Hi, guys, I wanted to share my simple solution for importing paintings made in Quill and AnimVR into Maya so that the colors appear properly. It's been hard getting information on this so hopefully, this helps people who are having issues. This should work in Maya2015 onward.
1) First off, import the FBX/Alembic file into Maya.
2) Download this shader: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tjkq8x2r150yr7/vertexColor_shaderfx.ma?dl=0
3) Import the shader into your hypershade
4) Right click your mesh and assign the shader as a material.
5) Now turn on your textures in the viewport and you should be all set. If you find the colors are looking too pale turn off the color management button in the viewport.
If your Quill scene uses transparency then you can enable alpha in the hypershade settings for the material. If you get visual errors you need to turn on depth-peeling in the transparency settings in the viewport 2.0 options.