cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So far the worst $500 I've ever spent.

Eibon76
Explorer
MSI laptop, Windows 10 64 bit, GTX 1050Ti graphics, 16GB memory

Downloaded the software and started to install.  Was told that even though the HDMI cable was connected, to use a different port for best results.   My laptop has 1 HDMI port, no more.

Continued to install.  XBox controller would not sync no matter how many times I tried, put in new batteries, etc.  Hopeless.  Finally decided to skip the damn controller and continue.

Finished installing and connecting everything.  And guess what?  Audio, but no video at all in the glasses.

Sending this back tomorrow.   Can't understand why they sell a "consumer" version if it doesn't work so frequently.  For $500 I expect a hassle-free fun experience, not the headache I have now.

104 REPLIES 104

Wildt
Consultant
OP is prolly Atmos having a laugh...
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

vannagirl
Consultant

Wildt said:

OP is prolly Atmos having a laugh...

Hahaha
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Eibon76
Explorer
@BoxDroppingManApe

Right... that's why these forums all filled with problems.  Particularly laptop HDMI ports not working. 

@kojack

MSI GL62M 7REX

@elboffor

I would label it an "Oculus problem" if their own compatibility software tells me it will work on this computer.

@Choronzon

Thanks for the link.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Its an MSI problem man I went through the same crap with mine.
The Hdmi port is located on the motherboard and not one of the video cards like the VR headsets want.

The laptops have the power for sure but they leave out the part where you need to use a hdmi to mini display port adapter.
WAAAGH!

kojack
MVP
MVP
According to https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GL62M-7RD-077-Notebook-Review.196152.0.html the GL62M uses Nvidia Optimus. This is a battery saving technology that is incompatible with VR. It's the major reason why VR fails on laptops (it makes the hdmi port attach to the crap intel gpu instead of the nvidia gpu, every frame has to be copied from one gpu to the other and framerates are hard locked to 60Hz instead of the 90Hz we need for the rift).

Apparently the GT series from MSI have a physical switch to disable optimus (you can't do it by software), but the other series don't. I've only read a single second hand report of it existing though.

Looking at the MSI website, the GL62M is not listed as VR ready. It's only models from the GT, GS and GE lines that have VR ready listed.
Even then, be careful, it seems MSI are a bit lazy with their VR certification.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

elboffor
Consultant

@elboffor

I would label it an "Oculus problem" if their own compatibility software tells me it will work on this 

Which it will, but because you bought a shit laptop instead of a proper machine you have some hoops to jump through first.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

AQfumes
Adventurer
Have you been able to look in the Nvidia control panel to see if your programs are check to run with the 1050 gpu and not the Internal gpu? Sometimes the settings are automatically checked to run with the Internal gpu and you have to manually change it. This was the case in my experience with the MSI laptop I own. Also some of those game crashes may indicate you need to update your 1050 gpu drivers. 

If you want to give it a shot, here's a quick run-down of what to look for:

In the Nvidia control panel select Manage 3d Settings in the sub-menu of 3d settings. Go to Program Settings and un-check the box that says 'Show only programs found on this computer'. Click the add button and this opens a window with recently used programs. 
Start by clicking the Oculus program exe. For each program select your graphics card in the drop-down menu for preferred graphics card, make sure it's not set to INTEGRATED graphics.

Do this for all programs in the list then press save and reset the laptop.

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege

Eibon76 said:

@BoxDroppingManApe

Right... that's why these forums all filled with problems.  Particularly laptop HDMI ports not working. 

Right... "filled".

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
At least a half a million people are happy with their Rift. A unhappy customer trying to use it on a low end niche laptop doesn't exactly represent the masses OP, sorry :neutral:

Eibon76
Explorer
Bought this and am trying it now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRK2ZIK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also followed @AQfumes advice.

Nothing.  No video in the headset, the programs (Google Earth VR, bigscreen) either crash or don't even start.

This junk is going back. 

And yes, I know it's all my fault because I bought a laptop that meets the minimum specs and the Oculus compatibility tool said the computer would work.