New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

1.16 Rift Release Notes

Comments

• BGFHBGFH Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Hello.  I'm a little confused, and unsure if I have the latest version.  Starting on the 19th, I have been getting Oculus updates almost every day, on the 19th, 20th, 21st, and today.  Have there been several small updates?  

I'm also wondering if it's the same update that just isn't installing correctly every time.  Here's what happens.  

I get a dialog box saying there's an update available.  I click Update, and it downloads.  then the Oculus app closes, and I'm left at the desktop.  

When I try opening Oculus again, I get the black screen with the logo flashing for a while, and then back to the desktop.  

If I run the Oculus app again, I get the black screen with Oculus logo, but then the store loads quickly.  Is it just reverting back to an older update, or am I current?  Something seems a bit odd...  

Here is my version info:  
    Oculus App version 1.16.0.409144 
    (1.16.0.409268)  

I'm guessing the 268 version is current, and I'm a little out of date?  How can I manually try updating again?  

Any ideas why I get the above behavior? 

Thanks.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 257
    Nexus 6
    That is the same # I have.  sometimes I have to restart the app and sometimes I do not  It has updated twice in one day then a few times in a week.  So I guess this is the current one.
  • Mot666Mot666 Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    Shii said:
    Mot666 said:
    It works ok, but when you leave it long enough for the controller to switch off it doesn't connect again.
    As a workaround you can open Oculus system menu with the Oculus Remote controller and turn on XBox Gamepad while menu active. Gamepad won't switch off if enabled within menu.
    Thanks, I'll give that a go.
  • tonyfromsyracusetonyfromsyracuse Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Oh I LOVE the new nighttime balcony with the blimp! well done!!
    I would like to walk around the environment a bit. might be nice, it seems only natural you give us an environment we could walk around, dare I say it even have an apartment?

• HedgyHedgy Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2017
    BGFH said:
    Hello.  I'm a little confused, and unsure if I have the latest version.  Starting on the 19th, I have been getting Oculus updates almost every day, on the 19th, 20th, 21st, and today.  Have there been several small updates?  

I'm also wondering if it's the same update that just isn't installing correctly every time.  Here's what happens.  

I get a dialog box saying there's an update available.  I click Update, and it downloads.  then the Oculus app closes, and I'm left at the desktop.  

When I try opening Oculus again, I get the black screen with the logo flashing for a while, and then back to the desktop.  

If I run the Oculus app again, I get the black screen with Oculus logo, but then the store loads quickly.  Is it just reverting back to an older update, or am I current?  Something seems a bit odd...  

Here is my version info:  
    Oculus App version 1.16.0.409144 
    (1.16.0.409268)  

I'm guessing the 268 version is current, and I'm a little out of date?  How can I manually try updating again?  

Any ideas why I get the above behavior? 

Thanks.
    Yeah I'm getting the update every day too, same version as above. I've just downloaded the installer again and hit repair. seems to have fixed it, then again it may try to update again tomorrow.

• KontonrfiveKontonrfive Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Oh I LOVE the new nighttime balcony with the blimp! well done!!
    Edit: Ah, I get you now.

me neither. would be nice if you could share your secret.... how to switch to "nighttime" ?? beside bumping vases and turning radio on.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,029 Volunteer Moderator
    me neither. would be nice if you could share your secret.... how to switch to "nighttime" ?? beside bumping vases and turning radio on.
    The new Home environment is time-of-day dependant, i.e. it changes based on the actual time. I've only seen it at night up until now because I was using my Rift in the late evening, but I just fired it up and finally saw the new Home in the light of day. Pretty cool!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    It still amazes me at the slow progress of Oculus homes development. After a year we get a new environment...wow. Steam VR is far better imo, the environments are way ahead of oculus home where you can move around in them, invite other to join you & just has many more features with a user library of them to choose from. And non of the frustration of having to reset the app to change environments. And after all this time we still can't categorize our library & seem to have lost the categories that were there b4.  
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,315
    Wintermute
    Still getting constant USB errors reported as a result of the latest update, showing itself via Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub error in Device Manager
  • gamersbubugamersbubu Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I've done further research into this problem and it seems that its a windows problem.  Something is terribly wrong here @Greyman.  Its not just the error either, as it does affect things like tracking in oculus home.  So...
  • dcyphuredcyphure Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Still no shortcuts. I'm probably the only one that keeps complaining about this but I think the ability to shortcut other games and apps like Steam does is seriously needed here. The store front inside Home could stand to be a little more navigational friendly with an option to view more videos and pictures available. There are many games where I had to Google for more information, pictures or video..it's all just a bit too basic and a simple "View more" link would be appreciated. 5 pics and a video doesn't always tell me much.
  • mphotogmphotog Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    edited July 2017
    I have 1.16 and now I have no sound in the main menu, the mic does not work, the fire place , the cubes don't go up. I have sound during my games though. Does anyone know which is the fixed 1.16?
    Wintermute
    I've done further research into this problem and it seems that its a windows problem.  Something is terribly wrong here @Greyman.  Its not just the error either, as it does affect things like tracking in oculus home.  So...
    Is there any indication of a solution, as even though i have managed to get rid of it previously, a subsequent Oculus update, or at least an attempt at an update, now has me beaten?
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 372
    Trinity

Ya, I would like to know if there is a solution to this as well. 
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU [email protected] hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • mphotogmphotog Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I have sound in Main Menu again, maybe a quark
    Wintermute
    edited July 2017
    I did a search for a solution and perhaps not surprising, with hindsight, this very forum threw up the solution:-

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/39676/win-10-driver-error-in-control-panel/p1

Thanks to a couple of the BIOS Settings identified in the post by @Gloozy, namely the disabling of the Legacy USB support and disabling of the fast startup, my USB errors on startup have ceased and the Rift is showing properly as a USB 3.0 device again.

Thanks @Gloozy.  I can go back to feeding my flight sim obsession now. :) 
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2017
    Greyman said:
    I did a search for a solution and perhaps not surprising, with hindsight, this very forum threw up the solution:-

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/39676/win-10-driver-error-in-control-panel/p1

Thanks to a couple of the BIOS Settings identified in the post by @Gloozy, namely the disabling of the Legacy USB support and disabling of the fast startup, my USB errors on startup have ceased and the Rift is showing properly as a USB 3.0 device again.

Thanks @Gloozy.  I can go back to feeding my flight sim obsession now. :) 
    Gloozy may have a workaround for some people, so kudos.  But, this is a problem that extends much deeper than that.  I have been working on the usbhub3.inf file and I've made some tweaks that should work for everyone with this problem.  It is a Microsoft issue too -- I can say that with certainty.  I'll keep testing for a few more reboots to make sure it works this time and then I will share the fix.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2017
    In order to fix this problem of the usb sensors causing the usbhub3.inf to do some weird stuff and casuing windows to throw the erroneous error code 31 you need to do a few things.  Firstly, you need to find the file usbhub3.inf which controls the usbxhci stuff and generic usb 3.0 and 2.0 stuff.  So, its nothing to do with legacy vs modern usb specs.  The lines to edit are as follows:  [Generic.AddService]
                                                                                            ErrorControl = 0  
    That is it. After that, you just need to save; set the permissions of the file to save it or windows will bitch.  If you have done those things successfully you can move on.  Lastly, you need to go into device manager to the rift sensors and turn off the radio button that says 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.  Do that for both of them and restart your computer.  You shouldn't have that error 31 crap pop up or affect anything again, but if you do replay to me and we will change more stuff.
    Wintermute
    edited July 2017
    "... set the permissions of the file to save it or windows will bitch"

Please forgive me for being a Win 10 numpty, but how would i change the permissions.  If it is the file in the \Windows\INF folder, the permissions appear to be very reluctant to be amended.

Edit: never mind, i figured it out thanks
    Wintermute
    edited July 2017
    Well, having had this problem reappear again, for a reason best known only to my PC, i applied the changes that you had suggested above.  I amended the usbhub3.inf file, in C:\Windows\INF, as you had suggested and managed to save that having eventually figured out how to amend the permissions.  I then went into device manager and disabled power management on my 2 Rift Sensors and on the Rift itself.

Upon reboot, the problem is still there, so unless i have edited the wrong file, it looks like more might need to be done.

edit: hmm, i've just unchecked the top box in the power management tab on the generic superspeed hub's subordinate USB devices and it looks like that might have done it.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2017
    @Greyman Good to know.  I know why it works, but it's hard to explain.  I'm glad you figured it out.  Edit: If you want you can delete load order group in the INF as it doesn't matter for this device.
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 372
    Trinity
    Greyman said:
    Well, having had this problem reappear again, for a reason best known only to my PC, i applied the changes that you had suggested above.  I amended the usbhub3.inf file, in C:\Windows\INF, as you had suggested and managed to save that having eventually figured out how to amend the permissions.  I then went into device manager and disabled power management on my 2 Rift Sensors and on the Rift itself.

Upon reboot, the problem is still there, so unless i have edited the wrong file, it looks like more might need to be done.

edit: hmm, i've just unchecked the top box in the power management tab on the generic superspeed hub's subordinate USB devices and it looks like that might have done it.
    Hey buddy.  Where do I find the power management tab on the generic superspeed hub's subordinate USB devices?  Thanks
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU [email protected] hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • tgphillytgphilly Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I've never heard so much bitching in my life about little problems. You're experiencing virtual reality in your HOUSE not hooked up to some super computer with tons of cables and shit gfx. C'mon. Snow, controller, boohoo. I had the same problem, but I fixed it instead of complaining.
    Wintermute
    e_m_d88 said:
    Greyman said:

Hey buddy.  Where do I find the power management tab on the generic superspeed hub's subordinate USB devices?  Thanks
    The 3 devices i am talking about are the ones immediately below the generic superspeed hub, all named as generic USB Hubs.  If you right click on those and select properties, you should see the final tab is Power Management.  On there, just clear the check boxes and click OK.

However, at least on the Generic Superspeed USB Hub, when it wasn't working, the Power Management tab couldn't be seen and i think, not certain, that the file edit suggested by @BlaineMiller is what corrected that.

Thanks to him, it looks like this irritating little problem has now gone away, hopefully permanently.
  • ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    tgphilly said:
    I've never heard so much bitching in my life about little problems. You're experiencing virtual reality in your HOUSE not hooked up to some super computer with tons of cables and shit gfx. C'mon. Snow, controller, boohoo. I had the same problem, but I fixed it instead of complaining.

A little unfair. The main posters here are trying as hard as they can to solve a real problem and doing it together.
    There are some fine points  made and fixes explained. An excellent use of the Forum and good reading for most of us.
    Much better than the babyish bullying rubbish by certain people who are most obvious by their  childish immature comments.
    One just wishes for a truly "Commercial" or is it "Consumer" version of the Rift.
    That alas seems a long way off. So while we wait we can certainly gain knowledge from the posters here who are actually digging into the tech side of the CV1 and it's associated software.

• Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6

@cybereality

If I may make a suggestion for future releases (a small bugfix if valid):

When my headset is in storage but the Oculus software is running (i.e. me browsing the store) and then I look into the settings/devices tab, I often see a warning about "poor tracking quality" for one of the sensors. The given reason is always the same: "Wireless sync timed out".

This warning is only shown in the devices tab. It does not create a notification.

However, as soon as I take the headset out of it's storage and it "wakes up", this warning disappears immediately. Always! So this is nothing to really worry about as this warning only appears and persists while the headset is idle / sleeping, thus cannot affect gameplay.

However:

If the software could detect that the headset is currently not in use / idle, is it still neccessary to keep wireless sync updated? ...which obviously doesnt work anyway, hence this warning. As soon as the headset comes to life, wireless sync is updated again and the warning dissapears.

Put the other way around:

If possible, please do not keep updating the wireless sync or at least do not warn about it being timed out, while the headset is idle.

Thanks! :-)

• GibStormGibStorm Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2017
    Seriously, what is going on with Oculus Home? The software doesn't seem to have any meaningful development going on. It's been almost a month without a new update, even for the public test channel. During the year I've had my Rift, I haven't seen much change in the form of new functionality that the average user can actually find useful. SteamVR on the other hand, has changed drastically. You guys need to step up your game.

I have no voice control, no refund options, no way to install games on multiple drives, no built-in settings for controlling supersampling, no user downloadable environments, can't walk around in the Home environment, and a friends list I can't use for anything anyway.

SteamVR has most, if not all of these things. In addition to all that, we have all the stupid USB problems and limitations. I'm starting to feel like I got on the wrong boat.
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    You do know you have the option to use Steam Home as well?
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Pabbert said:
    You do know you have the option to use Steam Home as well?
    I don't think that's the point. We purchased Oculus & would expect them to be developing a decent base software without using 3rd parties.