cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like I'm in VR when I'm not...

jkendt1989
Explorer
I bought my first VR headset last weekend and I'm having this weird side effect. 

When I look at my hands, I feel like they're not really my hands, like they're the Rift hands. Even when looking at my monitor I get the exact feeling like I'm looking my monitor in Big Screen. Like it's in VR and it's in 3d almost. 

The weirdest disconnect is with my hands. Even typing this I feel like my arms aren't there and it's just my hands moving. 

I love my VR and I am def keeping it. Just a very trippy feeling right now. 

I'm 100% not BS'ing. It's a very strange experience right now. 
61 REPLIES 61

Wildt
Consultant

KillCard said:

When you first enter VR, after the first two weeks you get really tired, one being the Touch controls and all the new movements and muscle memories - I put it down to basically your body / brain jump into VR and because its so foreign i think it thinks your dreaming - and the side effect of that is tiredness - and some sleepless nights. As for vertigo, i have experienced real world vertigo after VR and loss of minor balance. pretty cool really because it shows its working the way it should.  

I used to be afraid of heights IRL and experienced epic vertigo in VR in any games that allowed you to fall. After persisting with it I managed to rid myself of the vertigo in VR and surprise! .. no longer have a fear of heights IRL..

I used to get vertigo from flat games like Far Cry 3 (tower climbing), Tomb Raider, Prototype (jumping off tall buildings etc) and others.

The first few games of Windlands back in the DK1 days was REALLY intense for me...  now I could give a fuck about falling or jumping in "the Climb"

Almost worrying how my natural "alarms" have been disabled through VR.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

inovator
Consultant
Dam! I wasn't luck enough to have that happen. 

n3cr0-0
Adventurer
Wildt said:
Almost worrying how my natural "alarms" have been disabled through VR.

My friends have talked about this in detail, which we referred to it as "desensitizing". I spent many hours in darkness 2 the first month and found after a while I wasn't really concerned with mortality ... Such a surreal feeling, so awesome but wore off after a while.

Sterling77
Rising Star
At the park today - got motion sick on the swings lol worse than VR haha
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

Hjalm
Explorer
I am wondering if this will occur when I am snorkling with the fishes?  😉

JoeManji08
Heroic Explorer

FrozenPea said:

Yep I went through the same thing when I first got my Rift and faded after a few weeks! 

Although after I played Superhot for the first time I got a really weird mind fuck that things would only move when I moved in real life  😛 I think we'll keep getting these experiences as new things appear in VR

Similar thing happened to me after playing a few hours of Superhot the first time.  When I went back to Dead & Buried, I got killed a lot by freezing and being surprised when the enemies kept shooting at me.

DarkThroat
Honored Guest
I woke up this morning and went to rub my eyes and I could’ve sworn my hands were in the neutral pose that the oculus hands are; I also seriously tried grabbing my phone with the grub button, expecting it to just snap into place.

Too much time in the rift @~@

YoLolo69
Trustee
IRL before using them I shake my hands to wake up them from standby mode.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was expecting nausea and much of the above as I had read a lot of VR experiences mentioning the above. But two weeks in I have not experienced any real side effects from playing VR - although I did feel nauseous the first time I played Lucky's Tale.

I feel like there is a bit of time dilation though - when I first played Virtual Rick-ality it felt like I had played it for 3 hours, but when I took the headset off it had only been a little over an hour, same with most of the games that I've played where "realistic" interaction is the main mechanic (DoomBFG, Robo Recall, etc.).

However the experiences where I am mostly seated or playing a game using the traditional gamepad/keyboard and mouse (NOLF2, VorpX, BigScreen, etc.) I seem to be able to keep track of time more naturally like I am just playing a video game or watching a movie even though the VR effect is noticeable (and enjoyable).

Digikid1
Consultant
When I first played Superhot VR on the rift I played for HOURS. It was my first VR game. I remember waiting to cross the street to grab a sub and caught myself thinking that the cars will only move if I moved.  

LOL

https://youtu.be/SOToC41dplY