New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap: dont get it Wet

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,717 Valuable Player
edited June 2017 in General
Funny read about HTC's new "Deluxe" strap:

http://www.revvrstudios.com/never-get-wet
I left my VR Dungeon and rejoined my family, I noticed some black ‘stuff’ on my shoulders and in my very sweaty hair. I just assumed that I had brushed up against something in my garage on the way back to the living room.

I was wrong.

This morning, I had to grab a few items from my VR Dungeon and I noticed abrasions on the padding of my Vive deluxe strap. Uh oh. Another quick trip to Twitter confirmed that I wasn’t the only one who noticed this.

The fact that NOBODY noticed this, is probably a bad thing. I feel like if I ripped this padding off (it IS completely replaceable) and tossed it into a glass of water, it would dissolve surprisingly quick. Not the best material to stick on a part of the body that loves to sweat.

Pretty funny that the makers of the Gadget of the Year, whose gadget revolves around standing room-scale experiences which does lead to sweat far more than sit-down experiences, didn't test their "deluxe" strap's ability to... get wet :D

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Just a minor oversight, who would have imagined? :lol:
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,738 Valuable Player
    Lol, that is pretty bad...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,708 Valuable Player
    Yup, I stealthily mentioned this in a post the other day in the VR sales thread but none of you noticed lol

There have also been plenty of Vives on the Vive Reddit and on YouTube that have been killed by sweat too since the Vive launched. It's a separate problem but must be down to the shape of the Vive I guess, the design of the Vive must direct rivulets of sweat towards the electronics somehow.  :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,717 Valuable Player
    Pure nonsense. Both Oculus and HTC have made VR way too inexpensive. Apple is here to save the day by doubling the cost of entry. Steve Jobs gets vengeance from the grave!
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    lmao, do you think they'll be able to stop sales and get these things recalled before it turns into a really big problem?   It's not like the hapless customers who bought these can just work around the defect;  I've seen a few Vive Let's Plays and I don't think any human being can wear one for longer than twenty minutes without sweat pouring out of their head..

Maybe now HTC will learn that they can't just rush products onto the market carelessly to compete with Oculus' advantages. (not that they know how to do it any other way :wink:  ) 
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,009 Valuable Player
    i see this in the vr news show epx911
    surely the 3rd party ones are better to use anyway?

seems a major oversight, sweat mixing with it, cheap product production strike again!!
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Neo
    CrashFu said:
    lmao, do you think they'll be able to stop sales and get these things recalled before it turns into a really big problem?   It's not like the hapless customers who bought these can just work around the defect;  I've seen a few Vive Let's Plays and I don't think any human being can wear one for longer than twenty minutes without sweat pouring out of their head..

Maybe now HTC will learn that they can't just rush products onto the market carelessly to compete with Oculus' advantages. (not that they know how to do it any other way :wink:  ) 
    Well, Oculus hasn't had a perfect trackrecord either, but this is an oversight that is quite bad. Also why compete with Rifts advantages, when Vive has sold more by any estimate we have to go by?
    Mr.Creepy said:
    Also why compete with Rifts advantages, when Vive has sold more by any estimate we have to go by?
    Two answers:
    1) Competition is good for business.
    2) If we count the Samsung/Oculus partnership, then Oculus outsold da fuq outta the Vive :p
    Neo
    edited June 2017
    Zenbane said:
    Mr.Creepy said:
    Also why compete with Rifts advantages, when Vive has sold more by any estimate we have to go by?
    Two answers:
    1) Competition is good for business.
    2) If we count the Samsung/Oculus partnership, then Oculus outsold da fuq outta the Vive :p
    I agree, and I was just hoping to edit that before someone answered.

What I was getting at is that is that Vive is popular despite it's drawback compared to the Rift. Of course, they should compete and try to be better. Rift is much cheaper now, so it'll be interesting to see how it looks going forward, on the PC side. Both have advantages but is overall similar in a lot of ways, with the Rift just having the smartest design (Comfort, comes with Integrated audio, sweatproof headstrap) and Vive the most precise and scalable tracking. Then there is subjective advantages as FOV and brightness over clarity and larger sweetspot, which is down to preference. I just like to be objective. :smile:
    The Vive has done very well, no doubt. Most of the comments are either satire or a bit of tongue-in-cheek payback for all that poopoo Rifters had to dodge last year (specifically all the smack talk before Touch was released). It's all in good fun.
    If HTC or anyone else rushes a product out next generation I won't be going anywhere near it. HTC have made several cock ups by rushing the release of the Vive this generation, and at the moment I don't trust them not to do the same thing again.

Oculus are so far ahead of everyone in terms of R&D that it's highly likely that I'll be getting a CV2 in a couple of years time I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

I'm sticking with Facebook/Oculus through 2nd Gen devices.

The only other headset(s) I plan to purchase are Mobile-VR, for the purposes of business applications.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    I initially went with oculus for several reasons. One of the main ones is that facebook own them. They have the money and rnd to make every product to a high standard and wont fizzle out.

Apple and HTC can go fuck themselves with their inferior overpriced bullshit. 
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    I thought you already had a custom headstrap Atmos.  Did I imagine that?
    All of these products are pretty cutting edge.  Vive has always had more of a home-brew feel so it's unsurprising when they have a hiccup with something like this.  It this was a Rift attachment there would be shipping delays, but you can be damn sure it would work when it arrived. 

The full working verison for both headsets would probably arrive at around the same time, despite the different business plans.  Look at the launch of the HMDs! :)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
    You might want to look at some kind if water resistant spray just in case atmos
    you have to wonder how much testing or troubleshoot some things have
    If at all
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,287 Valuable Player
    The triggers on the Touch controllers is one of those subjects where it just blew my mind how shoddy the design  and/or QA testing was.

The ones I have now are only a couple of months old, and the rubber dampeners went awol after 2 days of use, and now one of the triggers wobbles from side to side while squeaking.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    I can't understand all of this fuss about the Touch triggers tbh. You're in VR with a couple of in-built headphones attached to your ears. Surely the sound is cut out by the game's audio..? I know that I can't hear much when I've got my headphones on, but then my ears are pretty buggered due to working in a rock pub for 10 years or so and being in a couple of bands so maybe that has something to do with me not hearing anything untoward..?

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,738 Valuable Player
    I have been using my Touch controllers quite often since getting them in early Feb, can't say I have seen this issue with them so far - knocking on wood of course lol.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    snowdog said:
    I can't understand all of this fuss about the Touch triggers tbh. You're in VR with a couple of in-built headphones attached to your ears. Surely the sound is cut out by the game's audio..? I know that I can't hear much when I've got my headphones on, but then my ears are pretty buggered due to working in a rock pub for 10 years or so and being in a couple of bands so maybe that has something to do with me not hearing anything untoward..?
    Regardless of how little you care about that, I reckon they put the friggin' dampeners there for a reason, and to have them dislodge in NO TIME is EITHER pathetic design, or absent QA testing, which was the subject I was commenting on.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    The trigger issues are a bit surprising seeing as how Carbon Design was hired on to make the controllers.  This is a company that designed the XBoxOne controller which is a great and rugged design.  I still love my PS4 controllers better, but that's because I have long skinny fingers.  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
    Zoomie said:
    The trigger issues are a bit surprising seeing as how Carbon Design was hired on to make the controllers.  This is a company that designed the XBoxOne controller which is a great and rugged design.  I still love my PS4 controllers better, but that's because I have long skinny fingers.  
    Actually the right trigger on my Rift bundled Xbone controller had the same mishab - albeit after a year or so. Got it RMA'ed though, so I'm still a happy camper.
  • Tattoo_DudeTattoo_Dude Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    Boy am I glad I went with my Rift. I shopped between the Vive and Rift for a while and just couldn't see enough in the Vive to justify the extra cost, especially when looking at the extras I would have to purchase, including this $100 dissolvable head strap! No thank you! Oh no, I may have to pay $60 for a third sensor to make the room scale track 100% perfectly all the time! Tell me it is not so....... :p
    Atmos73 said:
    Can you guess what it is?
    Is it a card to Zenbane??
    Atmos73 said:
    I like your jokes VG. :p
    Is it knuckles though??

Ahh the luxury headset?

Silly q do you have to detach the other completely and wiring??
    ohh that was some diy, are you good for shelves also? :p

in person it is actually a nice looking strap, i can imagine much more comfy now?
    I have always liked how htc is also wired, its neat and out of the way
    Atmos73 said:
    Can you guess what it is?
    You spending money to get a Rift-like experience..?

You should have just bought a Rift instead tbh because you'll need to spend even MORE money when the Knuckles controllers are released. Even if the Knuckles controllers are only $99 (and I personally think they'll be twice that) you'll end up spending $1000 to get a Rift-like experience for your Vive but without the benefits of a sharper and clearer display, less SDE, better performance in games and experiences thanks to ASW and having a headset that looks like a final consumer ready product rather than a dev kit lol

You should have just sold your Vive and got a Rift and Touch controllers for $600 :p