New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Palmer Is Back! But Not In VR

Comments

• cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 939
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    Lastly, Palmer's age is no excuse since he has plenty of people who have tried to advise him on how to act.
    Well, you act like a little twat and how old are you?  :D
    3Jane

Zenbane said:

Second, one of the biggest reasons that Oculus hasn't achieved as much success since Facebook bought them... is because of Palmer. It will take time to recover, but recovery will happen.

Lastly, Palmer's age is no excuse since he has plenty of people who have tried to advise him on how to act. All he has to do is take off the ladies underwear and use that massive cranium to do more listening and less speaking.

Aside from Palmer's ability to ride Carmack's coattails, I consider him dumber than the average college-educated 20 year old.

Difference between Palmer and Schmuckerberg: Palmer built everything he had from scratch while Schmuckerberg stole what he has.  :D
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    edited June 2017
    zboson said:
    Palmer is 24 now. He was barely old enough to legally drink when Zuck dished out 2 billion for his company. Palmer got a much better deal (at least so far). Oculus has not had anywhere near the success that all the hype around it made it seem it would.

I can think of people that received much less who I admire a lot more than Palmer e.g. Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee and Linus Torvalds.
    Yet you use Palmer's product and you're on this forum...  :p

Fascinating.
    I have not used an Oculus product in about 3 months. But I'm still a super fan of VR. That should be obvious to anyone that followed my comments last year. I like most of the people in this forum. I still have some loyalty to Oculus. I want to get back into VR later this year.

Palmer is a liar. I'm not convinced he's a racist or many of the bad things people have accused him of (and I don't care about his cosplay). But I don't trust him anymore so honestly I don't know what to believe. I wonder even if he had Oculus's best intentions in mind after it was sold to FB.

Palmer is gone from Oculus and FB but he still casts a shadow over it.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,134 Valuable Player
    cybernettr said:
    Difference between Palmer and Schmuckerberg: Palmer built everything he had from scratch while Schmuckerberg stole what he has.  :D
    More examples of you being an Internet hack who parrots misinformation. Palmer didn't build anything buy himself. Carmack and dev's working for HTC are largely responsible for what Oculus became. Zuckerberg built everything from the ground up.

cybernettr said:
    Well, you act like a little twat and how old are you?  :D
    hah, I treat you like a twat while Palmer dresses and acts like a twat.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:

More examples of you being an Internet hack who parrots misinformation. Palmer didn't build anything buy himself. Carmack and dev's working for HTC are largely responsible for what Oculus became. Zuckerberg built everything from the ground up.
    Funny, that not what TIME of April 7, 2014 said.

Carmack loved what Palmer was doing for a reason. 
    edited June 2017
    Funny, thats not what Palmer and Carmack said during the Zenimax trial. You are still parroting information without fact checking  :D

cybernettr said:

Carmack loved what Palmer was doing for a reason. 
    Yes, and that reason is clear: Zenimax ignored Carmack's request to work on VR, but Palmer listened.

Both Carmack and Zuckerberg used Palmer; and easily at that. Most likely because Palmer spends too much time running his mouth, he never has a moment to properly stop and assess a situation.
    3Jane
    We've come a long way from "Palmer is a white supremacist."  :D

That's because that argument totally failed.   :D
    Palmer aligned himself with white supremacy individuals and groups. Aligning with something is different than becoming something. The facts and evidence revealed his alignment some time ago. Which is one of the primary contributing factors to Palmer losing his company  B)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Now people are thinking the ok sign is a white supremacist signal?
    I had to google for it, I've never heard of this. Apparently the Anti Defamation League has stated that no, it isn't a hate sign, it's a hoax from 4chan to trick people into thinking it is..

White nationalists adopted the OK sign  BECAUSE it looks innocent, because it allows them to signal their loyalty to each other and then deny everything if questioned.  Of course they're going to publicly deny that it's a thing, that's the whole point. 

Did it start as a hoax?  Maybe. Doesn't matter, because it was soon adopted by real white nationalists. Better for them that people don't take it seriously, that just makes it the perfect secret loyalty sign. You think all these people just coincidentally got in the habit of using an archaic hand-gesture?  I mean when's the last time a normal person flashed you an "A-OK"?

Regardless, this was a subject of controversy by the time Palmer deliberately changed his profile pic to that. You think he just "coincidentally" wanted to tell his twitter followers that he's "doing OK" at the height of this controversy? You think a man who was born and raised on 4-chan and reddit wouldn't know that this was a thing?  I doubt that.

Or maybe you think he's just "ironically" using the sign as some kind of ill-advised attempt at shock humor? ...  Actually, THAT wouldn't surprise me. :sweat:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    CrashFu said:
    I mean when's the last time a normal person flashed you an "A-OK"?

Normal persons do use that, not that it's common, but neither do I remember last time someone flashed a thumbs up. I've used that "A-OK" sign before, without any supremacist implications. Does that mean you are wrong about Palmer? No, not at all, but to suggest that no normal person would ever use that sign is ludicrous.
    Mr.Creepy said:
    CrashFu said:

Normal persons do use that, not that it's common, but neither do I remember last time someone flashed a thumbs up. I've used that "A-OK" sign before, without any supremacist implications. Does that mean you are wrong about Palmer? No, not at all, but to suggest that no normal person would ever use that sign is ludicrous.
    I'm not saying 100% of people who have ever used the OK sign are nazis, I'm just saying it's archaic and rarely-used... until very recently, when its use became suspiciously prevalent (almost exclusively among people with certain political leanings) and only AFTER the controversy started. That looks to me like a correlation.

More importantly, if you weren't in the habit of using a particular hand sign to begin with, and then you heard it had gained an association with white-supremacists... wouldn't you consciously avoid using that hand-sign, so that people don't mistakenly think you're a nazi?  The last thing you would do is proudly change your public profile icon to incorporate a sign you know is controversial.

And we know for a fact that Palmer is up-to date on all the latest political memes.  He funds them, remember?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    CrashFu said:
    cybernettr said:

Palmer Luckey has been smeared with slimy charges of "white supremacist" and "neo Nazi" without the slightest shred of evidence. 

Palmer's own user icon. That he set himself. On his verified twitter account. AFTER that hand sign became infamous for its use by neo-nazis to show their allegiance to the white-supremacist cause.  And while he was already under investigation for his support of that pro-Trump nazi group.

He would literally have to get a swastika tattooed on his forehead to make his political allegiance any more obvious at this point.   But please, continue to insist that there "isn't the slightest shred of evidence". 

.Hiro_Protag0nist said:
    CrashFu said:
    If you willingly choose to support or be friends with people who support fascism, homophobia, and racial intolerance, then you yourself are supporting those things.  There's no sugar-coating that.  There's no room for "respecting different political views uwu"   when the other guy's political view is "Everyone who is different from me needs to be treated as sub-human, killed, or driven out of their homes."
    Do people like that exist CrashFu?
    Yes, they're called Nazis. Aka white nationalists or "the alt-right" if you want to get all politically correct.  Their entire political platform literally revolves around the belief that straight white christian or atheist males are inherently superior to everyone else and a bunch of insane paranoia regarding non-white people / other religions / non-subservient women / gays  somehow being a threat to their way of life.

Is this post serious?
    CrashFu said:
    kojack said:
    Now people are thinking the ok sign is a white supremacist signal?
    I had to google for it, I've never heard of this. Apparently the Anti Defamation League has stated that no, it isn't a hate sign, it's a hoax from 4chan to trick people into thinking it is..

White nationalists adopted the OK sign  BECAUSE it looks innocent, because it allows them to signal their loyalty to each other and then deny everything if questioned.  Of course they're going to publicly deny that it's a thing, that's the whole point. 

Or maybe you think he's just "ironically" using the sign as some kind of ill-advised attempt at shock humor? ...  Actually, THAT wouldn't surprise me. :sweat:

Bloody hell CrashFu, what next mate?

Might be Palmer - difficult to tell...

Neo
    CrashFu said:
    More importantly, if you weren't in the habit of using a particular hand sign to begin with, and then you heard it had gained an association with white-supremacists... wouldn't you consciously avoid using that hand-sign, so that people don't mistakenly think you're a nazi?  The last thing you would do is proudly change your public profile icon to incorporate a sign you know is controversial.

And we know for a fact that Palmer is up-to date on all the latest political memes.  He funds them, remember?
    No, I personally would not avoid it, but of course, dependent on the situation, I would avoid some signs. I would agree that the swastika symbol has some pretty strong negativity attached to it, and I would avoid that, despite that I don't think it should automatically lead your mind to nazis and Hitler. The "a-ok" sign is not at that level though, I've never even heard about white supremacist using it, but from this thread I am confused to whether it's factual that people use it to show alligence to the that cause, or whether you just consider it highly likely.

I would consider that he could choose that picture just to troll people, in light of everything. I think I remember the interview he used it in, it wasn't totally out of place in the context of what he was talking about while doing it. I'm not too interested in PL though, so honestly have no idea how likely or unlikely it is that he is a white supremacist.
    The High Priestess was unimpressed with the Crafty Cockney's attempts.

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    CrashFu said:
    Mr.Creepy said:
    CrashFu said:

I'm not saying 100% of people who have ever used the OK sign are nazis, I'm just saying it's archaic and rarely-used... until very recently, when its use became suspiciously prevalent (almost exclusively among people with certain political leanings) and only AFTER the controversy started. That looks to me like a correlation.

After all the shit that happend... do you think he gives a damn what people on the internet are thinking?

And to be honest. This hand sign shit is ridiculous.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ok-sign-not-hate-sign-statement-clarification-adl-a7716556.html

You know why people say it 'becomes' a 'whatever'-sign? Because Trump uses it all the time. But that does not mean he uses that gesture to praise a cult or something. It is just a gesture. Like this:

Every sign has it's own meaning in different countries. And now and then one stupid person on the planet is using it (like all the other stupid people around the earth) and ... wow! now it has to be evil. Now it is the sign of the devil. Because some stupid asshole said so.

Here: 'Bad' signs

In France this symbol means 'asshole'. Makes sense, if you look at it.

There is only one way to avoid all the world wide social media stupidity shit: Cut your hands off! RIGHT NOW!

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    edited June 2017

Man, so glad this sign has no negative meanings to it. Let's use this instead of all the other hand signs.
    Neo
    Oh my god, it never ends, he is giving us all the middle finger, he just doesn't give a fuck. :lol:
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,411 Volunteer Moderator
    CrashFu said:
    Mr.Creepy said:
    CrashFu said:

After all the shit that happend... do you think he gives a damn what people on the internet are thinking?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ok-sign-not-hate-sign-statement-clarification-adl-a7716556.html

You know why people say it 'becomes' a 'whatever'-sign? Because Trump uses it all the time. But that does not mean he uses that gesture to hail a cult or something. It is just a gesture. Like this:

Every sign has it's own meaning in different countries. And now and then one stupid person on the planet is using it (like all the other stupid people around the earth) and ... wow! now it has to be evil. Now it is the sign of the devil. Because some stupid asshole said so.

There is only one way to avoid all the world wide social media stupidity shit: Cut your hands off! RIGHT NOW!
    So you need a freakishly long thumb to make obscene gestures in Thailand?

Seriously, look at that thing! It looks like he's holding a plus-size dildo!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    There is a sign thought that everyone around the world understands:

END
    nalex66 said:
    CrashFu said:
    Mr.Creepy said:
    CrashFu said:

You know why people say it 'becomes' a 'whatever'-sign? Because Trump uses it all the time. But that does not mean he uses that gesture to hail a cult or something. It is just a gesture. Like this:

So you need a freakishly long thumb to make obscene gestures in Thailand?

Seriously, look at that thing! It looks like he's holding a plus-size dildo!
    Good spot.

:D 
    @RorschachPhoenix  -  The real question is:  How many of those gestures can be performed using Touch?

I need to flip people off somehow if they hog all the good loot in co-op games.

Or if I ever run into Palmer in VR space.
    In conclusion, Palmer is a nub.
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    Palmer aligned himself with white supremacy individuals and groups.
    Translation: Palmer aligned himself with conservative individuals and groups. 
    Zenbane said:
    Palmer aligned himself with white supremacy individuals and groups.
    Translation: Palmer aligned himself with conservative individuals and groups. 
    Wrong.

At least one of the founders of Nimble America had direct ties to working with white supremacy groups. This has been discussed and proven many times over. You just like to restart the conversation using the whole "new thread equates to amnesia" approach :D
    3Jane
    CrashFu said:
    @RorschachPhoenix  -  The real question is:  How many of those gestures can be performed using Touch?

I need to flip people off somehow if they hog all the good loot in co-op games.

Or if I ever run into Palmer in VR space.
    I just tested it and the A-OK sign can kinda sorta be done (touching your finger and thumb together) with Touch. Maybe Oculus should ban it so white nationalists can't use it in Facebook Spaces or wherever.  :D
    cybernettr said:
    I just tested it and the A-OK sign can kinda sorta be done (touching your finger and thumb together) with Touch. Maybe Oculus should ban it so white nationalists can't use it in Facebook Spaces or wherever.  :D
    I'm sure Oculus has no problem letting the A-OK remain, just to make you feel better about that time you used hate-speech against Oculus for allowing a picture of Obama on a VR App :D
    3Jane
    That wasn't hate speech and I'll retract it when Oculus/Facebook features an app with a smiling picture of President Trump on it    :p
    edited June 2017
    That wasn't hate speech and I'll retract it when Oculus/Facebook features an app with a smiling picture of President Trump on it    :p
    You specifically called Oculus "deplorable" which is defined as: deserving strong condemnation.

I suppose we'll have to define "condemnation" after you next excuse ;)

And just to keep up with facts, it wasn't Oculus that made the App, it was an independent development studio. I'm sure Oculus will happily feature a Trump App if there's a dev studio out there willing to make it.

• zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    edited June 2017

I wish I had known what the OK symbol was bad in France because I had a French girlfriend that got quite pissed at me when I used it.

I also tried teaching a girlfriend to count in binary with your hand. Thumbs up is 1, index finger only is 2, thumbs up and index finger is 3, middle finger only is 4.  When I got to 4 she got pissed off and left. It's not always easy being a nerd.