New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I feel like I'm in VR when I'm not...

jkendt1989jkendt1989 Posts: 8
NerveGear
I bought my first VR headset last weekend and I'm having this weird side effect. 

When I look at my hands, I feel like they're not really my hands, like they're the Rift hands. Even when looking at my monitor I get the exact feeling like I'm looking my monitor in Big Screen. Like it's in VR and it's in 3d almost. 

The weirdest disconnect is with my hands. Even typing this I feel like my arms aren't there and it's just my hands moving. 

I love my VR and I am def keeping it. Just a very trippy feeling right now. 

I'm 100% not BS'ing. It's a very strange experience right now. 

Comments

• jkendt1989jkendt1989 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    haha that fits so perfectly! Finally coming out of that feeling. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,148 Valuable Player
    Yup, it's quite common but I haven't experienced it myself. Some people believe in the Simulation Theory, that we're actually living in VR right now. So when you're in SuperHOT, for example, you might actually be in VR in VR in VR!!!  :o

It's ALMOST tempting to make sure that I die just to see if I come out of this simulation lol  >:)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,879 Valuable Player
    I get that feeling sometimes, it's almost as though there is lag.  I.E.  I move my arm but it seems like my vision takes a millisecond to process the movement so it looks "out of sync" so to speak.  I usually can't spend more than 30 minutes on my rift before I just say it's enough.  But I played the new star trek game for several hours yesterday and that's what caused the feeling for me.  I just don't actually play it enough on a regular basis, but I'm sure we all get used to it eventually.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,612 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    I had similar experiences, as did others:

The first 2 weeks I experienced quite a bit of after effects from too much Rifting. Especially the first 3 days, I would randomly reach to my face to adjust the VR headset... even when I wasn't wearing it. And ooh the dreams I had the first week. Yikes!
    On at least 3 different occasions when waking up from a full nights sleep... before my eyes would open, it was as if they were trying to find their focus; similar to a camera lens moving in/out until it finds the clear sweet spot. My eyes were shut but the physical feeling was generating from my actual eyeballs.

The last time that happened was after a lengthy session with Darknet.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/38855/the-strangest-awakening

I miss those early days of Virgin Rifting <3
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,017 Volunteer Moderator
    Since getting Touch, I sometimes get the feeling that my hands are not real when I see them in my peripheral vision.
    Zenbane said:
    Maybe if you get a Vive, you can be a born-again VR virgin.  ;)
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,148 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Since getting Touch, I sometimes get the feeling that my hands are not real when I see them in my peripheral vision.
    Zenbane said:
    I would imagine that going from the Touch controllers to the Vive controllers would be like going back to the proverbial Stone Age! lol  :o:D:D:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,612 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Zenbane said:
    Yeah but then I'd "taking" instead of "giving," na' mean?

For anyone confused by what that means, I think PewDiePie said it best...

https://youtu.be/YLoAYWf-tfU?t=578

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,842 Valuable Player
    I am just the opposite, when VR I feel I am in the real world when I am not.
    ;)
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,764 Valuable Player
    I experienced text on my screen looking like it was on a 3D monitor for a while.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 507
    Neo
    Its the same as trying to pinch zoom a magazine or cmd z when sketching lol
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Enjoy it while it lasts. It eventually fades away.
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 372
    Trinity
    After playing Star Trek Bridge Crew for awhile and stop playing.  I feel like I'm still on the bridge lol
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU [email protected] hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    KillCard said:
    Yes it does but it is fun how reality trolls you for a little while
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    KillCard said:
    Yep I went through the same thing when I first got my Rift and faded after a few weeks! 

Although after I played Superhot for the first time I got a really weird mind fuck that things would only move when I moved in real life  :p I think we'll keep getting these experiences as new things appear in VR
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    For me not much happened at first but after a while I started noticing Judder in real life, lol.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,193 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017

Being a regular lucid dreamer, I have noticed I have started importing VR abilities into my dream abilities. The other night I was creating people using the same technique as medium does to create 3d drawings.

Once finished they would walk off quite funny.

Neo
    edited June 2017
    When you first enter VR, after the first two weeks you get really tired, one being the Touch controls and all the new movements and muscle memories - I put it down to basically your body / brain jump into VR and because its so foreign i think it thinks your dreaming - and the side effect of that is tiredness - and some sleepless nights. As for vertigo, i have experienced real world vertigo after VR and loss of minor balance. pretty cool really because it shows its working the way it should.  
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,104 Valuable Player
    KillCard said:
    When you first enter VR, after the first two weeks you get really tired, one being the Touch controls and all the new movements and muscle memories - I put it down to basically your body / brain jump into VR and because its so foreign i think it thinks your dreaming - and the side effect of that is tiredness - and some sleepless nights. As for vertigo, i have experienced real world vertigo after VR and loss of minor balance. pretty cool really because it shows its working the way it should.  
    I used to be afraid of heights IRL and experienced epic vertigo in VR in any games that allowed you to fall. After persisting with it I managed to rid myself of the vertigo in VR and surprise! .. no longer have a fear of heights IRL..
    I used to get vertigo from flat games like Far Cry 3 (tower climbing), Tomb Raider, Prototype (jumping off tall buildings etc) and others.

The first few games of Windlands back in the DK1 days was REALLY intense for me...  now I could give a fuck about falling or jumping in "the Climb"

Almost worrying how my natural "alarms" have been disabled through VR.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,112 Valuable Player
    Dam! I wasn't luck enough to have that happen. 
  • n3cr0-0n3cr0-0 Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    Wildt said:
    Almost worrying how my natural "alarms" have been disabled through VR.
    My friends have talked about this in detail, which we referred to it as "desensitizing". I spent many hours in darkness 2 the first month and found after a while I wasn't really concerned with mortality ... Such a surreal feeling, so awesome but wore off after a while.
    Neo
    At the park today - got motion sick on the swings lol worse than VR haha
  • HjalmHjalm Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    I am wondering if this will occur when I am snorkling with the fishes?  ;)

• JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 150
    Art3mis
    FrozenPea said:
    Yep I went through the same thing when I first got my Rift and faded after a few weeks! 

Although after I played Superhot for the first time I got a really weird mind fuck that things would only move when I moved in real life  :p I think we'll keep getting these experiences as new things appear in VR
    Similar thing happened to me after playing a few hours of Superhot the first time.  When I went back to Dead & Buried, I got killed a lot by freezing and being surprised when the enemies kept shooting at me.
  • DarkThroatDarkThroat Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I woke up this morning and went to rub my eyes and I could’ve sworn my hands were in the neutral pose that the oculus hands are; I also seriously tried grabbing my phone with the grub button, expecting it to just snap into place.

Too much time in the rift
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    IRL before using them I shake my hands to wake up them from standby mode.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    I was expecting nausea and much of the above as I had read a lot of VR experiences mentioning the above. But two weeks in I have not experienced any real side effects from playing VR - although I did feel nauseous the first time I played Lucky's Tale.

I feel like there is a bit of time dilation though - when I first played Virtual Rick-ality it felt like I had played it for 3 hours, but when I took the headset off it had only been a little over an hour, same with most of the games that I've played where "realistic" interaction is the main mechanic (DoomBFG, Robo Recall, etc.).

However the experiences where I am mostly seated or playing a game using the traditional gamepad/keyboard and mouse (NOLF2, VorpX, BigScreen, etc.) I seem to be able to keep track of time more naturally like I am just playing a video game or watching a movie even though the VR effect is noticeable (and enjoyable).

Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,054 Valuable Player
    edited February 2018
    When I first played Superhot VR on the rift I played for HOURS. It was my first VR game. I remember waiting to cross the street to grab a sub and caught myself thinking that the cars will only move if I moved.  

LOL

https://youtu.be/SOToC41dplY
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2018
    KillCard said:
    For me not much happened at first but after a while I started noticing Judder in real life, lol.
    I have this same "feeling/experiance"  I keep getting visual "slip" like when the headset looses tracking for a moment.  I even "see" it in bed with my eyes closed!!

Very odd, but also entertaining lol

I never had it prior to getting my Rift.
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."