New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Has anyone heard voices in the headset, while not in-game?

AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 133
Art3mis
This may be a silly question, but has anyone heard people speaking in the Rift headset, while in the set-up page? I've actually had this happen a couple times in the past but didn't really think much of it and moved on. 

I read a similar topic on reddit a couple months ago where another user had experienced this also, but I can't seem to find that page now. Commenter's didn't seem to know what the OP was speaking of and I never commented on my experience. I only bring it up now cause I had it happen again this evening, while re-calibrating my sensors. 

It's the same voices I hear each time of a girl laughing and a man saying something that gets cut-off. This has happen on 3 separate hard-drives that I re-installed Win10 on throughout the year. I figured it can't be anything on my computer interfering. Each time I do a re-install, I get rid of programs and the newly formatted drive does not consist of the same files or software. 

Well I managed to get a video screen capture of it this time, and I'll post it here shortly. I just thought I'd check if anyone may have experienced something similar? It's a silly topic, I know. It's something I've been curious about though, since I've had the Rift for over a year now. 

Best Answer

Answers

• AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 133
    Art3mis

It's at the beginning of the video and again at 0:25. The voice was looped. 
  • FuzzydragonFuzzydragon Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    yep I heard this the other day if you run it backwards it says.......things.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    It's actually a subliminal message planted in the Oculus system on order from Facebook.  If you listen closely, you can make out the message itself... "Zuckerberg for President, 2020"  :hushed:

(Explains a lot, don't it?)
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,687 Valuable Player
    I just wanted to stay at home and cover myself with babyoil...... maybe that was just the voices again.
    WAAAGH!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,125 Volunteer Moderator
    I used to occasionally hear somebody knocking on the wall of my bedroom. There's a window with venetian blinds on the wall, I'd open the blinds and look out, nobody in site. I'd go outside, there was nobody around.

This went on for months. It didn't happen often, but at least once a week I'd hear it.

I finally solved the mystery. It was the ICQ chat program's notification that somebody I knew had come online. It was playing on my sub woofer under my pc desk up against the wall. I just didn't have many people in ICQ and they didn't go online often.

• EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,353 Valuable Player
    It's quite obvious what's happening here.

Aliens.

The truth is out there.

Trust no one.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Working as we intended.  Carry on.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,311 Valuable Player
    Are your voices saying 'kill them, Kill them all' or is that just me.
    Art3mis
    Lol you guys are a hoot! I can only blame myself for this.  :s
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    I've been hearing voices for long before I got my HMD :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,176 Valuable Player
    No voices, but sometimes... I see dead people...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    dburne said:
    I see dead people, but they don't lay down.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    dburne said:
    I see dumb people.

Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dumb.

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • zork2001zork2001 Posts: 558
    Trinity
    you here that when you are on the adjust sensor setup screen. 
    Trinity
    they should but in some creepy woman's voice just whispering in your ear for a few seconds maybe 1 out of a 1000 times when you go into the Oculus menu just to freak people out.
    Trinity
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited July 2017
    As funny as all the meme posts are. This looks like you have some kind of trojan which is spam-clicking some kind of youtube video for views/adsense money.

Since you have re-installed multiple times, it could be a root-kit virus which has embedded itself in the MBR of your HDD.

It could also have hacked your modem's DNS to force you to redownload the virus when you connect to the internet.

Those are the 2 reasons I can think of that would get a virus/trojan past a reformat/reinstall of windows.
    Art3mis
    @KillCard I believe you may be right, even though I have switch HDD's and modems/IP services twice in the last year. The same loop has happened on both set-ups. I will admit, I have a couple pirated music programs I always re-install on my computers but these programs came out around 2006 and they're the only music programs I like to use. If it is a trojan, which I agree it may be, I'm wondering why it only triggers the loop during the Oculus configure program on certain occasions? 

In the end, it's more than likely malware/trojan related. It had peeked my interest again, when I read someone else had experience it too. I can't find that topic on Reddit now. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond with a serious comment on the subject. As for everyone else - no love lost. Y'all are hilarious and I should have known better on what I was getting myself into. :p  

Wintermute
    edited July 2017
    AQfumes said:
    @KillCard I believe you may be right, even though I have switch HDD's and modems/IP services twice in the last year. The same loop has happened on both set-ups. I will admit, I have a couple pirated music programs I always re-install on my computers but these programs came out around 2006 and they're the only music programs I like to use. If it is a trojan, which I agree it may be, I'm wondering why it only triggers the loop during the Oculus configure program on certain occasions? 

In the end, it's more than likely malware/trojan related. It had peeked my interest again, when I read someone else had experience it too. I can't find that topic on Reddit now. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond with a serious comment on the subject. As for everyone else - no love lost. Y'all are hilarious and I should have known better on what I was getting myself into. :p  

I have definitely encountered it before myself. Although when I had it, it wasnt a root-kit or a modem hack. A simple run of malwarebytes removed it.

That said, hackers can get creative and you never know when you get hit by a really nasty one.

As for why specifically when you run Oculus setup? .. not sure. It might be a coincedence that you run it specifically when its pinging, or maybe running it triggers some specific circumstances which make the trojan work such as a certain level of processing usage or something. Who knows.
    Art3mis
    zork2001 said:
    you here that when you are on the adjust sensor setup screen. 
    Yes, just on that screen and only occasionally. That video you posted was creepy as hell. It's going to take me a while to put my headset back on now. 
  • HeVeNyHeVeNy Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    AQfumes said:

It's at the beginning of the video and again at 0:25. The voice was looped. 
    I have this happening also. For the longest time I was wondering if I'm hearing things but yeah, that short sound comes to my speakers also in the setup O_O
  • ItchyNutzItchyNutz Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I get it also. Didn't think it was a virus or anything like that. I assumed it was a big with the setup video. Should I be worried?
    Wintermute
    edited July 2017
    Hmm .. to be fair when I said I had encountered it, I wasnt talking about with Oculus setup. I just meant a regular virus, this was way back before I even had VR. The symptoms are almost identical though.

I have not noticed it myself when doing setup with Oculus.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,353 Valuable Player
    I've said this on here before and I'll say it again. You all need to get a DECENT anti-virus and firewall for your PCs rather than crappy free ones or relying on Windows Defender. I recommend ESET Smart Security, it's the best out there at the moment and has been for quite some time.

You also need to keep your Windows OS up to date too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Trinity
    I never have any luck with Antivirus it always ends up causing way more problems than they ever solve, with it taking too much system resources denying me on things that I know are fine. Just browsing the internet you can still get annoying popups that get through from none https sites but as long as you don’t install anything you are not 100% sure of I have always been fine.