cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like I'm in VR when I'm not...

jkendt1989
Explorer
I bought my first VR headset last weekend and I'm having this weird side effect. 

When I look at my hands, I feel like they're not really my hands, like they're the Rift hands. Even when looking at my monitor I get the exact feeling like I'm looking my monitor in Big Screen. Like it's in VR and it's in 3d almost. 

The weirdest disconnect is with my hands. Even typing this I feel like my arms aren't there and it's just my hands moving. 

I love my VR and I am def keeping it. Just a very trippy feeling right now. 

I'm 100% not BS'ing. It's a very strange experience right now. 
61 REPLIES 61

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I experienced text on my screen looking like it was on a 3D monitor for a while.

Sterling77
Rising Star
Its the same as trying to pinch zoom a magazine or cmd z when sketching lol
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

DarkTenka
Trustee
Enjoy it while it lasts. It eventually fades away.

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer
After playing Star Trek Bridge Crew for awhile and stop playing.  I feel like I'm still on the bridge lol
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

vannagirl
Consultant

KillCard said:

Yes it does but it is fun how reality trolls you for a little while
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

KillCard said:

Yep I went through the same thing when I first got my Rift and faded after a few weeks! 

Although after I played Superhot for the first time I got a really weird mind fuck that things would only move when I moved in real life  😛 I think we'll keep getting these experiences as new things appear in VR

DarkTenka
Trustee
For me not much happened at first but after a while I started noticing Judder in real life, lol.

Luciferous
Consultant

Being a regular lucid dreamer, I have noticed I have started importing VR abilities into my dream abilities. The other night I was creating people using the same technique as medium does to create 3d drawings.

Once finished they would walk off quite funny.

Sterling77
Rising Star
When you first enter VR, after the first two weeks you get really tired, one being the Touch controls and all the new movements and muscle memories - I put it down to basically your body / brain jump into VR and because its so foreign i think it thinks your dreaming - and the side effect of that is tiredness - and some sleepless nights. As for vertigo, i have experienced real world vertigo after VR and loss of minor balance. pretty cool really because it shows its working the way it should.  
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

DarkTenka
Trustee

When you first enter VR, after the first two weeks you get really tired, one being the Touch controls and all the new movements and muscle memories - I put it down to basically your body / brain jump into VR and because its so foreign i think it thinks your dreaming - and the side effect of that is tiredness - and some sleepless nights. As for vertigo, i have experienced real world vertigo after VR and loss of minor balance. pretty cool really because it shows its working the way it should.  

I used to be afraid of heights IRL and experienced epic vertigo in VR in any games that allowed you to fall. After persisting with it I managed to rid myself of the vertigo in VR and surprise! .. no longer have a fear of heights IRL..