cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing's worst than an Oculus gone bad...

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
Nothing's worst than an Oculus gone bad when you have friends that you only see a few times a year over to check it out. After months of all the hype of getting together for a weekend of food, drinks, retro gaming and using the Oculus with the Virtuix Omni (I finally received after 4 years), the virtual reality part did not happen.

I was pretty disappointed because this is the first time I have ever encountered an issue that I couldn't solve with the Oculus. Here's what I happened:
  • I moved my PC from my office on the second floor to the basement because that's the only place I could put the Omni. I left the 2 sensors I used with that PC in my office to use the Oculus with my other PC when I develop.
  • I purchased 2 other sensors and Touch controllers for the basement.
  • I went through the process of connecting the sensors and the Touch controllers and they were detected without any issue. I used extension cables for the newly connected sensors and the Oculus.
  • When the setup got to the part where you would put on the Oculus, nothing happened. Black screen, amber light. 
  • I tried a variety of "fixes" from other people having similar issues such as unplugging, restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling, trying different ports, trying it without the extension cables but nothing worked. So far I'm only able to hear the sound from Oculus Home or whatever else I launch but can't see it within the Oculus. 
I have yet to try the original sensors or see if I can remove the sensors from the settings to see if having 4 sensors in the settings even if the original 2 are not-in-use/disabled have somehow messed things up. I also haven't looked at the log but I'll try to do that when I get home after work. I just wanted to write this since it was on my mind at work and hope someone can offer any suggestions that worked for them. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue but with different fixes and from what it seems, unknown causes. I had 2 TV's setup and having my friend point out how the older gaming consoles (Nintendo in this case) started with no problem on TV #1 but the future tech is having problems without a quick fix on TV #2 increased my frustration and disappointment.

I hope I'm able to find a fix and hope if it happens again in the future I know EXACTLY what cause it and how to fix it on the spot. 

PC Specs:
  • Processor - Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard - Asus - Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
  • Storage - Samsung - 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Storage - Western Digital 1 TB Hybrid Drive
  • Video Card - MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G GOLDEN EDITION
  • Case - Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case
  • OS - Windows 10
31 REPLIES 31

Tquad88
Honored Guest
Wish I understood what "roll back the drivers" even means?? I hate FAcebook and my Oculus because I wasted 2K on a bran new Alien Computer and the Rift, worked fine for the first 2 months, then had the same damn issue. Updated some USB bull crap and BOSD. I think I got ripped off, and am not a fan of oculus for never taking their time to talk to their customers who spent as much money as we all did! BS!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem days ago, I fix It back to old Nvidia GeForce drivers 376.33, try this.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@TonyVargasAparicio would you mind providing a step-by-step on what you did? I've rolled back to 376.53 and same crap. I'm getting ready to uninstall everything and go to 376.33...

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@Tquad88 I know how you feel. If I can get it to work I can try to help you out but it doesn't seem like a one-size-fits-all solution. I spent far too many hours on this already trying solutions that worked for others but nothing. I'm trying to stay calm but I've come very close to taking a hammer to this and getting a Vive. The thing is, I've been with Oculus since day 1 and there are things about the Vive that prevented me from purchasing it even though I considered it when it first released. I never had a problem with DK1 or DK2...

Anonymous
Not applicable

kcampbell said:

@TonyVargasAparicio would you mind providing a step-by-step on what you did? I've rolled back to 376.53 and same crap. I'm getting ready to uninstall everything and go to 376.33...

I mate, my GPU is a GeForce 780Ti.
- Remove all USB components except mouse&keyboard.
- Plug monitor on HDMI and restart.
- Uninstall oculus software (Delete too all the oculus folders)
- Uninstall nVidia drivers whit DDU, just follow the steps and restart. http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
- Install nVidia drivers 376.33 and restart.
- Setup and plug Oculus as usual and restart.
- Plug all USB devices again.

That's work for me, hope help to you, sorry for my bad English.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@TonyVargasAparicio you're English is good and I appreciate the steps. Unfortunately I tried those and it's not working for me on my desktop. I was able to quit the setup and get to Oculus Home and by mirroring the display (first image) I can actually see that it works on my desktop, just not in the Rift. In the second image you can see my PC apparently isn't ready for the Rift but I've seen people with an i7-2600K play the Rift fine. The USB (ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host) seems to be a different issue. In the last image I uninstalled the USB Host and that removed the problem but using my front USB 3.0 slot didn't resolve the issue either. 

I'm sick of working on this PC so I'll take a break and move back to my most recent PC Build for the Oculus which shouldn't have any of these issues. The drama continues.....

tyroj0xob821.png
sj4t106vwa63.png
axxhw6b84it9.png

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
2600K works fine, just probably isn't in the lookup table the compatibility list uses.

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@TwoHedWlf you're right. I'm the type of person that can't stop until I fix it, a condition that's not good for anyone's health. I got it to work. After going through all the steps of uninstalling/reinstalling again I realized there was one thing I didn't try. I switched the monitor HDMI port with the Display Port I always use for the Oculus, even the PC I originally had it on. That seemed to work even with the USB issues displayed in the second image above but I do not have my Rift plugged into that so I'm not sure why it's popping up. Let's hope it continues to work and I'll get to the other PC that really matters by tomorrow.

Thmoas
Rising Star
Yes it's not always USB, sometimes using another display port is a workaround.

For example my Rift has a HDMI extention which does not work in the regular HDMI connection of my 980ti but it does work when using DVI to HDMI adapter.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Only just spotted this thread, but one thing I was going to suggest was to check your Devices and Printers in the Control Panel and make sure that you didn't have an extra display in there.

I had a problem before with one of the settings in Steam VR when I was playing around trying to see if I could get HL2 to run in VR. There was a setting that created like an extended virtual desktop display that the VR image was suppose to be sent to. It didn't work with the CV1 though so you ended up with audio but no image. The only way to get the CV1 back as normal again was to go into Devices and Printers and delete this extra display that had been created.

So if you get this issue again, for a possible fix, check your Devices and Printers in the control panel and if there is a display there that doesn't belong, just remove it.

Generally speaking, I've found that if a problem is due to the port ie a displayport or HDMI, then the headset will not work full stop. As in Oculus Home won't even detect it.