cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Oculus Rift dead?

Mike1304
Explorer
Every new big AAA-announcement (Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, Fallout VR, Star Wars Battlefront 2 VR...) will be released for HTC Vive and/or Sony PlayStation VR but NOT for Oculus Rift! 
Even tons of new Indie- and early access games are released daily on Steam as "HTC vive only" whereas there are almost no Rift-exclusives... 
Did I buy the wrong VR-device??? Is the Rift dead?
115 REPLIES 115

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

dburne said:

Hmm um dead is well - dead.
Not much ambiguity there. Oculus Rift is certainly far from dead.

Well Oculus have an unsustainable business model as in it spends more than it makes. 

That would remain to be seen. I suspect their current business model is to grow VR along with their market share as well. I suspect FB/Oculus have the resources to invest in that future, and obviously are doing so . We may be a few years away from realizing how that pays off for them. 

elboffor
Consultant

Atmos73 said:

dburne said:

Well Oculus have an unsustainable business model as in it spends more than it makes. Do you think they make profit on the HMD when they slashed the price the way they have? Do you think they make a profit on the Touch at $99.99 once retail takes its 30%? Do you think FB make back each $250,000,000 investment FB indulge on games to boost OH sales?

The bare truth is if FB wasn't paying 'life support' Oculus would very well be dead.

Said the none rift owner who has bought items from oculus home 
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
e82182rm0az5.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

dburne said:

Well Oculus have an unsustainable business model as in it spends more than it makes. Do you think they make profit on the HMD when they slashed the price the way they have? Do you think they make a profit on the Touch at $99.99 once retail takes its 30%? Do you think FB make back each $250,000,000 investment FB indulge on games to boost OH sales?

The bare truth is if FB wasn't paying 'life support' Oculus would very well be dead.

Oculus have probably been breaking even on each Rift and Touch unit sold since the price cuts thanks to Hans Hartmann earning his money. If someone like Hartmann was the COO right from the beginning Oculus wouldn't have had component shortage issues and would have sold a great deal more because the price would have been cheaper at launch.

It really isn't difficult to believe that Oculus are breaking even with every Rift and Touch unit sold because the technology that Oculus uses for it's tracking is SO much cheaper to produce compared to the Vive. The Rift has glorified web cams and IR LEDs on the Rift and Touch controllers and apart from the capacitive buttons they're pretty much XBox One controllers split in half with accelerometers  added in. The Vive, on the other hand, has Lighthouse base stations with plenty of moving parts and lasers, and their headset and controllers have light sensors instead of cheap LEDs.

HTC haven't cut the price because they need to make a profit on each Vive sold to keep the company afloat. We'll probably see a price cut for the Vive before the end of the year and another price cut from Oculus either before the end of the year or early next year.

Hartmann is and always has been a superstar as far as supply lines and logistics goes, Fitbit would have been SERIOUSLY pissed off when Oculus headhunted him.

Remember, the real price was meant to be in the ballpark of $350, meaning it only ever cost $250 to make, so they're making buckets of money out of us, so there!

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

MowTin
Expert Trustee
It's a lot like the console wars we've seen over the years. Atari vs Colecovision vs Intelliivision, Each generation is like a round in the battle. Usually the better financed company wins.

As it is, Oculus has some design advantages over the Vive. It's lighter, less screen door, better touch controllers. But those advantages will disappear the next round and overall. Vive has Steam and better support. 

So a wireless Vive 2 might be the winner of the next generation. I don't think the VR market is big enough for two companies. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

CrashFu
Consultant
Oculus still has a lineup of REALLY impressive, interesting-looking VR titles coming out in the near future, most of which are brand new, original IPs, and which have been in development for YEARS, many of them with AAA budgets.

Steam VR  just has some overhyped stand-alone mods for years-old games most of us have already played to boredom, and a constant landslide of half-assed college projects from wannabe game devs who have about as much sense of creativity as they have experience.  They're screaming for attention but still not willing or able to put the money to earn that attention.

(And Viveport is still sadly considered irrelevant by everyone.  I feel genuinely bad for them.)

So to answer your question, no, Oculus is not dead.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Same could be said for consoles of today mate, they is always room for competition, healthy or unhealthy 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
Guys... don't feed the troll.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

elboffor
Consultant

Guys... don't feed the troll.

5pzcyvo43b72.png
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.