cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right-side headphone stopped functioning.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Oculus, I got my rift earlier this week from Bestbuy, and this morning when I put it on I noticed the audio on the right side was cutting in and out till it eventually stopped working all together. I imagine it has to do with the wiring inside as it seems to depend on how tight it is on my head.  Anyways; I don't have a clue about fixing things like this, so I was wondering if you could give any advice on what to do..   Thanks, I really love this product and it just isn't the same with only one side having audio. x_x
231 REPLIES 231

DarkTenka
Trustee

Brixmis said:

Thanks for your reply - these are all set as required.

I did find one very interesting thing, though, in the driver properties box:

muhuse9icnyt.jpg

I don't know what, exactly, requires 'further installation' but it gives me hope!

No time left now - I have to go, but will look into it later.

Hmm yea looks like that would be the problem. I think it might just be a case of waiting for Oculus Home to properly update your drivers.

Otherwise, maybe you need a USB driver update. You could also try unplug/replug the USB of the HMD to another USB port and see if it picks up or at least prompts to install the driver.

Another possibility ... just do a reset? maybe the "requires further installation" needs to be done at startup?

In any case, good luck. Hope you get it sorted out.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Thanks - yup, it has sorted itself out. Chuffed 🙂

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

flexy123
Superstar

reggieone said:

Well the situation is truly frustrating. It's obvious they have a design flaw on this ribbon cable attaching the earbuds. As different people are trying on your oculus. You are constantly readjusting the strap for their heads. That usually causes the problem.

I have no different people trying on my Rift. Except my wife whom I showed VR, maybe twice IN TOTAL.
The problem is really that the Rift and any HMD for that matter are "wearable" which requires that you take them off and on, constantly. And every time when you put it on it stretches and wears out this part. So yes, it's a design flaw.

flibberflops
Expert Protege
This has just happeened to me. The rift has got to be returned.

My concern is am I going to get a replacement with the same design flaw or have they upgraded the internal wiring to something more robust?

I imagine it will be only a matter of time before there are 100's of people with this issue.

shadowrydr
Protege
I had the same issue,  and here is my story. Just contact support and they will work with you.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/520786#Comment_520786

Win10 64bit Intel 6 Core i7 5930 3.5GZ-Water cooled/GA-X99 UD4-/HX1000W PS/32GB DDR4 2400MHz Nvidia 1080 FE 8GB / 840 GB-SSD-/ 2TB HDD-

Hjalm
Explorer
Mine also lost sound on the right earphone,  worked a while while I moved the right strap in and out to find the sweet spot but then the left side went out.  I sent it back to Oculus on the 31st.  I had my rift since last July with no issues.  Luckily it still  can be replaced.  For a back up I bought a new unit at Best Buy to alternate if these issues keep happening.  I thought I would then not be without a Rift in the house.  :wink:

flibberflops
Expert Protege

rj16066 said:

I had the same issue,  and here is my story. Just contact support and they will work with you.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/520786#Comment_520786

I have no issue with the returns/replacement process. However, I do have concerns that this is obviously a design issue. So unless the Rift has been upgraded, despite a replacement this issue will undoubtedly return given time. When it does, the headset will be out of warranty.

Hjalm
Explorer
Will the replacement Rift have a new warranty?

flexy123
Superstar
Welcome to the club....sigh...or "lol", or whatever... ;/
PS I don't *think* warranty extends with an RMA.

rdmilligan
Honored Guest
Had same issue with sound intermittent in right ear, then left, then cut out. Disappointing (stopped me developing 😠

However, Oculus Support were superb. After a few preliminary checks (plus confirmation of retailer purchase) they emailed postage label and I had Rift replaced in 8 days (from UK). Brand new, as far as I can tell.