cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing's worst than an Oculus gone bad...

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
Nothing's worst than an Oculus gone bad when you have friends that you only see a few times a year over to check it out. After months of all the hype of getting together for a weekend of food, drinks, retro gaming and using the Oculus with the Virtuix Omni (I finally received after 4 years), the virtual reality part did not happen.

I was pretty disappointed because this is the first time I have ever encountered an issue that I couldn't solve with the Oculus. Here's what I happened:
  • I moved my PC from my office on the second floor to the basement because that's the only place I could put the Omni. I left the 2 sensors I used with that PC in my office to use the Oculus with my other PC when I develop.
  • I purchased 2 other sensors and Touch controllers for the basement.
  • I went through the process of connecting the sensors and the Touch controllers and they were detected without any issue. I used extension cables for the newly connected sensors and the Oculus.
  • When the setup got to the part where you would put on the Oculus, nothing happened. Black screen, amber light. 
  • I tried a variety of "fixes" from other people having similar issues such as unplugging, restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling, trying different ports, trying it without the extension cables but nothing worked. So far I'm only able to hear the sound from Oculus Home or whatever else I launch but can't see it within the Oculus. 
I have yet to try the original sensors or see if I can remove the sensors from the settings to see if having 4 sensors in the settings even if the original 2 are not-in-use/disabled have somehow messed things up. I also haven't looked at the log but I'll try to do that when I get home after work. I just wanted to write this since it was on my mind at work and hope someone can offer any suggestions that worked for them. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue but with different fixes and from what it seems, unknown causes. I had 2 TV's setup and having my friend point out how the older gaming consoles (Nintendo in this case) started with no problem on TV #1 but the future tech is having problems without a quick fix on TV #2 increased my frustration and disappointment.

I hope I'm able to find a fix and hope if it happens again in the future I know EXACTLY what cause it and how to fix it on the spot. 

PC Specs:
  • Processor - Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard - Asus - Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
  • Storage - Samsung - 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Storage - Western Digital 1 TB Hybrid Drive
  • Video Card - MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G GOLDEN EDITION
  • Case - Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case
  • OS - Windows 10
31 REPLIES 31

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@Chazmeister the first thing I did was check the Devices and Printer (or however it's labeled in Windows 10) for my primary VR PC and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I proceeded with the steps that worked for my other PC: uninstall/reinstall Nvidia drivers (with DDU) then Oculus software, clean registry with CCleaner, do not install Geforce Experience, download Nvidia drivers manually, launch OculusMirror.exe if setup failed (which it did in my case) to see if anything is visible, swap ports (Oculus where monitor was via HDMI and monitor to display port), and everything was all good.

@Tquad88 if you still need help or more clarity in the solutions in this thread let me know and I'll be glad to walk you through what worked for me.

misssturbo
Explorer
I had the same thing - screen black, amber light, sound was working. I rolled back my drivers to the 376.33 like people suggested, but it didn't work. 
I ended up buying a 4k display port to hdmi adaptor which fixed the problem. It had to be a 4k-ready adaptor and not a 2k. So now my rift uses a display port and not the hdmi. Cost was about $10.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This thread may be relevant. 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/53237/work-around-for-black-screen-issue-on-nvidia-gp...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@misssturbo oddly enough I had to switch from using the display port to HDMI on both my PCs and the recent Oculus and Nvidia updates. I was also using the 4k adapter. 

@cybereality on a PC that I never setup the Rift, I had to roll back to 376.33 for it to work. That PC has a 1070 graphics card. On the other PC that I always used for VR I was actually able to keep the most recent Nvidia driver on there and that has a 980 TI Golden Edition card.

Boterick
Honored Guest
Latest on this (BEWARE): I tried to roll back my drivers as suggested. I used the windows control panel "Roll back driver" feature individually for each of my two 880 cards. My system froze with each. After 5 minutes or so waiting for it to respond each time, I cancelled the threads using task manager, assuming the processes must surely be complete. I then attempted restart, and could not even boot into safe mode, just black screen after a few seconds following power up. BIOS reported no graphics hardware found. Yesterday dismantled the system, removed the cards, re-assembled (2.5 hours - alienware 18 laptop), and restarted without issue using MS integrated graphics, hence my ability to post here now. I urgently need to produce some documents with this system, so will use it like this for the moment, but am interested in any opinions on whether or not the system will hang again when I disassemble, re-insert the graphics cards, reassemble, and restart again, whenever I get a further couple of hours to waste.

Boterick
Honored Guest
P.S. How can this thread possibly be considered "Solved" ?!?

TickTock
Heroic Explorer

Boterick said:

P.S. How can this thread possibly be considered "Solved" ?!?

Clickbait?  (fooled me, anyway)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

Kevinaki
Heroic Explorer
@Boterick @TickTock I didn't mean for it to seem like clickbait. I marked it as solved because I was able to use the steps I posted to solve my issue. I can remove it if it sounds misleading or doesn't seem to fix the majority of issues which may be the case.

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
No worries.  I'm glad you got your systems to work but, man, it sure sounded like a painful process.  Not the "fix" I was hoping for 🙂
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

MrCasillas
Honored Guest
Mine worked right out of the box. However as soon as I rebooted my machine it no longer can find my video card! Frustrating! Fix This! #MarkZuckerberg