cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the link to start the RMA process?!

falken76
Expert Consultant
I'm sick and tired of the HDMI disconnect problems with this headset.  I bought it in August and it has been plagued with this since I bought it, but I didn't have any games that I played all that much until I bought this star trek game.  Now the headset will cut out constantly, the screen will go black and when it reconnects my mic doesn't work.  I went here:

https://support.oculus.com/

Where do you go from there?  @cybereality can you post a direct link to whatever form we need to fill out to start the RMA process?  I assume this will take the better half of over 30 to 60 days since so many people report that it takes days between responses and most of those responses will be basic trouble shooting garbage that won't fix a thing.  So I better start this before the warranty runs out.  And does Oculus provide an RS tag or are we expected to flip the shipping bill?  This thing is heavy and bulky, shipping will be expensive.

17 REPLIES 17

falken76
Expert Consultant
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4n47ow/what_can_i_do_when_oculus_support_are_not/ ; Come on Oculus!  Hey @cybereality the lack of support at Oculus is legendary, but you're mentioned as a possible go to guy to speed up the process in that link. You're reported as the only asset at this company that can "remind" support that the ticket is opened, there are no other channels for help.  Support here is TERRIBLE.

Have you tried it on a "known good PC"?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

falken76
Expert Consultant
No, I'd have to take it all the way across town to a friends house.  I've found a temporary work around.  I have no clue if it's hardware related to this hmd or not, but it has HDMI disconnects that are actually related to the USB and not HDMI at all.  Swapping USB 3 ports with one of the sensors seems to have fixed most issues, but it still disconnects randomly.  When it comes back sometimes the Mic no longer works or the HMD won't recover.  I've learned all I have to do is re-seat the USB for the HMD and it's good for a long time again.  This is clearly not how it is supposed to function and I'm going to be coming up on my 1 year warranty expiration here soon and I don't want this thing to turn into a $600 brick the day before they respond to my ticket.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hi, @falken76 . Really sorry for the delay, I was travelling for a few days. In any case, it appears maybe you missed an email from our support team, or it went into a spam folder or something. According to the records, you ticketed in on May 31 at 2:01 pm and one of our agents responded to you just 11 minutes later. After that, I don't see any other responses from you or support. Please check your email to see if you can find the questions we asked (responding to the email will reopen the ticket). Or place a new ticket if that is easier for you. After you do this, PM me the ticket number so I can make sure we can take care of it. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

falken76
Expert Consultant
Thank you @cybereality I got a confirmation email in my inbox, but the response from the support person was in spam.  I'm waiting on support right now, but I think this is possibly going to be related to my USB ports.  Can you post a link to that Asmedia card from Amazon?  I'm going to buy it and see if it makes a difference since my computer changed a 3.0 port to a 2.0 port right before my eyes on oculus connected hardware.  If that isn't the problem, I'll just use the additional card for my external usb 3.0 Hard drives.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is the approved add-on card.
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

I wouldn't worry about the USB 2.0 message, the sensors should still work on USB 2.0. However depending on the USB controllers in your computer you could potentially run out of bandwidth (which is why the add-on card helps). 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

falken76
Expert Consultant
What concerns me is that it was reading a USB 3.0 port on the Oculus software in devices under settings.  It just changed to 2.0 on both the HMD and the other sensor at one point.  I get the feeling something is happening and my system is automatically dropping the ports down for compatibility for some reason, I wonder if these random disconnects after a re-seat are happening when the port changes from 3.0 to 2.0 when it finally comes back up.  In any event, I'll try out the card and worst case scenerio is I have a decent card that can power my USB 3.0 hard drives.  Thanks for the link.

Also, if I take just the headset over to my friends house or my brothers house whom both have rifts.  Will I just be able to plug it in for testing?  Or will the non matching Serial Numbers be an issue for the software?

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can take a Rift to a friend's house, it should work. The games are tied to your account, not the hardware, so if you login with your username you can access your games. The only thing you don't want to do is setup Touch controllers (for the first time) on a friend's account, as then they will get your free games. Hope that helps.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?