cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Releases & Updates

naycorn
Heroic Explorer
Welcome to Oculus Medium! Medium uses Touch controllers to let you sculpt, model, paint, and play in virtual reality.

Please post all questions and feedback to this forum. 

You can share your sculpts with us! Find the Medium team @OculusMedium on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Happy sculpting!

Latest Update: 

Medium 2.3.3 Release Notes

km9xq0tlhhdu.png

Fixes:

• Fixed an occasional crash when selecting a Scene Graph node that didn't have an action menu (ie. the Grid node)

258 REPLIES 258

Martinity
Heroic Explorer
Totally agree with the above. Medium is for Oculus what Procreate is for the iPad pro. I'm pretty sure almost anyone who tries medium can see what huge potential working with 3d in VR has. 

Sterling77
Rising Star

Martinity said:

Totally agree with the above. Medium is for Oculus what Procreate is for the iPad pro. I'm pretty sure almost anyone who tries medium can see what huge potential working with 3d in VR has. 

Great perspective @Martinity but the part I don't like is Procreate haha > a bit of back story, So I owned an IPAD PRO and that cost $1400 AUD, used it quite a bit and vowed never to update it or have it slowdown. As Apple love to do - the biggest reason I sold/traded my ipad was the meagre approach Procreate had to the App.

As we all experience IPad and app store titles can sometimes become full packages or boutique. As i had contacted Procreate to suggest and push harder on Mirror Paint they still decided to play down the need for it. 

And basically I questioned the need for the IPad and wondered whether I should have bought a Surface Pro ( which I should have ) first world problems hey 🙂  

So to wrap up > I really hope that Medium Keeps climbing and getting better with time, and not falling into a Boutique app zone. With robust support and strong User community it should be fine. 

From what I have experienced so far with Oculus Medium is like no other, and the sheer creative enjoyment is very new creative territory - that in some ways cant be referenced or related to any other platform. Im looking forward to the development of a toolset that blends with 3D visualisation of Animation and Film, as well as 3DVR assets as the big part of it. 

This is my opinion from my personal experience - not a reviewed judgment on a product or package. 

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

MattHickman
Rising Star
We just pushed a small Medium update to fix a few issues, primarily around importing and an update to the website. 

Medium App Bug fixes:

• Fixes to the #Xanadu error frequently encountered importing OBJs.

• Meshes with quads can be successfully imported.

• Meshes with missing normals can be successfully imported.

• Fix for a bug that caused particle effects from tools to persist in recordings.

• Collections of Stamps and Ref Images imported from a folder should now import without error.

• All supported image file types now also support all of their extensions e.g. JPEG/JPG, without error.

Oculus.com/Medium improvements:

• New looks for view asset page.

cybernettr
Superstar
It's kind of strange how when you open one of your previous sculpts, it sometimes asks you in words to the effect "There are changes to your sculpt. Do you want to save the changes when you open it or revert to the previous version?" HUH? If I made changes to the sculpt the last time I opened it, then why didn't it ask me when I closed it if I wanted to save the changes? I don't remember what changes I made several days later. Also, after the update, if you open a sculpt that takes a long time to open, and you press the wrong button, it will take you out of the sculpt without asking.  Very annoying. 

Sterling77
Rising Star
I Think it's asking if you want to save the default sphere scene as it opened with - if you open a existing sculpt it will prompt you to save the current sphere one. Not sure if that's what your experiencing.

MattHickman
Rising Star

It's kind of strange how when you open one of your previous sculpts, it sometimes asks you in words to the effect "There are changes to your sculpt. Do you want to save the changes when you open it or revert to the previous version?" 

It's asking if you want to save what's currently in the scene before loading whatever you selected so you don't accidentally lose any work. 

Also, after the update, if you open a sculpt that takes a long time to open, and you press the wrong button, it will take you out of the sculpt without asking.  Very annoying. 

I can't reproduce this, what button(s) are you pressing that's canceling the loading of a sculpt?

Sterling77
Rising Star
I have Just Noticed that if you upload you model to the Medium Gallery - the OBJ that's available to download is placed at Zero in World space. 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
That .obj file essentially double the size of your sculpt. A lot of mine are under the half gig limit before it generates the .obj and then they're too big to share. If the .obj business could be handled serverside I'd be able to share a lot more stuff.

MattHickman
Rising Star

P3nT4gR4m said:

If the .obj business could be handled serverside I'd be able to share a lot more stuff.

We're looking at ways to improve saving, sharing, what files we generate when, etc. Lots of those things like file sizes, server timeouts, etc. we were learning for the first time. We definitely need feedback like this to help prioritize where we go next, still so much blue water!

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
To be honest @MattHickman If you don't have manpower dedicated to just web dev, I'm happy enough if everyone is busy on medium bugs and features. Website would be last on a long list of priorities