cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing's worst than an Oculus gone bad...

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
Nothing's worst than an Oculus gone bad when you have friends that you only see a few times a year over to check it out. After months of all the hype of getting together for a weekend of food, drinks, retro gaming and using the Oculus with the Virtuix Omni (I finally received after 4 years), the virtual reality part did not happen.

I was pretty disappointed because this is the first time I have ever encountered an issue that I couldn't solve with the Oculus. Here's what I happened:
  • I moved my PC from my office on the second floor to the basement because that's the only place I could put the Omni. I left the 2 sensors I used with that PC in my office to use the Oculus with my other PC when I develop.
  • I purchased 2 other sensors and Touch controllers for the basement.
  • I went through the process of connecting the sensors and the Touch controllers and they were detected without any issue. I used extension cables for the newly connected sensors and the Oculus.
  • When the setup got to the part where you would put on the Oculus, nothing happened. Black screen, amber light. 
  • I tried a variety of "fixes" from other people having similar issues such as unplugging, restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling, trying different ports, trying it without the extension cables but nothing worked. So far I'm only able to hear the sound from Oculus Home or whatever else I launch but can't see it within the Oculus. 
I have yet to try the original sensors or see if I can remove the sensors from the settings to see if having 4 sensors in the settings even if the original 2 are not-in-use/disabled have somehow messed things up. I also haven't looked at the log but I'll try to do that when I get home after work. I just wanted to write this since it was on my mind at work and hope someone can offer any suggestions that worked for them. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue but with different fixes and from what it seems, unknown causes. I had 2 TV's setup and having my friend point out how the older gaming consoles (Nintendo in this case) started with no problem on TV #1 but the future tech is having problems without a quick fix on TV #2 increased my frustration and disappointment.

I hope I'm able to find a fix and hope if it happens again in the future I know EXACTLY what cause it and how to fix it on the spot. 

PC Specs:
  • Processor - Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard - Asus - Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
  • Storage - Samsung - 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Storage - Western Digital 1 TB Hybrid Drive
  • Video Card - MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G GOLDEN EDITION
  • Case - Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case
  • OS - Windows 10
31 REPLIES 31

Boterick
Honored Guest
Interesting, I have exactly the same issue today. I know that some of the drivers have recently updated, as well as some from Nvidia. Mine was working for more than 3 years up until a few days ago. My rig is DK2 on an alienware 18 (2x GTX880m cards in SLI), it's ran without issues until now despite warnings since the advent of '10 series cards, that my PC does not meet the minimum spec.

Boterick
Honored Guest
P.S. I did not disturb my system at all, other than unplug / plug the headset whilst not in use

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@Boterick, having you tried rolling back the Nvidia drivers?

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
Could you hear any audio? I too had my headset disconnect yesterday for the first time (black screen, amber light), but I could still hear audio. I thought it may have had something to do with me leaving the headset connected to the PC when I powered down the night before, so I restarted the system then connected my headset and it was fine. 

I know that our issues are likely not connected, but still I'm curious.

ksn
Protege
My Oculus stopped work after updating Nvidia drivers to 382.05. I rolled back to previous version.
Check it.

elboffor
Consultant
Audio is sent over usb and not the hdmi so video drivers wouldn't affect it
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@Calmfixup I could hear audio. I've always left my Oculus connected since I first received it and never had a problem. Unfortunately for me, restarting didn't work.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@ksn I couldn't get to it today but I'll definitely check tomorrow. I'll also check on my other PC too where I haven't setup my Oculus before.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@ksn my drivers were 382.05 and 382.33. I tried setting up the Oculus for the first time on my other computer: Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with an i7-2600K, 32GB RAM, and GTX 1070.

That didn't work..... it had the same result as my other computer. I hear the audio but nothing else. All of my ports are fine. I have no problem with using any ports on anything other than the Oculus at this port. The whole port issue is rather ridiculous in my opinion. 

Tomorrow I'll roll back the Nvidia driver even further than I already have and uninstall/reinstall everything again and run the diagnostic tools to get logs to post if there's any issues.