New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New VR Oriented Flight Sim

vfrhawkvfrhawk Posts: 82
Hiro Protagonist
Not sure if anyone else missed this, but I certainly did:

http://forum.flyinside-fsx.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5626

Basically, the devs behind FlyInside for FSX/P3D/XP are planning to release their own flight sim.  Sounds really interesting to me - interesting enough that I'll probably hold off on upgrading to P3D v4!

Surprised I can't see a discussion on here about it already @Techy111 ?

Comments

• BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    DCS
    DCS
    DCS

For flight sim, I am surprised not many are talking about DCS here. It's amazing. You gotta try it.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,559 Volunteer Moderator
    @vfrhawk :) I was holding off a bit until I had more info to post. But yes, Flyinside are making their own 64 bit sim. This was announced at flight sim con at the weekend. I will post further details a bit later.
    As for DCS, it's not new is it ? ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Nexus 6
    Techy111 said:
    @vfrhawk :) I was holding off a bit until I had more info to post. But yes, Flyinside are making their own 64 bit sim. This was announced at flight sim con at the weekend. I will post further details a bit later.
    As for DCS, it's not new is it ? ;)
    Not new, true. But Elite Dangerous is not new either, yet it's been mentioned much more often than DCS. I don't own ED but I've tried it for a few hours. I much prefer DCS...
    This forum is full of dcs threads already :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• vfrhawkvfrhawk Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    @Techy111  Well keep us up to date with all the insider gossip!  :wink:
    Wiĺl do mate. Dan showed it off at the conference and sustained 90fps with the TFDi B717 and reports say it was super fluid. Exciting times for us VR sim fans. That B717 brings my PC and FSX to it's knees normally lol and the good news is he is saying we can import FSX aircraft. Will post more details soon :) Oh and plain old 4k desktop he reckons 200 fps but I'll wait to see that one ;)

Nexus 6
    So I am just late to the party...
    Well the thread is for a new sim not an old one. So you are just joining the party ;)

Hiro Protagonist
    Maybe we should hold a VR flight simming launch party when the product is ready?  :smile:

I'm in Bedfordshire, aren't you somewhere reasonably nearby @Techy111?
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,809 Valuable Player
    DCS
    DCS
    DCS

For flight sim, I am surprised not many are talking about DCS here. It's amazing. You gotta try it.
    I think about DCS but it's very intimidating. I have IL2 Stalingrad and landing is an adventure.  Two words -- ground loop. It took me days just to figure out how to taxi in those taildraggers. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,879 Valuable Player
    I'll pick up this flight sim when it's available for sure.
    I'm in London @vfrhawk :)

Hiro Protagonist
    Not too far away then.  Defo think a VR flight sim party might be in order! :smiley:

• ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    Any chance of a clearer view? Resolution wise, how will it compare with the fuzzyish FSX on our CV1 ? Can the resolution be raised or will we still need super sampling ?
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    edited June 2017
    Aerofly 2 VR built from the ground up with built in Super Sampling is the best VR flying experience you can buy. I dare you to find anything better than flying up to the Statue of Liberty in New York. This is the only flying sim that the Statue of Liberty looks like the Statue of Liberty! The buildings are a sight to behold and keeps the frame rate of 90fps without any assistance e.g. Time/Spacewarp. It is so good that Orbx have started to support it as of today B)
    As you said in your post , "game" when it becomes a sim with good flight dynamics and flight controls then it'll take off. Prettiness isn't everything and if you are a hard-core simmer then af2 will stay a "game" until then ;)

• ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    Hard core simming with the CV1 !! :/
    Now that is NOT the best way to enjoy VR Flight simming.
    "Hardcore" flight simmers require much more info etc than the limited VR resolution can give us.
    I think that Flyinside even mentions something about that in a splash screen?

No way possible to do things seriously at the moment with the awful resolution of the headset.
    Just flight simming for fun is way way better and as Forestguy mentioned, Aerofly2 for him is the best experience. I pop on the headset with FSX when I want to just have some fun and not be too serious.
    Just use VR flight simming for fun. As a game. At the moment.
    Nope disagree. Certainly wouldn't call the resolution  awful. I sim all the time in my cv1. Fsx, p3d, xplane 10 and 11 and DCS. On Saturday I flew for 5 hours. It's your opinion and experience I assume that means you cannot do anything with simming in your headset? AF2 is a game in my opinion and shouldn't be confused with a sim. But my opinion only.

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,294 Valuable Player
    Yes, Tony, I think someone needs to do their homework regarding DCS.
    Not only that, my flying and the experience have improved immeasurably with VR, and I've been simming since 1985. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,765 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    ColinB said:
    Hard core simming with the CV1 !! :/
    Now that is NOT the best way to enjoy VR Flight simming.
    "Hardcore" flight simmers require much more info etc than the limited VR resolution can give us.
    I think that Flyinside even mentions something about that in a splash screen?

No way possible to do things seriously at the moment with the awful resolution of the headset.
    Just flight simming for fun is way way better and as Forestguy mentioned, Aerofly2 for him is the best experience. I pop on the headset with FSX when I want to just have some fun and not be too serious.
    Just use VR flight simming for fun. As a game. At the moment.
    I fly the A10C and I prefer the Rift because I can see the HUD better then I can see it on my 42" screen. I can also read the MFCD's much better, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. If your talking about looking around at the environment then it doesn't look as pretty, but flying is about looking at the instruments a lot of the time and the Rift helps me to read them much better. I also set my flights to night time, so the pretty environments doesn't even become a factor.
    The resolution in the HMD doesn't bother me.  I still know what gauges to look at, I can read them.  The gfx are just fine to me.  They may not be as sharp as my monitor, but I've played both ways and I prefer the HMD because it just feels like I'm actually in an aircraft to me.

Now.... As far as Aerofly2 being great because it's built from the ground up for VR.  The graphics are great, but the flight mechanics are shit in comparison to a true Simulator.  I want my planes to feel right, when they don't it does feel like a video game.  The flight mechanics are why I don't play that game even though I paid $50 for it.  (Which the Dev deserves btw, I fully support their project, I just don't like the way the planes fly at the moment)
  • forestguyforestguy Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    Just bought the new Orbx Innsbruck for Aerofly 2. Simply stunning. B)

Orbx is awesome, but the planes need to fly right for me to enjoy it.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,765 Valuable Player
    @forestguy - I prefer this music when I'm in the cockpit. I also put on my shades while I'm playing it.

Shades under your rift ? seriously cool  B)

• TbonicusTbonicus Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 2017
    Would one of you fine fliers be so kind as to post a game name acronym legend, so us blank-faced folks might enjoy your conversation?
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,657 Valuable Player
    That video just makes me want to invite you guys to take a shower with me so we can all go pretend to play volleyball as an excuse to flex and slap each other on our bums.
    WAAAGH!
    Count me in  B)

Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2017
    @Tbonicus on the off chance you were serious...

FSX = Flight Sim X, Microsofts last covers the whole world flight sim.  Still available to buy on Steam and now sold by Dovetail games after MS shut down the ACES studio that made it
    P3D = Prepar3d, Lockheed Martin bought the rights to FSX from MS, but only for non entertainment purposes - Dovetail Games (see above) got the entertainment rights.  Just had a new version released that is 64 bit so can use all that lovely memory we all have in our PC's now.  Many users buy the Academic licence for this and say they're learning to fly to get around the licence restrictions, which LM seem to just smile and nod at.
    DCS = Digital Combat Simulator.  Separate from the products above.  Purely military sim that started off covering modern military aircraft but has branched out a lot recently - WW2 aircraft and scenery are now available, the first WW2 campaign is imminent
    Aerofly FS2 - Another separate sim, this time aimed at civilian aircraft.  I believe it only covers two areas of the world, where as FSX and P3D model the whole planet.  Supposed to be very good in VR.  Never used it so can't comment
    Laminar Research Xplane 10 or 11 - Separate civilian oriented sim, again recently released a new 64 bit version.  Unfortunately, I've also never used this one so can't comment on its qualities or otherwise.

Did I miss any major players?  Not sure I'd count Dovetails own sim in that category yet...
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,657 Valuable Player
    Warthunder is always worth a look.
    WAAAGH!