New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Medium Updates

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,421 Valuable Player
    @MattHickman Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this but when I was doing my last sculpt I noticed some strange 'scaring' on a default stamp, even through the middle on the stamp. Luckily I've caught it on video for you! 

https://youtu.be/O887saUE_B4?t=52s
    When i first put the stamp down at 0:55 you can see scaring on the sides, then when I use flatten tool you can see it in the inside at 1:13. This is the first time I've seen this happen so not sure if it's just that one stamp or a new bug.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 407 Poster of the Week
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 312 Oculus Staff
    Yup, sorry @FrozenPea that's in the stamp, we'll fix it in an upcoming patch.
    edited May 31
    So there a couple of things. Please other people add to the list. Not spook the Horses, but a PRO version paid update would be fine with me to produce I higher end Medium for production - medium is already efficient for production but the added feature list would mature the app. 

01 - Can you lock the mirror down, or recenter it back to the model previous. 
    02 - Extra lighting would be cool. 
    03 - Transparent shader would be epic. 
    04 - Can you move the VR recorded avatar person closer to the center or is it always over to the right. 
    05 - With resolution is there a option to subdivide - i guess its difficult as medium uses a VDB type voxel config. 
    06 - Custom HDR backgrounds would be great.
    07 - Do you think its possible to create a desktop helper app for import and export from medium - this could include a GOZ native to Zbrush and other export options. 
    08 - Why are the folders and exports locked in medium on Win7 is there a way to unlock them. 
    09 - Can you make the reference image transparent for sketchout and model making 
    10 - Added option for the line tool to have a A to B system - ie click A start point to B end point 
    11 - Native import of TiltBrush sketches and Quill 
    12 - Can you tell the at Quill to add a Mirror feature - again for concepting would be insane. 
    13 - How is the ram allocated to resolution, is it Graphics Card ram thats holding the model or System ram - ie when Up-ressing the model there is a point where it gets heavy - would increasing System ram help or is it GCard ram ? 
    14 - Where is 0 in the medium world space ? is it in the center of the grid or from the menu >Recenter< the reason i ask is that on export to Zbrush the model needs to be adjusted to 0 point. 
    15 - Export of Ambient Occlusion maps would also be great. 
    16 - Masking = epic lol :) 
    17 - MOVE tool !! this should be the most requested 

Thankyou
    18 - Snap gizmo translate and rotate - and the ability to keep it all in the mirror position. 
    19 - Passive Paint Stencils - ( I have an idea I will try lol ) 
    20 - A geometry Layer system - import and .obj to medium and keep an efficient decimation of the imported object / geo - The reason this would be helpful is, if your moving models back and forth from medium to Zbrush - medium dumps the model out as a decimated conversion - so bringing it back in as a stamp losses detail. having a Geo Layer would be really helpful and adding SDF type sculpts to this on a sister layer would also work really well.
    21 - Toon shader / Contour Shader ( if possible ) 
    22 - Maybe for the future a sticky joint system just like spore creature creator. Im sure they are using a voxel style dynamic geo type system. 
    23 -  Video resolution presets and photo presets - maybe a polaroid based setup where medium has a in scene polaroid camera and the image spits out the camera lol - and to upload this to a gallery you could pin it in scene to a medium corkboard :) 

Cheers 
  • shannonshannon Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I love medium and I want to use it more and more for production work.  Importing stamps is great but it would be game changing to import reference geometry.  Of course I would love a million other things (more snapping tools, custom paint brushes, texture layers) but being able to import low poly blocking geometry would be immediately useful.
    Wanted to pop in to make a quick note: Those of you who have followed us for a while know we don't really like to talk in specifics about what we're working on. A lot of it is experimentation and we're not sure it's going to work until it's near release and the last thing we want to do is make y'all feel like we've promised something we can't or don't deliver.

But you all should know we're actively working on many of the things on the lists you are all posting here and we do take the feedback we get here, reddit, FB, etc. quite seriously.

We're a relatively small team so it's all about gauging demand, weighing the cost (in time), and grouping like work to be as efficient as possible. Keep posting your work, sharing, giving us feedback, teaching us how to use Medium in new ways and we'll keep adding, tuning and refining it!
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,088 Poster of the Week
    @MattHickman - From where I'm sitting, you guys are doing a stand up job. I finished off a sculpt tonight that I was really stoked with and it wouldn't have even been technically possible with V1.0 Everything you've added so far is by popular request and yeah, there's a ton of unanswered popular requests and I've no doubt I'll be doing shit by the time they do get answered that's light years ahead of what can be done now. Can't wait!

Oh, and gimme alphas. Pretty please? Cherry, on top, gravy, all the trimmings? If paint is easier then do that first?

@MattHickman, You guys should be proud - Medium is the leading edge for VR sculpting. Thank you for what you have done. Interestingly as the app becomes more and more popular the requests roll in. I'm patient to see where you guys go with it. 
  • shannonshannon Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    What @Sterling77 said!  What a great piece of software to be working on.  If Oculus / Facebook is foward thinking they'll figure out Medium is the killer app for VR.  They should rain money on your team for more head count.
  • MartinityMartinity Posts: 139 Poster of the Week
    Totally agree with the above. Medium is for Oculus what Procreate is for the iPad pro. I'm pretty sure almost anyone who tries medium can see what huge potential working with 3d in VR has. 
    Martinity said:
    Totally agree with the above. Medium is for Oculus what Procreate is for the iPad pro. I'm pretty sure almost anyone who tries medium can see what huge potential working with 3d in VR has. 
    Great perspective @Martinity but the part I don't like is Procreate haha > a bit of back story, So I owned an IPAD PRO and that cost $1400 AUD, used it quite a bit and vowed never to update it or have it slowdown. As Apple love to do - the biggest reason I sold/traded my ipad was the meagre approach Procreate had to the App.

As we all experience IPad and app store titles can sometimes become full packages or boutique. As i had contacted Procreate to suggest and push harder on Mirror Paint they still decided to play down the need for it. 

And basically I questioned the need for the IPad and wondered whether I should have bought a Surface Pro ( which I should have ) first world problems hey :)  

So to wrap up > I really hope that Medium Keeps climbing and getting better with time, and not falling into a Boutique app zone. With robust support and strong User community it should be fine. 

From what I have experienced so far with Oculus Medium is like no other, and the sheer creative enjoyment is very new creative territory - that in some ways cant be referenced or related to any other platform. Im looking forward to the development of a toolset that blends with 3D visualisation of Animation and Film, as well as 3DVR assets as the big part of it. 

This is my opinion from my personal experience - not a reviewed judgment on a product or package. 

We just pushed a small Medium update to fix a few issues, primarily around importing and an update to the website. 

Medium App Bug fixes:

• Fixes to the #Xanadu error frequently encountered importing OBJs.

• Meshes with quads can be successfully imported.

• Meshes with missing normals can be successfully imported.

• Fix for a bug that caused particle effects from tools to persist in recordings.

• Collections of Stamps and Ref Images imported from a folder should now import without error.

• All supported image file types now also support all of their extensions e.g. JPEG/JPG, without error.

Oculus.com/Medium improvements:

• New looks for view asset page.

• cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 654
    Neo
    It's kind of strange how when you open one of your previous sculpts, it sometimes asks you in words to the effect "There are changes to your sculpt. Do you want to save the changes when you open it or revert to the previous version?" HUH? If I made changes to the sculpt the last time I opened it, then why didn't it ask me when I closed it if I wanted to save the changes? I don't remember what changes I made several days later. Also, after the update, if you open a sculpt that takes a long time to open, and you press the wrong button, it will take you out of the sculpt without asking.  Very annoying. 
    I Think it's asking if you want to save the default sphere scene as it opened with - if you open a existing sculpt it will prompt you to save the current sphere one. Not sure if that's what your experiencing.
    It's kind of strange how when you open one of your previous sculpts, it sometimes asks you in words to the effect "There are changes to your sculpt. Do you want to save the changes when you open it or revert to the previous version?" 
    It's asking if you want to save what's currently in the scene before loading whatever you selected so you don't accidentally lose any work. 
    Also, after the update, if you open a sculpt that takes a long time to open, and you press the wrong button, it will take you out of the sculpt without asking.  Very annoying. 
    I can't reproduce this, what button(s) are you pressing that's canceling the loading of a sculpt?
    I have Just Noticed that if you upload you model to the Medium Gallery - the OBJ that's available to download is placed at Zero in World space. 
    That .obj file essentially double the size of your sculpt. A lot of mine are under the half gig limit before it generates the .obj and then they're too big to share. If the .obj business could be handled serverside I'd be able to share a lot more stuff.
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    If the .obj business could be handled serverside I'd be able to share a lot more stuff.
    We're looking at ways to improve saving, sharing, what files we generate when, etc. Lots of those things like file sizes, server timeouts, etc. we were learning for the first time. We definitely need feedback like this to help prioritize where we go next, still so much blue water!
    edited June 20
    To be honest @MattHickman If you don't have manpower dedicated to just web dev, I'm happy enough if everyone is busy on medium bugs and features. Website would be last on a long list of priorities 
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 654
    Neo
     I noticed that the tool size trigger is way out of whack now.  It's so fast that a tiny adjustment of my finger makes the tool (e.g. clay) too small or too large.  I tried adjusting it all the way up out of curiosity, and it got so huge that it eventually encompassed me, becoming invisible. Worked much better before the update.  In fact, it's almost unusable now. 
     I noticed that the tool size trigger is way out of whack now.  It's so fast that a tiny adjustment of my finger makes the tool (e.g. clay) too small or too large.  I tried adjusting it all the way up out of curiosity, and it got so huge that it eventually encompassed me, becoming invisible. Worked much better before the update.  In fact, it's almost unusable now. 
    You can pinch the scene out and that changes the scale of the tool response.
    edited June 22
    @MattHickman I really think a medium desktop helper app would be amazing - for all the odds and ends required to push stuff in and out of vr. Zeroing out - decimation levels - texture choices. 

Also are there plans for in medium capture - like higher resolution images and video - would a desktop helper be something that could assist with tuning shots of artwork and exporting gif animations and filters. And maybe even export sbs video for other people to experience your vr zone and story. 
    Agreed, it would be awesome to be able to adjust screenshots outside of VR so what you see is what you get kinda.
    Not so fussed about screenie adjustment since I'm either using photoshop or blender to do that but exporting big sculpts and watching those little dickhead busy pointers bounce around for 10 mins at a time is soul destroying. I'd be surprised if the US military aren't already using medium export pipeline to torture confessions out of terror suspects.

I used to love those busy pointers, back at the start, when it was all new and exciting but the honeymoon period is over and now I hate them to death. Especially that smug little cog bastard. Dildo and 'M' I could just about live with but I totally want to kill Coggy!
    Would it be possible to allow for background saving like in photoshop?
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,421 Valuable Player
    edited June 22
    If we're talking about output all I want is a better render with Depth of Field (even just through a virtual camera like we have with photo/video frames so fps isn't a issue) and transparency but I can feel the devs shuddering just at the thought  :D
    FrozenPea said:
    If we're talking about output all I want is a better render with Depth of Field (even just through a virtual camera like we have with photo/video frames so fps isn't a issue) and transparency but I can feel the devs shuddering just at the thought  :D
    That's why I'm thinking capturing the screen mirror is maybe better - no overhead and lod plus with capturing video you can shoot and pan all you like - I tried it today , I have large lens cloth that I drape over the middle head strap that tells the sensor your head is on - then you can position the sculpt and shoot pan and move around like a vr camera rig - the hard part is reaching the snipping tool to capture the shot - I'm still to get to OBS and capture full turnarounds and legit framing. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,408 Power Poster
    FrozenPea said:
    I would love the ability to adjust the opacity of a layer. It doesn't seem to be an engine limitation, because when you open the main menu, sometimes it does display the model with transparency. It would be really useful when you're sculpting something that intersects with another layer. I know I can hide the other layer to see what I'm doing, but sometimes you need to see where details in the other layer are while you're sculpting.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Yeah, totally this. Staring at a transparent model during export waits is almost like the devs are rubbing my nose in it. Like "Yeah we can do transparency standing on our heads but you're not getting to use it"  :p

edited June 23
    This is a mock up of a desktop helper app. super basic design - non distracting / easy to use just super helpful and creative power. There could also be some power in the drag and drop of image references. Its basically running concurrently with medium - and the info displayed can show you upload status and so many other helpful stuff.