Is Xbox One X and Oculus Rift Friends ?

Sterling77
Rising Star
Just wondering if this is a thing ? 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook
14 REPLIES 14

falken76
Expert Consultant
I don't think they'll consider it.  It seems the focus on this machine is the GPU for 4k gaming.  They say the processing power is similar to an Intel I3 and the GPU is custom, like a 1060 or 1070 with 12 gigs ram (video card memory) that is shared with the system giving devs 9 GB to work with on the GPU.  With a user base that is accustomed to those specs, the second they put the Rift, Vive or whatever set on their heads, they'd instantly complain about the resolution.  Then they'd go to youtube and add all those stupid comments that reference poor video quality to potatoes (Who the F started that nonesense?)  I would assume they'd probably go with A/R but this is not a mobile system, it's tetherd to your television in the living room or bedroom.  Not much to work with and seems like it would be a huge bottleneck to A/R.  Imagine the problem we have with V/R.  Lack of space, but now you have that AND that space is now visable in your visor and you have to work with it!  I don't think they'll do either personally.

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer

falken76 said:

makes sense, perhaps the machine is not viable to VR and xbox basically need a home run. So VR is just a bit risky for the reasons u suggest 😉

Madaras
Expert Protege
Well, Xbox did advertise the Oculus Rift a while back. So I'd assume that things are still full speed ahead. Though VR not being mentioned is a huge downer. One of my friends whom I introduced to VR was super psyched about the Xbox Scorpio (still a much better name) because we believed that was going to be the focus of Scorpio. Superior Hardware to the PS4 and Xbox's previous mention of the Oculus Rift coming to Xbox. Now, if VR isn't the focus then why bother with the Xbox one X? As one person that reviewed it said "Would just having better graphics for games be worth it?" the answer is no. It wouldn't make the price worth it, what would make the price worth it would be expanding into the world of VR for console gamers.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Madaras said:

Well, Xbox did advertise the Oculus Rift a while back. So I'd assume that things are still full speed ahead.
Now, if VR isn't the focus then why bother with the Xbox one X? As one person that reviewed it said "Would just having better graphics for games be worth it?" 

I think we must realize that the MS XBoneX reveal at E3 made a point of distancing itself from VR for the time being, with that launch and subsequent statements. 

Admitting that the XBoneX (as with the PS4Pro) are manifestations of a move by the console sector to a new business model. These could be the last of what we would recognize as consoles, and that a modular PC base (or even with a "online download set-top box") approach for the future.

Establishing this bridgehead with the core (mainstream) audience takes priorities against aspirations of VR – for the time being. That said VR could be a great fall-back position if they can’t get any leverage with the audience, or VR gathers pace with the consumers.

I think like much of the early OVR business strategy, the situation has changed with FB taking full control, and that MS and OVR are not on the same page regarding current VR strategy. That live streaming of XBone games in a Rift may be the only big move by these two (oh and the licensing of gamepads!) Their Win10 VR/MR (Daydream?) approach seems the key focus for now and Samsung rather than OSVR hold the main advantages.

The fact that all those that were forecasting Rift support for Project Scorpio have all gone radio silent should be a pointer in what is happening! (just my two sense).

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

AtariVR
Protege

What do you guys think about the announcement of "Super Luckys Tale"  in that context ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zi_nI0SIic

Does this mean...
A) XBox One X will get Oculus support
B) XBox One X will support the game on its mixed reality headsets
C) XBox One X will not get VR support, the game will only run on Monitor/TV

I choose option B!
I think Atari just announced a new Atari Console coming.  That wireless vr was being shown by Bushnell.  That maybe chuck e cheese type integration of all this will be in the near future and super luckey's tale may have an Atari VR port.  Here is what alan yates recently said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6j5k4h/amazing_knuckles_fivefingered_interaction_demo/djc42...

vk2zay [vw] 19 points20 points21 points 1 day ago* (25 children)
I suspect this time around the vendors are much less likely to sign exclusives with Oculus/Facebook. The Vive out-sold the Rift and they are well aware Valve R&D was responsible for the Vive (and much of the Rift too). Cutting yourself out from over half the market is just dumb, they won't make that mistake again.

[–]bangoskank1999 [vw] 5 points6 points7 points 1 day ago (4 children)
I forgot about the exclusivity deals that Facebook made with the actual retailers. You really had a strong headwind going against you, access-wise.

[–]vk2zay [vw] 3 points4 points5 points 1 day ago (2 children)

I am pretty neutral on exclusivity deals personally. They are a valid choice in some markets, but they do tend to be anti-consumer by design or accident. Indeed they are often bad even for the party signing them in the longer term, but that isn't always obvious or even the case because of factors outside your control.

IMO nothing should ever be completely off the table, but the best policy is to always keep your options open as long as possible and select wisely for the best overall outcome, all factors considered with the best information available to you at the time. You will choose poorly now and then, that is fundamentally unavoidable in limited visibility dynamical systems. Just have good contingencies and exit strategies so you never end up in really bad situation.