New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I'm overwhelmed by content. Are you? Or not.

inovatorinovator Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
edited June 2017 in General
Wow vr has come a long way. Between what I already owned, and after setting up doom 3 vr, and my vive subscription, and free games and experiences, and the summer sale, I have tons to do and won't run out. I play around 4 to 5 days a week for 3 to 4 hous each time. How's it going content wise, with you other members? 

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Absolutely agree, there is plenty of content.  I don't play as much as you and i don't play many games - i'm always looking for new non-game material.  I love looking for the best stuff, the best looking, the most innovative app.  I'm hoping to have more time on my hands very soon where i can play games more.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,484 Valuable Player
    Tbh I've been VERY happy with the amount of quality content that's been available since the Rift launched (even though I didn't get my Rift until October last year!), particularly from the Oculus Store.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731
    3Jane
    I bought a number of titles in the last sale which I've spread out out to this one, in-between my everyday go to game of Eleven. I'm comfortable playing long sessions in VR and I can get through even longer than average games for VR like Edge of Nowhere in a few sessions. Not having a bottomless pit of money to plow into purchases, I try to be savvy what I buy. One of the games from the last purchase was Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. I only fired it up for the first time yesterday when when had a family BBQ. It was great fun and is something I see having plenty of replayability due letting everyone having turns in the headset. It was a big hit. I bought Fruit ninja in this sale and that seems a great title to dip into and for friendly in home competition.

I'm not someone who overdoses on shooty, shooty, stabby, killy type games (way too many of these), but SuperHot was great and can see myself revisiting that regularly. Other than that I like my puzzle, adventure, explore type games, or anything that's a bit different. Also sport if it's done well.

The creative stuff (medium, quill, etc) type apps look great, unfortunately anything I try tends to look like it's been done by a one legged, blind, drunk duck who's uses its mouth for tools.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,521 Valuable Player
    Plenty here for me to keep me busy for a while. Spending a lot of time in Battle of Stalingrad and DCS, with occasional jaunts into Robo Recall, Dead and Buried,  and Star Trek Bridge Crew. Just these alone keep me very occupied. Still have Arizona Sunshine installed and yet to play as well. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    Quite the opposite for me. There is SO much shovelware. I can count the number of quality titles on both hands, easily.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    Storm your like many of us who like you said don't have bottomless pit of money. You may also want to consider a vive subscription for around 7 dollars a month. You pick 5 games a month and then keep or pick replacements the next month. So far I really like it and it works well with the rift. It really bothers me when I pay up to15 dollars for an experience and its good only for  1 or 2 short playthroughs.
    Quite the opposite for me. There is SO much shovelware. I can count the number of quality titles on both hands, easily.
    Perhaps on Steam, but the content in the Oculus Store is MUCH better. It isn't 100% great titles by any means but if you compare the content available on Steam with the content on the Oculus Store it's about as night and day as you can get in terms of quality of content. It was a BIG reason why Vive owners were having kittens about the Vive not being compatible with Oculus Home before Revive appeared.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Oculus content is great but the steam subscription is a good value in addition.
    3Jane
    inovator said:
    Storm your like many of us who like you said don't have bottomless pit of money. You may also want to consider a vive subscription for around 7 dollars a month. You pick 5 games a month and then keep or pick replacements the next month. So far I really like it and it works well with the rift. It really bothers me when I pay up to15 dollars for an experience and its good only for  1 or 2 short playthroughs.
    Interesting, I had heard about this but didn't even consider that there would be rift ready titles in it. what have you played so far?
  • Tattoo_DudeTattoo_Dude Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2017
    I've been overwhelmed with games for so long I can't even remember. I pick up games in the steam sales thinking I still have time like I did when I was a bachelor and did nothing but sit around with a few beers and play games. Now (and thankfully) I have so many other things that I want and need to do but I still can't resist a good game sale. I picked up 8 new games here on the Oculus store and another couple in Steam that were on sale. Now with the Steam summer sale coming up, I can see the pile growing further still! And I still have not touched Vorpx which I have over 50 games (over half of which I never played) that I can swap over and play in VR as well. But, you know, it is a good kind of overwhelmed....like drowning in a see of cute, cuddly puppies!  :)
    3Jane
    I've heard about this stockpiling of games that never get played. Personally it would never happen to me, I'm far too mean with my money to buy something and not take advantage of it!
    I think I've spent around 400 quid in the Oculus Store alone. Bloody hell lol

And I don't even want to BEGIN to think about Steam lmfao

I'm a sucker for Sales and bargain prices  :o

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    snowdog said:
    Perhaps on Steam, but the content in the Oculus Store is MUCH better. It isn't 100% great titles by any means but if you compare the content available on Steam with the content on the Oculus Store it's about as night and day as you can get in terms of quality of content. It was a BIG reason why Vive owners were having kittens about the Vive not being compatible with Oculus Home before Revive appeared.
    Meh...I meant Steam and Oculus store combined.
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 939
    3Jane
     I agree, tons of stuff out there. I've been playing Obduction, and it's amazing how time-consuming that one game is, both playing and watching videos trying to figure it out! 
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    I'm personally surprised, both by the number of quality games, and the diversity of content. Especially after seeing the games availalble right at the beginning, and finding more and more great games, and upcoming games. At the moment I'd say that content wise the future is looking very bright, now I just want to see the playerbase steadily increase since I mostly play mp games.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,072 Valuable Player
    shooty, shooty, stabby, killy .

Awesome. Makes digital murder sound cute a n d cuddly.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    To answer storms question with the vive subscription that's 7 dollars a month the 1st month free I chose for my 5 items the blue, knockout league, fantastic contraption, mars odessy  and perfect. I tried all but perfect so far and they played fine on the rift. 
    shooty, shooty, stabby, killy .

Awesome. Makes digital murder sound cute a n d cuddly.
    I was actually contemplating developing a Serial Killer Simulator game lol

• Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    edited June 2017
    inovator said:
    To answer storms question with the vive subscription that's 7 dollars a month the 1st month free I chose for my 5 items the blue, knockout league, fantastic contraption, mars odessy  and perfect. I tried all but perfect so far and they played fine on the rift. 
    It's actually a pretty good deal, there are plenty of games that I'm interested in that I'm not going to keep playing for long, or experiences I want to try. It wouldn't be long before I'd struggle to find my moneys worth on there,  but until that it's a great deal. I'm pretty tempted to get it at the moment.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    I bought  some games that I have only played once. Some are crap but there are a ton of good games that I just don't have time to play.  
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
    3Jane
    inovator said:
    That actually sounds like a good deal, I've sniffed out all those titles. Methinks I should go a looky looky across the pond.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    Are you returning any of them so far?  I wonder how this works for developers to get paid...  Great for consumers for sure.  I know I'd use that subscription knowing full well I probably wouldn't keep over 90% of what I try.
    I'm not overwhelmed, there's a ton of garbage on both Oculus and Steam.  But at the same time there are a lot of good games.  The only thing that I find overwhelming is the terrible layout of the Oculus store, it's not easy to find new titles, and I hate just scrolling though everything just looking for a game or the image for that game that I don't recognize seeing in the list.
    I am still on my 1st free month. I will probably return 4 out of 5 and get 4 more. 
  • MervinRaeMervinRae Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2017
    falken76 said:
    I'm not overwhelmed, there's a ton of garbage on both Oculus and Steam.  But at the same time there are a lot of good games.  The only thing that I find overwhelming is the terrible layout of the Oculus store, it's not easy to find new titles, and I hate just scrolling though everything just looking for a game or the image for that game that I don't recognize seeing in the list.

Same here!

Most is shovelware and 2/3 of the bigger Rift games do not support Touch. What remains are a handfull of "good" games.

If you think about it though even with 2d games there is plenty of crap. It also depends what you like. In my case there is much more than a handful of games. That's personal preference. I'm glad to see there is a big positive difference on what members are saying on this subject than past threads. Wait something feels different in a positive way. Oh I know! Zenbane isn't here to ruin my thread. Wow! 
  • Tattoo_DudeTattoo_Dude Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    falken76 said:
    The only thing that I find overwhelming is the terrible layout of the Oculus store, it's not easy to find new titles, and I hate just scrolling though everything just looking for a game or the image for that game that I don't recognize seeing in the list.
    Totally agree. I hate that when I am trying to find a specific title, I have to scroll through everything just to find that one. There needs to be a search option and there also should be better categorization. "All Oculus Touch Titles" is not a category. OK, it is a category, but if they are going to use it as such, they need to create subcategories to further hone your search. Right now, Arizona Sunshine is sandwiched on three sides by Virtual Desktop, Quill and Job Simulator. Short of being touch titles, these titles have nothing in common.
    Also, why does the order of the titles change constantly? I find a title in the morning and make a mental note,"it is on the right hand column about 10 titles down" and then go back in the afternoon and everything is shuffled around again! With the lack of a search or more precise category system, this creates further frustration.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Im still trying to reach the top of the mountain on mountain goat mountain. Until i complete that game i aint playing anything else.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    falken76 said:
    The only thing that I find overwhelming is the terrible layout of the Oculus store, it's not easy to find new titles, and I hate just scrolling though everything just looking for a game or the image for that game that I don't recognize seeing in the list.
    Totally agree. I hate that when I am trying to find a specific title, I have to scroll through everything just to find that one. There needs to be a search option and there also should be better categorization. "All Oculus Touch Titles" is not a category. OK, it is a category, but if they are going to use it as such, they need to create subcategories to further hone your search. Right now, Arizona Sunshine is sandwiched on three sides by Virtual Desktop, Quill and Job Simulator. Short of being touch titles, these titles have nothing in common.
    Also, why does the order of the titles change constantly? I find a title in the morning and make a mental note,"it is on the right hand column about 10 titles down" and then go back in the afternoon and everything is shuffled around again! With the lack of a search or more precise category system, this creates further frustration.
    It does have a search function.  I don't know if it has one in the HMD, I use the desktop version.  Their's an icon for a magnifying glass at the top right next to settings on Oculus home for desktop.  But you are absolutely correct about Categories.  People need to be able to easily navigate the site in order to browse since we'd need to know what we're looking for via search.  They have no decent way to inform us of new titles, they should have a new section with filters so we can drill down to touch titles only if that's all we're interested in.  Hell they should even show us what's new since our last visit everytime we log on.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    Agreed a little tweaking and the home store would be a lot better.
    Honestly for as new as the Oculus is there are a ton of great titles.

When you add driving and flight sims which can both be played hours at a time and are highly replayable your content increases three fold.

With the experiences like the ISS and Buzz's get your ass to mars simulation hey the sky's the limit.

Sure there is a lot of independent junk on both stores but I chose the rift because I like the touch controllers better and I think the Rift has better content.

I just wish that DCS was a Rift title but I guess Steam locked that down so I got it there.
    WAAAGH!