cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palmer Is Back! But Not In VR

Interesting.  Or not?

Virtual reality pioneer Palmer Luckey has founded a start-up concentrating on technology to police borders and large events, reports the New York Times.

He has told senior Trump administration staff about the company's technology.

Until March Mr Luckey worked at Facebook, which paid $2bn (£1.55bn) for Oculus, the VR firm he founded.

He told the New York Times there was a need for a "new kind" of defence company using "superior technology" to protect troops and citizens.

The paper quoted insiders who said it planned to use sensors similar to those found on autonomous vehicles to monitor activity around fences and walls.

Smart software would be able to tell the difference between things that can be ignored, such as birds and other animals, and those, like drones, that demand attention.

Details about the new firm, including its name, are scant.

Former staff from Oculus who have also left the company are believed to have been recruited for the new start-up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40158899

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
97 REPLIES 97

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

CrashFu said:

I mean when's the last time a normal person flashed you an "A-OK"?

Normal persons do use that, not that it's common, but neither do I remember last time someone flashed a thumbs up. I've used that "A-OK" sign before, without any supremacist implications. Does that mean you are wrong about Palmer? No, not at all, but to suggest that no normal person would ever use that sign is ludicrous.

CrashFu
Consultant

Mr.Creepy said:

CrashFu said:

Normal persons do use that, not that it's common, but neither do I remember last time someone flashed a thumbs up. I've used that "A-OK" sign before, without any supremacist implications. Does that mean you are wrong about Palmer? No, not at all, but to suggest that no normal person would ever use that sign is ludicrous.

I'm not saying 100% of people who have ever used the OK sign are nazis, I'm just saying it's archaic and rarely-used... until very recently, when its use became suspiciously prevalent (almost exclusively among people with certain political leanings) and only AFTER the controversy started. That looks to me like a correlation.

More importantly, if you weren't in the habit of using a particular hand sign to begin with, and then you heard it had gained an association with white-supremacists... wouldn't you consciously avoid using that hand-sign, so that people don't mistakenly think you're a nazi?  The last thing you would do is proudly change your public profile icon to incorporate a sign you know is controversial.

And we know for a fact that Palmer is up-to date on all the latest political memes.  He funds them, remember?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

CrashFu said:

cybernettr said:

Palmer Luckey has been smeared with slimy charges of "white supremacist" and "neo Nazi" without the slightest shred of evidence. 

t3i9fnplvg3u.jpg

Palmer's own user icon. That he set himself. On his verified twitter account. AFTER that hand sign became infamous for its use by neo-nazis to show their allegiance to the white-supremacist cause.  And while he was already under investigation for his support of that pro-Trump nazi group.

He would literally have to get a swastika tattooed on his forehead to make his political allegiance any more obvious at this point.   But please, continue to insist that there "isn't the slightest shred of evidence". 

.Hiro_Protag0nist said:

CrashFu said:

If you willingly choose to support or be friends with people who support fascism, homophobia, and racial intolerance, then you yourself are supporting those things.  There's no sugar-coating that.  There's no room for "respecting different political views uwu"   when the other guy's political view is "Everyone who is different from me needs to be treated as sub-human, killed, or driven out of their homes."

Do people like that exist CrashFu?

Yes, they're called Nazis. Aka white nationalists or "the alt-right" if you want to get all politically correct.  Their entire political platform literally revolves around the belief that straight white christian or atheist males are inherently superior to everyone else and a bunch of insane paranoia regarding non-white people / other religions / non-subservient women / gays  somehow being a threat to their way of life.

Is this post serious?

CrashFu said:

kojack said:

Now people are thinking the ok sign is a white supremacist signal?
I had to google for it, I've never heard of this. Apparently the Anti Defamation League has stated that no, it isn't a hate sign, it's a hoax from 4chan to trick people into thinking it is..

White nationalists adopted the OK sign  BECAUSE it looks innocent, because it allows them to signal their loyalty to each other and then deny everything if questioned.  Of course they're going to publicly deny that it's a thing, that's the whole point. 

Or maybe you think he's just "ironically" using the sign as some kind of ill-advised attempt at shock humor? ...  Actually, THAT wouldn't surprise me. :sweat:

Bloody hell CrashFu, what next mate?

Might be Palmer - difficult to tell...

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

CrashFu said:

More importantly, if you weren't in the habit of using a particular hand sign to begin with, and then you heard it had gained an association with white-supremacists... wouldn't you consciously avoid using that hand-sign, so that people don't mistakenly think you're a nazi?  The last thing you would do is proudly change your public profile icon to incorporate a sign you know is controversial.

And we know for a fact that Palmer is up-to date on all the latest political memes.  He funds them, remember?

No, I personally would not avoid it, but of course, dependent on the situation, I would avoid some signs. I would agree that the swastika symbol has some pretty strong negativity attached to it, and I would avoid that, despite that I don't think it should automatically lead your mind to nazis and Hitler. The "a-ok" sign is not at that level though, I've never even heard about white supremacist using it, but from this thread I am confused to whether it's factual that people use it to show alligence to the that cause, or whether you just consider it highly likely.

I would consider that he could choose that picture just to troll people, in light of everything. I think I remember the interview he used it in, it wasn't totally out of place in the context of what he was talking about while doing it. I'm not too interested in PL though, so honestly have no idea how likely or unlikely it is that he is a white supremacist.

The High Priestess was unimpressed with the Crafty Cockney's attempts.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

CrashFu said:

Mr.Creepy said:

CrashFu said:

I'm not saying 100% of people who have ever used the OK sign are nazis, I'm just saying it's archaic and rarely-used... until very recently, when its use became suspiciously prevalent (almost exclusively among people with certain political leanings) and only AFTER the controversy started. That looks to me like a correlation.

After all the shit that happend... do you think he gives a damn what people on the internet are thinking?

And to be honest. This hand sign shit is ridiculous.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ok-sign-not-hate-sign-statement-clarification-adl-a...

You know why people say it 'becomes' a 'whatever'-sign? Because Trump uses it all the time. But that does not mean he uses that gesture to praise a cult or something. It is just a gesture. Like this:

Every sign has it's own meaning in different countries. And now and then one stupid person on the planet is using it (like all the other stupid people around the earth) and ... wow! now it has to be evil. Now it is the sign of the devil. Because some stupid asshole said so.

Here: 'Bad' signs

In France this symbol means 'asshole'. Makes sense, if you look at it.

There is only one way to avoid all the world wide social media stupidity shit: Cut your hands off! RIGHT NOW!

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Man, so glad this sign has no negative meanings to it. Let's use this instead of all the other hand signs.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
Oh my god, it never ends, he is giving us all the middle finger, he just doesn't give a fuck. :lol:

nalex66
MVP
MVP

CrashFu said:

Mr.Creepy said:

CrashFu said:

After all the shit that happend... do you think he gives a damn what people on the internet are thinking?

And to be honest. This hand sign shit is ridiculous.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ok-sign-not-hate-sign-statement-clarification-adl-a...

You know why people say it 'becomes' a 'whatever'-sign? Because Trump uses it all the time. But that does not mean he uses that gesture to hail a cult or something. It is just a gesture. Like this:

Every sign has it's own meaning in different countries. And now and then one stupid person on the planet is using it (like all the other stupid people around the earth) and ... wow! now it has to be evil. Now it is the sign of the devil. Because some stupid asshole said so.

Here: 'Bad' signs

In France this symbol means 'asshole'. Makes sense, if you look at it.

There is only one way to avoid all the world wide social media stupidity shit: Cut your hands off! RIGHT NOW!

So you need a freakishly long thumb to make obscene gestures in Thailand?

Seriously, look at that thing! It looks like he's holding a plus-size dildo!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo