New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is Oculus Rift dead?

Mike1304Mike1304 Posts: 20
Brain Burst
Every new big AAA-announcement (Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, Fallout VR, Star Wars Battlefront 2 VR...) will be released for HTC Vive and/or Sony PlayStation VR but NOT for Oculus Rift! 
Even tons of new Indie- and early access games are released daily on Steam as "HTC vive only" whereas there are almost no Rift-exclusives... 
Did I buy the wrong VR-device??? Is the Rift dead?

Comments

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Yes. It is dead. So we are.

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,503 Valuable Player
    Every single Vive game on Steam so far can be played on the Rift. And even if Bethesda hardware lock Fallout 4 and Doom VR to the Vive it's only a matter of time before someone hacks it to make it possible.

So no, the Rift isn't anywhere near being dead.

This E3 has been pretty poor for VR tbh, Fallout 4 looks like Bethesda have made VERY little effort in bringing it into VR, Doom doesn't look like it has free locomotion going by the trailer and Skyrim VR is currently PSVR exclusive, although I reckon it's going to be a timed exclusive personally.

Given the lack of new AAA VR games from this E3 (Skyrim for the PSVR is the only one we've seen) I can see Oculus putting in another $250m to fund developers and get some more AAA quality games to the Oculus Store next year.

Big publishers just aren't prepared to invest in AAA VR development yet, Bethesda is the only one so far.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 510
    Neo
    Mike1304 said:
    Every new big AAA-announcement (Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, Fallout VR, Star Wars Battlefront 2 VR...) will be released for HTC Vive and/or Sony PlayStation VR but NOT for Oculus Rift! 
    Even tons of new Indie- and early access games are released daily on Steam as "HTC vive only" whereas there are almost no Rift-exclusives... 
    It's far from dead go check out the new sleeper hit 'Dead Effect 2 VR' (currently on Steam)
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Mike1304 said:
    Do you have any idea how many apps are in Oculus Home?

My Rift is alive and well, thank you for your concern.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,532 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    Hmmm, depends on your definition of dead.

Hmm um dead is well - dead.
    Not much ambiguity there. Oculus Rift is certainly far from dead.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    The simple answer to your question is, no the Rift is not dead. That's a bit drastic to conclude because of a few big games that are related to Zenimax, and I don't know of any half decent game on Steam that doesn't plan to have Rift support.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:

Well Oculus have an unsustainable business model as in it spends more than it makes. Do you think they make profit on the HMD when they slashed the price the way they have? Do you think they make a profit on the Touch at $99.99 once retail takes its 30%? Do you think FB make back each $250,000,000 investment FB indulge on games to boost OH sales?

The bare truth is if FB wasn't paying 'life support' Oculus would very well be dead.

So would the Xbox when it came out.  They are obviously going the route of Consumption device Like Amazon does with their fire products.  Vive would also fail without the financial support of Valve....  None of them are sustainable at the moment, fortunately these players are in the game for the long haul...
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,532 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:

Well Oculus have an unsustainable business model as in it spends more than it makes. 
    That would remain to be seen. I suspect their current business model is to grow VR along with their market share as well. I suspect FB/Oculus have the resources to invest in that future, and obviously are doing so . We may be a few years away from realizing how that pays off for them. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:

Well Oculus have an unsustainable business model as in it spends more than it makes. Do you think they make profit on the HMD when they slashed the price the way they have? Do you think they make a profit on the Touch at $99.99 once retail takes its 30%? Do you think FB make back each $250,000,000 investment FB indulge on games to boost OH sales?

The bare truth is if FB wasn't paying 'life support' Oculus would very well be dead.
    Said the none rift owner who has bought items from oculus home 
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:

Oculus have probably been breaking even on each Rift and Touch unit sold since the price cuts thanks to Hans Hartmann earning his money. If someone like Hartmann was the COO right from the beginning Oculus wouldn't have had component shortage issues and would have sold a great deal more because the price would have been cheaper at launch.

It really isn't difficult to believe that Oculus are breaking even with every Rift and Touch unit sold because the technology that Oculus uses for it's tracking is SO much cheaper to produce compared to the Vive. The Rift has glorified web cams and IR LEDs on the Rift and Touch controllers and apart from the capacitive buttons they're pretty much XBox One controllers split in half with accelerometers  added in. The Vive, on the other hand, has Lighthouse base stations with plenty of moving parts and lasers, and their headset and controllers have light sensors instead of cheap LEDs.

HTC haven't cut the price because they need to make a profit on each Vive sold to keep the company afloat. We'll probably see a price cut for the Vive before the end of the year and another price cut from Oculus either before the end of the year or early next year.

Hartmann is and always has been a superstar as far as supply lines and logistics goes, Fitbit would have been SERIOUSLY pissed off when Oculus headhunted him.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited June 2017
    Remember, the real price was meant to be in the ballpark of $350, meaning it only ever cost $250 to make, so they're making buckets of money out of us, so there!

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    It's a lot like the console wars we've seen over the years. Atari vs Colecovision vs Intelliivision, Each generation is like a round in the battle. Usually the better financed company wins.

As it is, Oculus has some design advantages over the Vive. It's lighter, less screen door, better touch controllers. But those advantages will disappear the next round and overall. Vive has Steam and better support. 

So a wireless Vive 2 might be the winner of the next generation. I don't think the VR market is big enough for two companies. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Oculus still has a lineup of REALLY impressive, interesting-looking VR titles coming out in the near future, most of which are brand new, original IPs, and which have been in development for YEARS, many of them with AAA budgets.

Steam VR  just has some overhyped stand-alone mods for years-old games most of us have already played to boredom, and a constant landslide of half-assed college projects from wannabe game devs who have about as much sense of creativity as they have experience.  They're screaming for attention but still not willing or able to put the money to earn that attention.

(And Viveport is still sadly considered irrelevant by everyone.  I feel genuinely bad for them.)

So to answer your question, no, Oculus is not dead.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Same could be said for consoles of today mate, they is always room for competition, healthy or unhealthy ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Guys... don't feed the troll.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    Guys... don't feed the troll.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:

Speculate to accumulate and all that.  My understanding is, the light house system is expensive to make, one reason the (incompatible to  existing models) model 2 tracking system is coming out for the vive.

I agree Facebook are currently subsidising a lot of VR titles...... Are you so sure the vive is currently as profitable as you intimate however? havent you said in the past valve are ALSO subsidising software development for vive titles - again nothing wrong with that,
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 514
    Neo
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 372
    Trinity
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU [email protected] hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Nom nom
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Why you made 2 threats?  :s MODS?
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    Some E3 VR Titles

Moss PSVR
    Monster of the Deep PSVR
    Star Child PSVR
    No heroes Allowed PSVR
    Bravo Team PSVR
    The Inpatient PSVR
    Transference (announced for PSVR, Vive, Oculus).
    DOOM VR PSVR
    Fallout 4 VR PSVR/Vive
    Skyrim VR PSVR

So, I can see why the OP would ask such a question. Where is the Oculus support but one has to remember the great games already released on the system such as Robo Recall, Dead and Buried, Wilson's Heart etc. New release Dead Effect 2 and the others we have known about for some time now like:

ARKTIKA.1 
    From Other Suns
    The Mage’s Tale
    Blade and Soul
    Killing Floor Incursion
    Brass Tactics

I think the issue here is a reluctance of developers to chime in with VR versions of big named franchises such as RESIDENT EVIL 7 which is coming at the end of this year to the Rift. Why aren't more developers (like Capcom) making games to suit 2D and VR audiences so any extra costs are offset from the people buying the game for 2D. I know Namco seem well invested with Tekken 7 having a VR mode, albeit a little lacking but still it's something. They also are quite invested in their Summer Lesson VR game and upcoming Ace Combat.  Then there's Gran Tourismo having VR support. All big names.

VR is moving in the right direction albeit with baby steps but it's a catch 22 scenario where developers are frankly not taking the risk due to potential low returns. Or simply not willing to devote resources into making a VR version work of their 2D game due to whatever development complications this brings. It's not as easy as simply pushing a VR ON/OFF button in most cases even if Engines like Unity and Unreal offer that option. 

I think it's more about massive investment really and that's what is lacking and why we see lower budget VR games or added on modes rather than fully fledged VR titles built from the ground up. It costs so much just to make a AAA 2D game and I guess on paper the resources required to develop a VR mode is just too great at the moment compared to the extra sales it might generate.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,163 Valuable Player
    Whatever happened to RockBandVR?

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    I'm a bit concerned that the VR versions of Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Doom aren't going to be good enough. Bethesda seem to have put fuck all effort into their VR conversions so far - no hands in Fallout 4, button loading in Fallout 4, no holding a weapon with 2 hands in Fallout 4, no free locomotion in Doom and with the shite tracking that Skyrim has motion controls are going to be off the table.

I'm starting to think that playing these games with VorpX is going to be a much better idea.

I don't mind paying full price for these games again - but only if the VR implementation is GOOD. And unfortunately from what we've seen so far it's quite the opposite.

edited June 2017
    kevinw729 said:
    Whatever happened to RockBandVR?

It's available for purchase now:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/744866972281509/

4.something stars in the reviews.
    I'm worried because badly implemented games are BAD for VR. It's no skin off my nose because I know I can play each of those games with a Gamepad using VorpX but those issues I've listed could put people off buying them. The more people that buy the AAA games the better. If they don't sell, we won't see many more.

And having those games full price rather than doing what The Astronauts did with The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter is also a bad idea. The Astronauts had the VR conversion available through paid DLC at less than the price of a full game if you already owned it.

The tide hasn't turned at all, we're seeing 3 games that are years old (Fallout 4 2 years old, Doom 4 18 months old and Skyrim 6 years old by the time they're released) getting converted into VR and by the looks of it Bethesda have put fuck all effort into it and are charging full price for the things. And only two of those are available for the Vive for a limited period of time.

The Rift, on the other hand, is continuing to get AAA quality games (albeit not open world games) every month for the rest of the year.

If anything this year's piss poor E3 for VR has shown Oculus that they need to fund developers with another $250,000 next year because third party publishers aren't stepping up yet, but I did predict that a while back.