Rift + Hydra = Flying like a Hero

robotloveskitty
Honored Guest
I made a post with a video over here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=552

This is the slightly refined demo:
http://robotloveskitty.com/Sandbox.zip

Flying Lessons:

Calibration:
Works by just calibrating the left side, 4 red spheres will appear at each calibration point.
Press Left #4 to start calibration
Arm straight up, L4
Arm Forward, L4
Arm by side, L4
Arm out at shoulders, L4
hands should now be synced up

Left #1 = toggle flying/walking mode
Holding still reorients your body.

Walking:
Left stick = move and turn

Flying:
Your hands are the source of propulsion, they will pull at your body from their location and rotation.
Thumbsticks = Thrust Direction for that hand
Triggers = close hands for speed boost

Have fun!

EDIT: Updated with new instructions (video flying lessons still uploading when i made this update)
38 REPLIES 38

mihalski
Honored Guest
I can't figure out how to control it. It sounds simple written down, but it just doesn't seem to work that way.

Maybe you really NEED a Rift to be able to process how the controls work.

robotloveskitty
Honored Guest
yeah... i can't make it do much of anything without wearing the Rift. With it on, I can fly pretty much however I want 😄

dbuck
Honored Guest
Hey man, thanks for sharing! It seems pretty awesome when I'm actually flying, but I can't seem to grok the control scheme here.

basically,

Stand up, hydras to shoulders, hit button 4.. then hit left button 1 to toggle to flying mode, after that the only way I seem to be moving is if I hit the thumbsticks, which does some crazy rotations that I'm not quite understanding! you say the hands should pull at the body without any other input? If i toggle flying and just move my arms / triggers, nothing seems to happen?

Thanks!

dbuck
Honored Guest
also the calibration at shoulders step for me seems odd if i'm sitting down, the hands snap to the bottom of the player rectangle, if i'm standing they appear roughly where I'd expect in front of my face.

robotloveskitty
Honored Guest
"dbuck" wrote:
Stand up, hydras to shoulders, hit button 4..

yep, for both controllers in each hand.
"dbuck" wrote:
the hands snap to the bottom of the player rectangle

you mean the top of the player box? that's where they should go.

"dbuck" wrote:
then hit left button 1 to toggle to flying mode, after that the only way I seem to be moving is if I hit the thumbsticks, which does some crazy rotations that I'm not quite understanding! you say the hands should pull at the body without any other input? If i toggle flying and just move my arms / triggers, nothing seems to happen?

Thats correct, think of it like this:
You have 4 rockets on each hand at the top, bottom, front, back. Thumbsticks control the thrust of those rockets. Closing your hands increases the thrust to the forward rockets (this is a bug, it should increase both forward and backward thrust)

Your body has physics on it, and the trust is applied at the hands position. Try flying with just one hand to get the feel, then you can balance it out with the second hand for more control.

dbuck
Honored Guest
Ok, I got to flying, it's a bit strange, I essentially had to look STRAIGHT up at the ceiling with my arms all the way above my head to get it to work?! and the horizon roll was a bit disorienting

but that's pretty damn cool 🙂

dbuck
Honored Guest
"robotloveskitty" wrote:

"dbuck" wrote:
the hands snap to the bottom of the player rectangle

you mean the top of the player box? that's where they should go.

Nope, If i'm sitting down and trigger the config at my shoudlers, I can't see my hands unless I look down, if i'm standing up and trigger the config at my shoulders they appear to show up in the right position.

I figured it out now, it's more about the orientation and placement of the hands in relation to each other than about the hands in relation of the body! my initial gut reaction was to 'Frankenstein' and expect to fly in the direction of my gaze, which when you do that and hit the thumbsticks, you just faceplant into the ground haha... instead of to tilt the hydras to steer.. Once you figure it out its awesome!

Also one more little thing we need to add in, which seems to be an issue in everyone's demos so far. we need a 'Reset' for the player orientation with respect to the rift orientation, for the cases where you start the game and the rift is pointing a different direction from the screen/hydra.. I need it for mine too, it's a pain to restart because I forgot to point the HMD in the same direction as the screen at startup.

ianmacmillan
Explorer
I'm apparently not smart enough to figure out the control scheme for this. As others have said, moving the left or right joystick just rotates me around crazily. I end up lying on the floor with my head sideways.

Can someone please explain to me like I'm five?

robotloveskitty
Honored Guest
o_o maybe I should make a flying lessons video?
I have flying down to the point where it just feels very natural to me. And the hands as thrusters method gives you complete control. Its basicly the Flight Sim of "Super Hero" flying... where as a lot of other implementations seem more like the Arcade Version.

Can anyone else get around like I can? or have I just made something that only I can use? :lol: