cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 driver error in control panel.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Hi, I'm getting a driver error in my Win 10 control panel for the Rift CV1.

In the hardware properties window there is an error for the Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub and the device status is shown as: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The request is not supported.

Is there anything I can do to sort this out?

I can't say when this error has first occurred as I've only just noticed it, but it wasn't there from the start when I first installed my Rift, so I'd say it has only been recent.

I also have an issue with my rear tracking LED's no longer working, which I already have a support ticket for, but this has happened since then.

Apart from the rear tracking problem the Rift seems to still work OK though.
46 REPLIES 46

Chazmeister
Rising Star
I wouldn't worry about it. It seems to come and go with various updates. It's not caused me any issues that I'm aware of though. I still have it even now.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Just found this thread when searching on google, I get the same error message sometimes in windows too. I'm wondering if it's because we have so many things using USB at same time. Especially since getting Rift and Touch. I have about 10 USB slots on my motherboard and case and all 10 are in use. Perhaps motherboard manufacturers need to make their USB technology more stable in future.

Everything seems to work fine though, no issues with the PC or my Oculus Rift.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Chazmeister
Rising Star
At the moment I'm back on my single sensor setup and still have the error, so I don't think it's that.

WebMaximus
Protege
I don't have this problem anymore in the latest version of the Oculus software but I worked around it in the past by setting the Oculus service startup mode to automatic with delayed start so you might want to try that. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have this problem anymore in the latest version of the Oculus software but I worked around it in the past by setting the Oculus service startup mode to automatic with delayed start so you might want to try that. 

It may help, but it's not a guarantee. It made no difference for me, the error continued to crop up erratically and intermittently just as before.

WebMaximus
Protege
Sorry to hear that.

Let's hope Oculus will eventually be able to sort this permanently. 

CaptainInfamous
Protege
Is this hardware ID for a USB hub in the HMD or something?  

USB\VID_2833&PID_3031&REV_5000

That's what my generic superspeed usb hub driver error says its hardware ID is... I have 3 others in my usb device list just like it.  The difference is that the other 3 are all made by Genesys Logic, are the only 3 usb hubs like this i expected to see on my motherboard, and none of them have a VID of 2833, they're all USB\VID_05E3&PID_0616&REV_2221.  

Seems that either Oculus got into the USB Hub business (since their USB VID is 2833), or some wires were crossed at Microsoft that has caused the wrong driver to be installed and that's why it's constantly throwing up errors, because the driver isn't correct.

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer
Is it an inateck card by chance? 
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

tyko
Honored Guest
i ran into this problem for a while , no problems using the rift though . but its very annoying that when u starting windows u got that popup thats usb devices not working blablabla.

Try disabling thing in the bios didnt made the error going away.

So i dived back into resolving this code 31  issue and for me  changing the powermanagement on all usb controllers (disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power")  did the trick.
just like dengar i couldnt change that setting on the "problem device" due to the error.
But Like i said disabling that on the other controllers did work for me .

BTW .
specs are an MSI z87i motherboard  in nightblade barebone with i7 4790k
using the onboard USB ports (NO usb pci e card in use)  
GTX 1080  16 GB ram (has nothing to do with it i think ) 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been getting similar errors as well. First I was getting (in Device Manager):

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
then
Unknown USB Device (Port Reset failed)
then
Unknown USB Device (Link in Compliance Mode)
and now
Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub with the Yellow Triangle and a device status of:

"
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The request is not supported.
"

My Rift headset was usually plugged into 1 of 2 of my Front USB 3.0 ports, but Oculus was saying it was plugged into a 2.0 port. I then tried plugging the headset into a 3.0 port in the back, thinking there might be an issue with the Front USB ports, and for a couple minutes it showed up as 3.0 in Oculus, but then went back to being 2.0 after a Windows 10 USB failure notification popped up.

I've forced my Power Profile to High Performance via. Local Policy due to Oculus and Explorer fighting and switching back and forth between High Performance and Balanced. I've also disabled Power Saving on all the USB devices/hubs.

Rift still seems to function normally, but wondering if the Rift HMD saying it's on a USB 2.0 port while plugged into USB 3.0 port is degrading the performance of the HMD or Touch controllers.

Windows 10 x64
Asus Maximus IX Hero
3x Sensors (Sensor 1 and 2 connected to USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1, Sensor 3 connected to USB 3.1 Gen 2 with Active USB 3.0 Extension Cable)
Headset connected to USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 port