cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P3nT's sketchbook

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Figured I'm hardly qualified for the "First Sculpts" thread any more and, tbh, I kinda like that being for first sculpts so I figured I might as well make my own sketchbook vanity thread like they seem to do everywhere else that 3d modelling and forums collide.

I'll post my crap in here. You guys can look at it and chuckle and hopefully start your own thread so's I don't feel like I'm the only attention whore in the place!

as4uv65urvj7.jpg

o0vb8h3zl0we.jpg

uvpzyuic3ltu.jpg

oam6w68jl539.jpg

835 REPLIES 835

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Back to anatomy practice. Blocking in from memory as much as I could, then pulled up a ref to finish off. I've got a fair bit of the torso  and upper arms committed to memory now. Head was just a mess about with expression, rather than any serious attempt to learn anything.

73klkzg0rn3n.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
So the fun thing about anatomy for me is that the more I learn, the more a know how to build things out of biology. Even things that don't exist, like a skull with one eye socket. It's a good laugh to mix it up and figure out how a cyclops might be wired together.

I've given him two eyebrows, though, because most cyclopses (cyclopi?) I've seen have one and I'm thinking that might limit your options when it comes to expressions. 

kgp8sd6e57q3.jpg 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
More messing with anatomy. Tried to do everything in a different order and a different way than I usually do it by way of snapping me out of any bad habits I might have fallen into. Started with the torso and then built the head a completely different way. Ended up with a beak just cuz. Not happy with the end result, since he looks really square from the front but as an exercise I'm pretty pleased it's served it's purpose.
dj49n4w6agz1.jpg
ekqmk3v4uj2v.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Beak came out great! You always get the eyes perfect too!

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Thanks dude. Eyes are easy to me, dunno why. Used to be the same with photoshop. Got to a stage years back where I had to force myself to leave the eyes blocked in until the rest of the face was done or else the rest of the face just plain never got done.

Now that I'm into sculpting I'm finding I need to apply the same formula. If I detail the eyes too soon I lose motivation to do the rest. It's like something in my subconscious is saying, "Yeah, it's looking at me now, mission accomplished" 

Case in point. Note how level of detail is inversely proportional to distance from eyes. This was not a stylistic choice, I just lost interest once I had the eyes sorted.

2ao98e4gb5bh.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
kkfbsaab9zxy.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Bit more work on depressed looking sheep-dude
i8yf8ulcc2mo.jpg

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Another pile of complete mental. I blame the heat. Is cooking my brain!
https://youtu.be/W3L8IEPXwT4

cybereality
Grand Champion
That can't be comfortable.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
rb5zp7bru76s.jpg