I was wrong.

This morning, I had to grab a few items from my VR Dungeon and I
noticed abrasions on the padding of my Vive deluxe strap. Uh oh. Another
quick trip to Twitter confirmed that I wasn’t the only one who noticed
this.

The fact that NOBODY noticed this, is probably a bad thing. I feel like
if I ripped this padding off (it IS completely replaceable) and tossed
it into a glass of water, it would dissolve surprisingly quick. Not the
best material to stick on a part of the body that loves to sweat.

Pretty funny that the makers of the Gadget of the Year, whose gadget revolves around standing room-scale experiences which does lead to sweat far more than sit-down experiences, didn't test their "deluxe" strap's ability to... get wet 😄

167 REPLIES 167

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
sshhh, waiting 15 months for something you can't even use is worse than waiting 8 months for something that changes an entire Industry @Atmos73

But hey, while you're busy refreshing the Revive product page, maybe you can finally try the free Touch title, First Contact. After nearly half a year of waiting it's only fair that you experience having your fingers in VR with a quality title.

I assume First Contact is available on Revive. I didn't actually confirm cause I'm on the inside of the exclusive premium VR club, na' mean? B)

elboffor
Consultant
Forgot to mention, my headstrap that ive had for about a year still hasn't disolved.

In regards to my playspace, mine is 4m x 4m. Ive seen the pics of yours and its impressive, but is it 4x4?
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

elboffor said:

Forgot to mention, my headstrap that ive had for about a year still hasn't disolved.

In regards to my playspace, mine is 4m x 4m. Ive seen the pics of yours and its impressive, but is it 4x4?

I'm willing to bet that the knuckles will break after the first wall or ceiling fan punch. Just like the head strap couldn't stand up against moisture, I would wager that these knuckles can't hold up against impact. Unlike the Oculus touch, who are durable as hell. I've even punch my guitar amp without causing a single flaw in the controller.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
The controller is in the palm and the Knuckes bit is on the back of the hand there isn't any front protrusion like the Wands or Touch. 

You mean to say that... a controller that calls itself Knuckles doesn't actually wrap around your knuckles?  😄

You're feeding me too much good material to use against the Vive. Slow it down, turbo.

And it is entirely possible to punch with the back of your hand. Like Guile, from Street Fighter

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
So is that a 'no' to the bluetooth and camera?  I'm not trying to fling poo here.  I'm legitimately curious if this highly touted feature is actually useful a year later.  It's amazing how things we consider a huge deal aren't actually that important in hindsight.

Flinging a bit of poo, I can't think of a single application where it's going to be important to track my ring finger or pinky.  It's neat to do the devil horns or the shocker, but childish gestures aside, not once have I missed the use of those two fingers with the Touch.  It looks like an improvement on paper, but I'm not so sure it's a practical step forward.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Haptic gloves are the end game? I thought waterproof head straps were the end game? I thought room-scale was the end game? I thought Standalone HMDs where the end game? No wait, eye tracking is supposed to be the end game...??

This game clearly grants infinite lives.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't heard much about the camera or bluetooth from people in ages, so it made me wonder if anyone actually used them.  I appreciate your candor.

Touch doesn't have "hands free" but you get essentially the same feeling from releasing with your index and middle finger.  Your ring finger and pinky stay in a permanent death-grip, but I hardly notice it.  The plus side is that Touch is a little easier to put down and pick up again.  Just like the Vive headset, Rift's solution is easier to put on and take off while Vive is doubling down in use, once it's on.

Having tried the Wands and owning Touch, you'll notice a HUGE difference in games like The Climb with the new controllers.  Like I said I'm still not convinced it's a huge deal that the last two fingers are tracked.  We'll see if having them strapped to your hand comes with any drawbacks; Oculus steered away from that form-factor and they may have had a good reason.

I don't see the thumb sticks as any less useful than trackpads.  My personal preference is actually towards thumb sticks so I prefer the Touch solution.  YMMV and of course it's down to preference.    
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Now there is some quality feedback, Atmos. I absolutely adore, Call of the Starseed. And I can easily see how the game could not only take advantage of the Knuckles, but also make it seem as if they are tailor-made for each other. The perfect marriage, if you will.

I could consider that a next level experience. The type of thing that drives both competition and innovation. Good stuff!

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Aw, look, they're going to kiss!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

I'm sure Atmos has great kissable lips haha!

Yeah, he really does-- um, ahem, I mean, I wouldn't know anything about that.   😘

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo