Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MageWorks

sporx
Adventurer

d33ltnp7hwzr.png

https://youtu.be/YVRHnAW371g

Summary: MageWorks was developed as a prototype for VR + Motion controllers in June of 2016. The game puts the player in the position of a mage with a spellbook in one hand and a staff in the other. Players flip through their spellbooks and use their staff to cast the spell. Players can also customize both their spellbooks and their staffs. After customizing their staff using resources found in the environment, players can 3d-print their designs. MageWorks is currently in development and is available in the Oculus Store Early Access section.

Movement: The game originally used teleporting for movement, however the community quickly requested analogue for more advanced users, so a HoverDrone was added, allowing players to step on their drone to hover around places with analogue controls in addition to teleporting if they choose. 

Gameplay: The game is designed to encourage players to unlock spells found in different environments. The spells are guarded by different configurations of castle or fortress style defenses. These attack/defense points are filled with a.i. that are ranged & melee and can be defeated with the player's spells consisting of five different class types:

• Long range low impact
  • mid-range location based spells
  • short range high impact
  • summoning
  • defensive walls

Some spells require that a player reach toward the air to cast (Reach-Spells), and some require that the player place their staff close to the ground (Ground-Spells).  Spells can also be bookmarked.  Bookmarking a spell places that spell into a custom spellbook with 10 pages.  When players unlock enough spells, they will be powerful enough to fight the game's boss which is a dragon guarding a vault. 

Crafting: Player's will need to collect flowers to create ink. That ink can then be injected into staff drawing designs to empower their staffs unlocking additional mechanics (coming in a future build). Ink can be created by using the VR motion controls to cut flowers, mill, mix, and bottle the ink. Crystals will need to be collected, shaped and equipped to improve spell power. Wood is needed to create staff parts as well. Players can cut, shape, lathe, draw and CNC staff parts to build a staff that fits their design creativity. These custom staves can be 3D printed as well, and the files are stored in the save game directory for use with a 3D printer.

MageWorks is being developed by a solo-developer small team now, and while there is lots of content to explore in the current build, there is still a lot of work to be done and bugs to crunch.  If anyone is interested in the game, I would be happy to hear some feedback on how I can continue to improve MageWorks!  

[EDIT] Oculus Store Page Here: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1127921550614118/

30 REPLIES 30

sporx
Adventurer
MageWorks update v0.2.0 is now available!

3q5d4uhnsy7b.jpg

MageWorks v0.2.0 is now available and wraps up assault point integration. With all 20 assault points included, and all spells now integrated, work will focus on additional combat tuning to simplify enemy encounters, as well as the boss fight (the boss fight is currently non-functional, but available to see).

What's new:
  • All 20 assault points now integrated
  • All 3 vaults have been integrated into the environments. Currently the drones that are discovered here are already unlocked for testing, however, these will need to be unlocked at full release.
  • 2 Environments of have overhauled with new art! "The Shoppes" have been rebuilt as a much larger town, and the "Crystal Caves" have been rebuilt as a much larger cave network with an electrical magic theme.
Known Issues:
  • Crystal shaping is going through a slight re-design and will be easier in the next build
  • Scaling is a bit off in the new Crystal Cave map, but will be fixed in the next build
  • The current menu setting for a different type of teleport is not functional yet.
On the Horizon:
  • Dragon boss fight
  • Bug crunching
  • Game-play balancing
A few more images from design dev looking at the 5 magic-type themed environments to explore:

9tc9hq1ibi3o.jpg

fg2efwbmchgn.jpg

w8jbwgfubolh.jpg

6r6s3n41l97x.jpg

elboffor
Consultant
Looks pretty dam sweet!
I have a couple of questions if i may, is supersampling available in the options? Also is save game progress cloud based?
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

sporx
Adventurer

elboffor said:

Looks pretty dam sweet!
I have a couple of questions if i may, is supersampling available in the options? Also is save game progress cloud based?

thanks!
Supersampling isn't available right now (in fact i haven't built video options into the menu system yet), but i will add this to the options at the next go.  
Save games are currently stored locally on the clients machine, as are the 3d export files for any models being made, but i have built a cloud system i'm testing for the 3d exports which may be used toward full release date. Probably won't use cloud for save games any time soon, but i can see why this might be a good thing to include in the future (or at least synced with client machine if available).  

elboffor
Consultant
Oculus has a cloud system you can use aparently
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This and Lone Echo are at the top of my list. Great stuff!

sporx
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

thanks @Zenbane , i'll do what i can to live up to that!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

sporx said:

Zenbane said:

Type that epic VR code until your fingers bleed, brah! B)

Seriously though, this game already seems to have some much needed "uniqueness" to add to the present-date VR ecosystem.

sporx
Adventurer

Zenbane said:

sporx said:

Zenbane said:

Type that epic VR code until your fingers bleed, brah! B)

Seriously though, this game already seems to have some much needed "uniqueness" to add to the present-date VR ecosystem.

do you even code, brah?!, lol.  
not sure i'll make it into the pro-tour without some sort of meta-game, but in any case, it's really encouraging to hear there's interest in this type of content. 

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
Wow, I'm really impressed by that intro vid man, great job! Gonna have to give this a go!