(after my last thread was lost somehow after editing it...AGAIN....creating a new one)
I have played a few sessions Echo Arena by now and quite like it
- The tutorial does not match the game: In the tutorial thrusters can't be used continuously and have a UI element on the hands. However the tutorial is telling you they can be used continuously, like it actually is in the game.
- The tutorial could be a continuous thing, without all those loading screens in between. The maps combined are that big that they couldn't be in memory as a whole?
- It took me quite some time to figure out the catapults in the launch tubes. Then finally there was some other player launching with like twice my speed. So I followed that guy the next round to figure out what he was doing. Ok, you have to grab that catapult thing and push yourself off and let go in the right moment. However there are some issues: Sometimes the catapult launches like 2 seconds later than in other times? Don't tell me that isn't a bug and intentional, because it would be really annoying if reaching the disk first is just a question of some random roll of the server? The other issue is that in 2/3 cases I get stuck in the small raised thing at the end of the tube, you might want to make that smooth as it is quite frustrating.
- Wrong colored players in the game?!!! I had the case where a blue player spawned on the orange side?! (Or is that some intentional feature where you can trick enemy players by wearing their colors?)
- I often get stuck in my cable and have to unwind myself. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a reset view button. This might work like this: Hold down button, the view fades to something where you see the walls of the Oculus guardian system and some arrows guiding me quickly to whereever "forward" is. When releasing the button I'm back looking in the same direction as before, except that my body is now positioned optimally again for the front-facing setup and I'm not stuck in the cable anymore.
- It's quite annoying to have to respawn in the sleeping pods after each round. Why not respawn directly in a random launch tube? Possibly the "random" should be mirrored with the other team. (However, it's nice that the current respawn can be used to reset the view, see 5.)
- After a match don't put me back in the lobby! I would expect some kind of "ready checkbox" most games have. When you tick it within like 45sec, you stay in the match, otherwise you drop out. Whoever drops out is replaced by new people from matchmaking and a new match starts. (In the current setup, at the very least put my directly in matchmaking again.)