New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Connect 4 date announcement - predictions?

FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player

Comments

• AtariVRAtariVR Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    I met with the guys from occipital, they said a new oculus SLAM HMD is going to be talked about.  
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    I love seeing all these live feeds of SLAM tracking systems, something mesmerising about it.

This one by Google is great too:

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Okay... my predictions:

We will see a new prototype named "monterey", inside out tracking HMD.
    At least one talk from Carmack and Abrash.
    The talk from Abrash could be about AR.
    A lot of talks about how some games have been made. A lot of talks about technology improvements.
    Some other stuff like diversity programm.
    No special announcements, but some hints for the future.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • AtariVRAtariVR Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    With some companies claiming a 10X increase over current resolution, and others a 70X increase, I am guessing Oculus will claim a 420X increase in resolution.  

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    AtariVR said:
    With some companies claiming a 10X increase over current resolution, and others a 70X increase, I am guessing Oculus will claim a 420X increase in resolution.  

I use a Vive daily.  There's no way it looks as clear as that.
  • ogflatlanderogflatlander Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    snowdog said:
    Zuckerberg will announce that he's just bought ZeniMax lol
    That would be so awesome.  I am sitting in my office laughing about that scenario.  True form for Silicon Valley.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,711 Valuable Player
    That would make me laugh so hard if he did.
    WAAAGH!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,150 Valuable Player

Speculation for OC4:

- ‘Standalone’ headset release date and price hinted at

- Announce branding changes / restructuring

- Announce deal with Apple

- Stepping down of one of the remaining founders

- Announce new all in one Samsung headset

- Demonstration of new AR project (Magic Leap killer)

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    If he did it would be 500 million cheaper  :D
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731
    3Jane
    Release of a major update to OH with interactive environments and ability to invite others. Access to PC data and browser, simple games. Facebook has spent years building an environment that you don't have to leave for many things. OH is a place you have no desire to stay in.

I don't know where we need to get to so that we are no longer running Beta firmware but by OC4 we'll be over 18 months since launch, if it's not done by then I'll assume CV1 is a destined to be a big beta experiment.

Anything software announced that's been developed internally, don't do it unless it's somewhere near completion. Facebook Spaces was demoed at OC3 and 8/9 months later it still doesn't function as well as what was shown on stage. When you do that, you're setting yourself for criticism. 

Unify the whole store experience across web, in app, in headset. At the moment it's a fudge and they all operate differently (and not effectively). I'd like to see a full description in headset, in app footage (2D and VR), reviews, discussions, some idea what an update has done (oculus apps are actually the worst for this in app, they say nothing). Just give us the impression that you're putting some real effort into the user experience please. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,479 Valuable Player
    App screenshots in VR have been available to be implemented by developers since day one via Cube Maps, just that NONE of them has taken advantage of it yet for some reason.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 228
    Nexus 6
    they must introduce multiple killer apps
    Nacaryus said:
    Or multiple killer app robots 
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 228
    Nexus 6
    vannagirl said:
    Nacaryus said:
    Or multiple killer app robots 
     :o 
    edited June 2017
    FrozenPea said:
    Will it be all about Content or will we see stand alone HMD release dates, Rift 2 etc?

Hahahaha

I missed this
    But can you make a medium related connect??
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @kevinw729 those are some bold predictions! :)

@vannagirl haha! :p if medium was multiplayer then i totally would :D
    kevinw729 said:

Speculation for OC4:

- ‘Standalone’ headset release date and price hinted at

- Announce branding changes / restructuring

- Announce deal with Apple

- Stepping down of one of the remaining founders

- Announce new all in one Samsung headset

- Demonstration of new AR project (Magic Leap killer)

Apple? I doubt it, to be honest.
    I also doubt there will be a Magic Leap killer.
    Apple? I doubt it, to be honest.
    I also doubt there will be a Magic Leap killer.
    Sadly, I have to agree, but I wanted to make some sweeping statements as it seems in politics, the wild guesses are the ones that actually happen!

That said, the ability for the OVR team to come up with a AR system that could beat ML is not so far fetched - as I am sure the next announcement for ML will prove!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Oculus probably won't go anywhere near AR until they can get an AR headset with a decent FOV, and by the time that happens we'll probably see a headset that does both VR and AR.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    snowdog said:
    Oculus probably won't go anywhere near AR until they can get an AR headset with a decent FOV, and by the time that happens we'll probably see a headset that does both VR and AR.
    Facebook is very interested in AR. We may not will see a HMD very soon, but there is a lot of R&D going on behind closed doors.
    snowdog said:
    Oculus probably won't go anywhere near releasing an AR headset until they can get an AR headset with a decent FOV, and by the time that happens we'll probably see a headset that does both VR and AR.
    Facebook is very interested in AR. We may not will see a HMD very soon, but there is a lot of R&D going on behind closed doors.
    Oops, my bad. I didn't word that too well, I'm fully aware that they are doing loads of R&D for AR, should have said what I've just edited in the quote above! :blush:

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Haptic feedback gloves please oh please by Oculus.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Oh, they will talk about the new Facebook camera, I think.
    edited June 2017
    They're going to announce that they've bought Zenimax, Sega and Valve.

Then they'll announce that Fallout 4, Doom VFR, Skyrim, Alien Isolation, Half Life 2 VR and Half Life 3 VR will all be releasing on the Oculus Store as Oculus Store exclusives and that they're killing off SteamVR because it's STILL a buggy piece of shite for Rift owners.

Now if Valve had got off their arses, fixed SteamVR and released Half Life 2 VR and Half Life 3 then all of this could have been avoided. But from Oculus Connect 4 onwards Oculus are going to extend the Oculus SDK so that it covers the Vive. This will of course be good news for Vive owners because then they can experience the benefits of ASW.

You heard it all here first.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Its great to have an insider who knows everything, thanks @snowdog you the man ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zuckerberg is also going to have GabeN stuffed and mounted in his office with a big neon sign saying 'This is what happens when you don't give people Half Life 3'.