cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get the Samsung Gear VR even if I already own a Rift?

shanaf
Expert Protege
Hi guys,

Im on the fence about purchasing the Gear VR..

I already have the Oculus Rift but Im thinking of buying the Gear VR. Ive recently got the samsung s8+ and thought I might make more use out of it.  What appeals to me most about the Gear vr is its portability and Id like to make use of the netflix app. 

What do you guys think? Do you think Im mad to buy it?
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
The best part is the portability but you don't have tracked controllers or positional tracking so your limited to just sitting down and use it. The new controller is pretty fun though. 

It's really cheap so if you have the money then why not! 🙂 It's perfect for showing VR off to new users and family since you can take it with you. 

Don't expect it to be as good as a Rift and you'll be fine. If your using it for video then the rift doesn't add much to that 🙂

BrockKane
Expert Protege

shanaf said:

Hi guys,

Im on the fence about purchasing the Gear VR..

I already have the Oculus Rift but Im thinking of buying the Gear VR. Ive recently got the samsung s8+ and thought I might make more use out of it.  What appeals to me most about the Gear vr is its portability and Id like to make use of the netflix app. 

What do you guys think? Do you think Im mad to buy it?

I'm thinking the same thing. But for me it's because there seems to be much more content for the Gear. But the portability aspect is very attractive as well. 

Don't think it's a mad decision.

vannagirl
Consultant
I would say yes

Mobile vr is easy fun and good to show it to others without inviting them around

then having to wait hours for them to leave because they are hooked on Arizona Sunshine!!!
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

shanaf
Expert Protege
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate!   Ive decided screw it, its payday today, im gonna get it lol. 

Plus comes in handy on planes aswell when I need to be entertained lol.

If you already own the S8 then you'd be mad not to get the Gear VR.

The Gear VR is fantastic.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

SadGamerDad
Heroic Explorer

I just acquired a Gear VR and an S7 Edge used. I'm enjoying discovering the differences and the convenience of mobile VR. My family thinks I'm a bit of a weirdo for wearing it while sitting on the couch where I have a TV and another phone already at my disposal lol. So far I'm enjoying the events live and the Netflix app is a nice bonus.

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I did and I've been very happy with that choice! They each have their own unique benefits but I love owning a Gear in addition to the Rift. It's nice to take on the road with me during the weekends visiting family and still be able to enjoy a quality VR experience. Also very easy to setup and use!