New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

You think Bethesda will launch Fallout 4 VR on the Rift!!!

Comments

• Arock387Arock387 Posts: 729
    Trinity
    I care not of the Fallout 4 VR announcement after they showed off the official Skyrim VR.  That is what I want!
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,377 Valuable Player
    I purposely have not bought any DLC's in the hope VR would come to Fallout town, leaving me some content to explore.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    fallout on oculus store... practically zero chance.

Fallout running on the rift courtesy of steam VR - possibly after a hack - i would say highly likely.

imo the biggest worry for me is, will it technically work, but with woeful integration of touch, where it insists on treating them like wands........   I would say thanks to the zenimax issues this is likely... and while this may mean it is in some way playable.. it would not be something i would pay money for.

the game has to recognise the touch controllers and support accordingly for FO4 to be worth money on the rift... and if i was a betting man on this one..... i would fold as imo it could go either way.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    i havent tried it... but, havent they done that already? i do not like dota2 as a game. its pure PvP and when itried it it was so toxic to new players i hated it.

but i am pretty sure it shows up in my "VR" list in steam.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    ahhh ok, thanks for the info.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 514
    Neo
    Ok so viveport .. you can play games and content on rift ? correct

Re-Rift what is this you talk of ? 

Im confused - so basically we all stuck reporting games from all content providers to our faces.. 
  • JettStilesJettStiles Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    You can prepurchase Fallout 4 VR on Steam now -- it only shows official support for the HTC though.
    Guess this means us Oculees have to rely on third-party-software to get it working.

Well, since Bethesda is so eagerly waving their middle finger at us I wouldn't be surprised if in return some Oculus-fellas would wave back by going the pirated-copy-way.
    Never been a fan of pirated games but in that case even I would say: Own fault.
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor
  • JettStilesJettStiles Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    elboffor said:

its all irrelevant IMO, the real winner of the vr exclusivity wars will be whoever gets an exclusive for GTAVR (if anyone can get rock* to do it that is)

Decent suggestion. I will counter by saying that the real winner will be whoever gets the first VR-MMORPG, the likes of World of WarCraft and Star Wars the Old Republic Online.

Full Word of Warcraft support in VR --- take all the marriages and lifes that have been ruined by that game already and add a factor of ten. I'd fear for humanity if that really happens :)
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    If they released a Star Wars VR mom I'll be glad I'm single because if I was married it wouldn't be for long after release
    WAAAGH!
    Mmo even I hate apple autocorrect
    WAAAGH!
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Don't feel bad.  Star Wars moms have made many a man want to leave his wife.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • javelina1javelina1 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Would be cool to play Fallout 4.  Also, Bioshock Infinite would be another awesome game.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    Am I the only one bothered by the punctuation and syntax of the thread title? 
    I'm just wondering if I'm a giant pedant or a normal one.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,428 Volunteer Moderator
    Zoomie said:
    Am I the only one bothered by the punctuation and syntax of the thread title? 
    I'm just wondering if I'm a giant pedant or a normal one.
    It's not a question, he's telling you what you think. Think it!!!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • FieldOfVisionFieldOfVision Posts: 211 Oculus Start Member
    Yes this is really cool news! Fallout 4 VR has been a while in the making and discussions, but then when they announced and demoed Skyrim VR as well. HOLY CRAB YES. But I believe there aren't enough hours in the day for this.

We need a VR application that double the amount of hours in VR, so you can play longer than actual real time. Who wants to work on this project with me?

Latest VR game: Crazy Kung Fu
    Other games: www.FieldOf.Vision
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,377 Valuable Player
    edited June 2017
    @FieldOfVision  Funny you should say that, I just listened to a book on Audible called Awaken online. It is all about a new virtual reality game run by an unhinged AI and the game had time compression. So 1 day in real life is like 3 days in game. Good book if you like Ready player One type of light hearted adventuring.

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,367 Valuable Player
    I don't care. I bought it a while back, cos everyone was raving about it and I thought it was boring as hell.

If I did want to kill myself, I could just get it going in either VorpX or TriDef VR anyway.

Had I known Zedimad had owt to do with it I wouldn't have bought it. Wankers.

• Tattoo_DudeTattoo_Dude Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm kind of middle of the road in how I feel about these two titles and it seems they screwed both of them up in two completely different ways. FO4 features the Vive wands instead of hands onscreen which is just the most bizarre choice and Skyrim used teleportation instead to normal locomotion, which really seems like it would break the game for me. Never mind the fact that Skyrim is 6 years old now. I don't know, weird design decisions on these two and having played Skyrim to death already, I just don't really care.....
    My feelings exactly tattoo way to late for either title for me.
    Now if the new elder scrolls which is in development comes out for vr and has full locomotion I will lose entire days at a time.
    WAAAGH!
  • ToriessianToriessian Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I'm not going to panic about the lack of locomotion or hands vs. vive wands until its release day and its not in. We're not looking at complete versions of any of those games nor did we see what options are available in the config menus.
  • ogflatlanderogflatlander Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    I am torn.  Would love to explore the Fallout world in VR.  But if that demo of floating devices with no hands and the armor helmet floating above the HTC wand then I don't think I would miss it too much.  VR has been out long enough where you can do better with how interaction with objects are handled.  I know it wasn't built from the ground up for VR but that level of feeling tacked on just doesn't do it for me.   
    I think the reason they don't show hands in Fallout 4 VR is that there are literally thousands of physics objects you can pick up and interact with, and you can rotate all of them in your grasp in all three axes. It would be practically impossible to properly show your hands holding all these things in all potential orientations.

I wouldn't mind seeing hands when you're not holding anything or holding guns (since those animations already exist in the base game), but then they would have to disappear whenever you picked anything up, or else just awkwardly intersect the objects without properly gripping them.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    nalex66 said:
    I think the reason they don't show hands in Fallout 4 VR is that there are literally thousands of physics objects you can pick up and interact with, and you can rotate all of them in your grasp in all three axes. It would be practically impossible to properly show your hands holding all these things in all potential orientations.

I wouldn't mind seeing hands when you're not holding anything or holding guns (since those animations already exist in the base game), but then they would have to disappear whenever you picked anything up, or else just awkwardly intersect the objects without properly gripping them.
    That's not ... really true. I mean in some regard it may have been difficult simply because theres a lot of unknown factors in how they developed their engine but I can't see why they didnt just use some kind of object parenting system to get any given object to "attach" itself to the hand object. Even if it looked a little janky where a closed fist sinks its fingers into an object it would have been better than not having it.

I did this myself in unity, its really not hard:

Granted, as with any pre-existing project, it's dangerous to make broad assumptions about how a game is coded and there are many factors which always end up throwing things off. But for the life of me I can't think of what they would be in this case. Your hands are already objects, the items are already objects. Its simply a matter of - set hand animation to grabbing, set item position to palm of hand "hold point" and set rotation to a certain value that looks like you are holding it.

Actually thinking now, it may just be that "rotation/position value" of how it binds to the hand. I mean, it's extremely simple to do but there would be over 100 000 objects to make sure that rotation/position value is set correctly on and it would most likely be unique. It would have been really tedious and have taken days to do .. so maybe that's it. They still should have done it, but I guess paying people to work longer .. budgets .. priority issues .. I dunno .. some reason made it not worth doing... apparently.

I'll keep saying it though, if this game still supports modding via the Construction Kit, I think you will see a mod incorporating it eventually.
    You see it with some Touch-enabled games, that objects snap to preset "holding positions" when they get picked up (Wilson's Heart, for example). I find this a little annoying, since I'm constantly trying to adjust my grip to see some detail of the object better, but it can't be done (in that game, anyway).

If every object has "grip point" data carried by it, then this is workable. FO4, however, has a LOT of objects of all different shapes and sizes--anything that can be in your inventory has a physical model, as well as many other "set decoration" items. These items can be picked up from any point on their surfaces in any orientation (in the current version of the game). So then the options are: we lose a lot of freedom in how we can hold and manipulate objects (and they have to program grip points into thousands of objects); or they have to include a LOT of hand animation data to cover all the possibilities; or they can show crappy looking hands that don't conform to the objects or animate well as we manipulate them; or they can go with the choice they made and not show hands holding objects.

Now if the game had Touch integration, it could be better--they could use the Touch gesture recognition to provide Avatar-style hands without having to provide a lot of animation data, although the hands would still have some issues with conforming to objects well.

Anyway, a lot of native Rift games have made the same choice of not showing hands, or not showing them when objects are held. I don't think FO4VR needs to be singled out for going with the option that they felt best suited their game/engine.
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited June 2017
    nalex66 said:
    You see it with some Touch-enabled games, that objects snap to preset "holding positions" when they get picked up (Wilson's Heart, for example). I find this a little annoying, since I'm constantly trying to adjust my grip to see some detail of the object better, but it can't be done (in that game, anyway).

If every object has "grip point" data carried by it, then this is workable. FO4, however, has a LOT of objects of all different shapes and sizes--anything that can be in your inventory has a physical model, as well as many other "set decoration" items. These items can be picked up from any point on their surfaces in any orientation (in the current version of the game). So then the options are: we lose a lot of freedom in how we can hold and manipulate objects (and they have to program grip points into thousands of objects); or they have to include a LOT of hand animation data to cover all the possibilities; or they can show crappy looking hands that don't conform to the objects or animate well as we manipulate them; or they can go with the choice they made and not show hands holding objects.

Now if the game had Touch integration, it could be better--they could use the Touch gesture recognition to provide Avatar-style hands without having to provide a lot of animation data, although the hands would still have some issues with conforming to objects well.

Anyway, a lot of native Rift games have made the same choice of not showing hands, or not showing them when objects are held. I don't think FO4VR needs to be singled out for going with the option that they felt best suited their game/engine.
    I would have just been fine with the fingers clipping through the objects whenever you pick up something that is that "awkward" a shape. However, everything should/would have a "grip point" and most of the items you can pick up do fit in the players hand smoothly, certainly every weapon in the game should. It's just a matter of finding that "grip position/rotation", which like I said in my previous post, would need to be unique for every item (and fairly tedious to comb through every object to set up).

If you're picking up something more "box shaped" and it clips the fingers a little, well .. its still more immersive than having no hands or having the hands disappear imo.

You could always try and find that "best position" which would do it the least .. such as the corner of a box. There may also be some grey area where you only need a couple of hand animations and it covers everything. E.g. a box object is pretty common, so you have a hand animation for holding a box that covers everything from boxes to bricks to TV's to books and anything else shaped like a rectangular prism. Then you have the grabbing animation for anything the player can hold as a weapon or anything that has a "thin section" for the hand to close around .. such as a stick, pipe, or even things like lamps or anything with a handle like a gas canister. There are a lot of items that can be covered by just a "handful" of hand animations.

Then you have maybe a thousand or so amongst the hundreds of thousands of items which don't fit that criteria and you can just let it clip through. For whatever reason they didn't implement it. I would settle for those problems over lacking it entirely.
    edited June 2017
    Fair enough. I personally don't like the "grip points/position" solution, because many items don't have one natural way to hold them, and I want the freedom to hold them in any position I choose.

Fallout 4 can be a bit of an "interior decorator simulator"--many people spend a lot of time placing objects around their character's home base. Placing objects precisely demands the ability to grab them, subtly adjust their position, and release them. Having objects snap to a different position/orientation for the purpose of showing them gripped by the virtual hand would be infinitely frustrating in that context.

Even the 2D version of the game doesn't show hands for random object manipulation, although it does for weapons. I'd be fine with that--seeing hands when looking at the Pip-Boy or holding guns, but not showing them for other object handling and workshop mode crafting (settlement building).
  • ogflatlanderogflatlander Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Agreed for building your town up but most items in Fallout just appear in your inventory when searching and when building your town you are not manipulating an object like you would in the exploration part of the game.  In build mode you are intalling a whole building sometimes so I would not expect hands as there wer no hands in the main game.  I just see that robo recall and most shooters on the rift at least have hands and when accessing the pip boy I would think with how it is located on your wrist an attached hand would make sense.  Again, not slamming it or saying I will not buy it but with how well other games have incorporated hands that when I saw the trailer it did jump out to me.  Especially when you are dealing with the Vive wand where objects appeared attached to the end of it and how some games designed with touch can do a bit more with interaction.  

Like someone said earlier as I am in no way a developer but taking an existing game and coding it for VR can not be easy and I am sure there is a reason but it just threw me off.  IF I had a choice I would rather how it is with missing hands but a fun game in VR.  It's like folks that complain about textures in games when you slow the video down and zoom in you can see checker boarding but once you jump into the game and start playing you are not even thinking about it.  
  • AtariVRAtariVR Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Brixmis said:
    I don't care. I bought it a while back, cos everyone was raving about it and I thought it was boring as hell.

If I did want to kill myself, I could just get it going in either VorpX or TriDef VR anyway.

Had I known Zedimad had owt to do with it I wouldn't have bought it. Wankers.
    I was bummed after E3 that skyrim is not coming natively to Vive this year.  So I heard on reddit that the new vorpx with DirectVR is pretty turnkey.  I updated my old copy, put in skyrim, and sure enough, there I was in glorious SkyrimVR, with no glitching, no crashing, everything just worked, vive wands and all. I really enjoyed it, reminded me of my old dual input z800 days with oblivion a decade ago now.

Seems fallout 3 and 4 work pretty well with the updated vorpx.  For those not aware, cybereality could have had all this fame and fortune that Ralf has with vorpx, as he worked on the original code for Vireio and had he stayed on the project its possible he would be even bigger than ralf is today with Vorpx.  Sadly he felt his future was better served going up under oculus and staying with facebook.  Cyber has a good heart, I always wondered if he was given a job opportunity JUST SO HE WOULD NOT continue to develop virieo, these corporations love to shut down competition.
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 540
    Neo
    AtariVR said:
    I was bummed after E3 that skyrim is not coming natively to Vive this year.  So I heard on reddit that the new vorpx with DirectVR is pretty turnkey.  I updated my old copy, put in skyrim, and sure enough, there I was in glorious SkyrimVR, with no glitching, no crashing, everything just worked, vive wands and all. I really enjoyed it, reminded me of my old dual input z800 days with oblivion a decade ago now.

To be fair though, Skyrim isn't completely perfect through Vorpx. There's still the scale problem with the giant arms in the first person view. Also I thought the motion controls just worked as a joypad substitute rather than the proper full blown swing your swords around experience. Same goes for FO4.
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 228
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2017
    Zenbane said:
    elboffor said:

its all irrelevant IMO, the real winner of the vr exclusivity wars will be whoever gets an exclusive for GTAVR (if anyone can get rock* to do it that is)

Decent suggestion. I will counter by saying that the real winner will be whoever gets the first VR-MMORPG, the likes of World of WarCraft and Star Wars the Old Republic Online.

Who ever brings Marvel cinematic universe to VR wins, everything is there for a perfect VR game and there is a huge fan base whould just by a VR system to "be" a marvel superhero in those move sequences !! Imagine being THOR on the flying monster alongside HULK,in the the first movie !! Wow !!