a space station where definitely the wonder created by Carmack shines in all its glory. A GTX970 is enough to play Elite Dangerous in Rift, but not in HTC Vive.
    Never forget
  • ShadowMythShadowMyth Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I own both the Oculus Rift and the Vive and I prefer the Oculus as well for the already stated reasons as well as having tried the Touch controllers,  I find them light years ahead of the Vive controllers. On top of that,  I'm willing to wait for better controllers with actual games I want to play.  I am in the process of selling the Vive.  It's just sad that the only place I see similar thought is in the Oculus forums.  I know Oculus has been seen to make publicity errors,  but I just don't get the hate. Because the controllers didn't ship with the headset?  Honesty there isn't a single game that use the interactive types of controllers that I want to play. Better headset + better controllers + better games = a win imo. Besides the few games in the store and a couple racing games,  there's not much else worth playing at this point no matter the controller.  Maybe if Oculus had waited and released the headset with the controllers and games that support Touch,  we'd be seeing a completely different narrative. I believe things will change once everything is available,  because the Vive certainly doesn't have any games worth using their controllers with. I believe both headsets were put out too quickly since the library of games were mostly mediocre.  Keep in mind I am very picky with my games so maybe it's just me. 
  • vlodatovlodato Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    How people defend room scale over comfort is beyond my comprehension.... If I can only use the vibe for even half the time I use the rift without being uncomfortable then what's the point? I come from being a long time gear vr user and prolonged comfort was a HUGE issue. When I went to buy a headset my number one above all else was comfort. It's like buying an uncomfortable jacket that has a bunch of pockets.... Who cares about how many pockets it has when I don't even wanna wear the thing.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,885 Valuable Player
    edited August 2016
    vlodato said:
    How people defend room scale over comfort is beyond my comprehension....
    From what I've seen, it's as if room-scale tracking and motion controllers have given gamers who spent years sitting down a chance to pretend that they are "working out." It's not their fault really; non-gamers tend to make fun of gamers for being out-of-shape. The HTC Vive has finally given them a rebuttal.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,885 Valuable Player
    While I don't necessarily agree with the overall stance, I appreciate the hell out of the cleverness behind that analogy @Atmos73

*applause*
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • jonilahtjonilaht Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    janherca said:
    After using both during a few weeks for me there is only one clear winner: Oculus Rift, and let me explain my reasons for saying this.

4. Lens glare. This effect of Fresnel lenses is equally pronounced in Vive than in Oculus Rift. Both share the same problem. In games with high-contrast black backgrounds with bright interfaces, such as Elite Dangerous, it is a problem that is very pronounced and very annoying. You can only reduce it by decreasing the brightness of the interface, but even that way it pops out. This is no better in Vive than in Rift. Both equally bad.

This is not true. While both use fresnel lenses, they are not the same. This is clearly visible where in Vive you can see the grooves on the lens, but in Rift you cannot. This might be the reason to Vive perform better in glare situations.

I am Rift owner, but I have tested both side-by-side in Elite Dangerous and the glare problem is non-existant in Vive. But I'll stick with my Rift due the other upsides. Hope this gets sorted in second generation CV models.

- Arthur C Clarke
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 514
    Neo
    My key points for buying a rift are - 

1 - comfort and weight 
    2 - touch controllers not wands 
    3 - creative apps 
    4 - sound built in 
    5 - oculus home and steamVR 
    6 - the package you get for the money is amazing - as the Vive is $1300 AUD and the Rift $865 AUD so really bit of a no brainer / room scale would be good if i had the room lol.