New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

GZ3Doom [Updated for SDK 1.3] Doom1/2/Heretic/Hexen

1234568»

Comments

  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    will this mod ever get motion control support?
  • cmbrunscmbruns Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    RABID said:
    will this mod ever get motion control support?
    What's motion control?
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    cmbruns said:
    RABID said:
    will this mod ever get motion control support?
    What's motion control?
    lol, i meant motion controler support (touch, vive wands)
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    edited November 2016

    came to this thread to post the same thing. Really hoping someone can get touch implemented. Hoping to be able to decouple the weapon from the view (even if it becomes invisible) and shoot around corners with one hand etc.


    I would appreciate and love this more than any paid game.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    ive already put more time in playing this than anything else in VR. i also used it to run Brutal doom 64, brutal wolfenstien 3D, Blood, and Hexen. touch controllers would be amazing
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    I'm curious as to if it can play custom made pwads? My brother in law makes his own zdoom mods with I think "decorate code" and wants me to play some of them. I can still do so in 2d if needed, but I just thought I'd ask if they'd work. According to him the latest one may only be compatible if it was made with a later version of zdoom, since it utilizes some of the newer stuff only available on the later ones, and that gzdoom is normally a fair bit of versions behind zdoom. Here are a few things he's made.





  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    I've started merging GZ3Doom into DOOM3-BFG VR: Fully Possessed, to make them a single project. So now you'll be able to choose Doom 1 and Doom 2 from the Doom 3 BFG VR menu and play them in VR. Before, they were just a virtual 2D screen floating in a void.

    Currently, there's only a very small amount of integration, where they share the same makefile, project, EXE file and an icon, but are otherwise completely separate code-wise. Choosing Doom 1 or 2 currently exits and restarts the EXE file in gz3doom mode with it's own main function and program code. But it works.

    I hope to integrate them more to the level of the current BFG implementation, where they share a console, cvars, VR code, controls, frame-handling, and some configuration. And maybe even integrate them a bit more deeply.

    It's not really ready for a pull-request or release yet though. I still need to work out the best way to handle merging two completely separate git repositories, in a way that makes everyone and everything happy, and I need to integrate them enough to make it worth it, rather than just installing GZ3Doom separately. 
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    2EyeGuy said:
    I've started merging GZ3Doom into DOOM3-BFG VR: Fully Possessed, to make them a single project. So now you'll be able to choose Doom 1 and Doom 2 from the Doom 3 BFG VR menu and play them in VR. Before, they were just a virtual 2D screen floating in a void.

    Currently, there's only a very small amount of integration, where they share the same makefile, project, EXE file and an icon, but are otherwise completely separate code-wise. Choosing Doom 1 or 2 currently exits and restarts the EXE file in gz3doom mode with it's own main function and program code. But it works.

    I hope to integrate them more to the level of the current BFG implementation, where they share a console, cvars, VR code, controls, frame-handling, and some configuration. And maybe even integrate them a bit more deeply.

    It's not really ready for a pull-request or release yet though. I still need to work out the best way to handle merging two completely separate git repositories, in a way that makes everyone and everything happy, and I need to integrate them enough to make it worth it, rather than just installing GZ3Doom separately. 
    thats awesome man! my only thought is if its kept seperate wouldnt it be easier to run with mods by launching it with ZDL?, as i posted previously i also use it to run Brutal doom 64, brutal wolfenstien 3D, Blood, and Hexen all with HD texture packs, custom sounds ect..
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    holy shit yes we need generic engine support so we can do hexen, heretic etc and not just doom1 and 2, although i am very excited for whatever is available
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    just the idea of classic doom with being able to aim with touch! B)B)B)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    RABID said:
    just the idea of classic doom with being able to aim with touch! B)B)B)
    ^^ that
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    @2EyeGuy whats your opinion on keeping it seperate and adding touch?
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    2EyeGuy said:
    I've started merging GZ3Doom into DOOM3-BFG VR
    Currently, there's only a very small amount of integration, where they share the same makefile, project, EXE file and an icon, but are otherwise completely separate code-wise. Choosing Doom 1 or 2 currently exits and restarts the EXE file in gz3doom mode with it's own main function and program code. But it works.

     
    just read this and realized it could work fine with mods if its a seperate exe file. i use ZDL to launch gz3doom with mod files and one of the options is to point to the exe location so this should still work :smiley:
  • nasenkoboldnasenkobold Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    i'm loving this! thanks so much for making this mod!
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    touch support in gz3doom, is such a thing even possible?
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 540
    Neo
    danknugz said:
    touch support in gz3doom, is such a thing even possible?
    I'd be all over that chainsaw if it was.
  • cmbrunscmbruns Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    danknugz said:
    touch support in gz3doom, is such a thing even possible?
    I believe it's possible. But I haven't got it working yet. I have been focusing on getting VR to work at all in upstream gzdoom. Now that gzdoom is GPL licensed, I'm focusing on using the OpenVR API, since the Oculus SDK is incompatible with the GPL. https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/338

  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    cmbruns said:
    danknugz said:
    touch support in gz3doom, is such a thing even possible?
    I believe it's possible. But I haven't got it working yet. I have been focusing on getting VR to work at all in upstream gzdoom. Now that gzdoom is GPL licensed, I'm focusing on using the OpenVR API, since the Oculus SDK is incompatible with the GPL. https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/338

    damn thats a shame, hope that doesnt present any road blocks! touch support in gz3doom would be so epic!! i still dont understand how it would work with the gun sprites... i was thinking someone would have to remake doom to support polygons.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    cmbruns said:
    danknugz said:
    touch support in gz3doom, is such a thing even possible?
    I believe it's possible. But I haven't got it working yet. I have been focusing on getting VR to work at all in upstream gzdoom. Now that gzdoom is GPL licensed, I'm focusing on using the OpenVR API, since the Oculus SDK is incompatible with the GPL. https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/338

    Isn't OpenVR, despite it's name, also a closed proprietary standard like the Oculus SDK? Can you actually access, alter and redistribute the OpenVR source code?

    Or have I completely misunderstood the issue? Wouldn't surprise me if I had :)
  • cmbrunscmbruns Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    AndyW1384 said:
    Isn't OpenVR, despite it's name, also a closed proprietary standard like the Oculus SDK? Can you actually access, alter and redistribute the OpenVR source code?

    Or have I completely misunderstood the issue? Wouldn't surprise me if I had :)
    The OpenVR API is BSD licensed, which is very permissive https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr
    The OpenVR API is distinct from the SteamVR implementation, which is closed. But I only need to link to the API to get Doom VR working, so I can do whatever I want with my code. The Oculus SDK, in contrast, includes both sorts of parts in one lump, including some definitely non-free distribution conditions.
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    cmbruns said:
    AndyW1384 said:
    Isn't OpenVR, despite it's name, also a closed proprietary standard like the Oculus SDK? Can you actually access, alter and redistribute the OpenVR source code?

    Or have I completely misunderstood the issue? Wouldn't surprise me if I had :)
    The OpenVR API is BSD licensed, which is very permissive https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr
    The OpenVR API is distinct from the SteamVR implementation, which is closed. But I only need to link to the API to get Doom VR working, so I can do whatever I want with my code. The Oculus SDK, in contrast, includes both sorts of parts in one lump, including some definitely non-free distribution conditions.
    Thanks for the explanation :)
  • cmbrunscmbruns Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just to be clear though -- the OpenVR implementation of gzdoom will run on both the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive headsets. But in both cases you would need to have SteamVR installed too.
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    cmbruns said:
    Just to be clear though -- the OpenVR implementation of gzdoom will run on both the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive headsets. But in both cases you would need to have SteamVR installed too.
    I was aware, but thanks for confirming it.
Sign In or Register to comment.