Oculus Rift + Touch now $399 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift + Touch now $399

whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
Trinity
Just saw a post over at reddit  https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6mczil/rift_touch_399_for_a_limited_time_summer_of_rifts/

For a limited time Oculus Rift and Touch will be $399.  Hopefully this will help a lot of people make the jump into VR.  :D
CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
Tagged:

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    woah thats a crazy good deal! Hopefully this will increase the player base by quite a lot!

@Shadowmask72 I don' think we're doomed anymore?!  :p
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    FrozenPea said:
    woah thats a crazy good deal! Hopefully this will increase the player base by quite a lot!

Zing!!! :p
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6

LOL!

Guess, eventually we arrived in Palmers "ballpark", huh?! ;-)

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,007 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    whilst i never anticipated the price to come down so soon, i cant say i regret paying almost £750 for my set up. it has gotten a lot of use in the last 12 months... but at this price everyone needs to either get one or shut the frak up moaning that VR is too expensive.

look what you get in that bundle, inc software as well as the control pad.  IF this deal is still to expensive for anyone, that is fine, but they just look silly, and tight, if they complain that it is still too expensive  and must come down more or they are being ripped off.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    The bad thing about this is when you want to sell your rift the value has decreased a lot....
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    FrozenPea said:

With the DAS released, Knuckles, FO4, Doom, Heart of Emberstone and Valve going all in over the next 3 months not forgetting the LG and new base stations I'm not suprised Oculus are fighting on price right now.

Oculus's USP is price.

DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
    @EliteSPA All the experiences I've had with it for over the last year was worth every penny imo
    Project 2501
    Maybe they want to sell all the stock cause new CV2 is coming soon  :p
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    edited July 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    FrozenPea said:

With the DAS released, Knuckles, FO4, Doom, Heart of Emberstone and Valve going all in over the next 3 months not forgetting the LG and new base stations I'm not suprised Oculus are fighting on price right now.

Oculus's USP is price.

unless you are suggesting the rift is getting locked out from non oculus software then aside from knuckles i expect rifters will get the above software too... and as for knuckles...

its funny how when  vive had was the wands and all  the rift had was an xbox pad oculus tried to push that full room vr with tracked controls there was no rush for.

then oculus gets touch with almost everyone agrees is superior to the wands then it is advantage oculus in that dept but vive users insist that the wands are fine and do not need to be replaced.

then all of a sudden the vive is getting controlers which may raise the bar again, and now it IS a big deal to have hand wrapped controllers after all.

:smiley: gotta love fanboys (not aimed at anyone specifically) and marketing, who change opinions like the tides of the sea

knuckles looks good but i really dislike the steampad track pad. For me the MS VR controllers look the ones to beat - albeit that has line of sight limitations .

IMO the rift competes more than on just price..... it has a slightly inferior (more of a pain to set up) tracking, but has superior erganomics and right now a better motion control system  (the fact there is a £100 deluxe head set and replacement controllers indicate even the designers know this) AND is far cheaper
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    I think you may have a point atmos, it most likely is tactical to get the userbase up and differentiate between cv1 and vive 2
    I hope the rift 2 us still over a year away myself as i dont see the need for small incrimental changes as its already pretty dam good and would be bad in the long run if we start having a new release war.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Atmos73 said:
    FrozenPea said:

Oculus's USP is price.

Well all the software will be accessible for rift users so that doesn't make any difference. 

The main competition here is the hardware price, the Rift + Touch is $400, if you want a comparable experience with Vive you will also need to purchase the Deluxe Strap + Knuckles, that is $800 + $100 ... lets price the Knuckles cheap at $100 for argument sake, thats $600 more expensive right now.

At $400 with tons of free games and apps is hard to compete with for Vive. In the end Value are happy as long as you are using their store as both companies know the money isn't in the hardware.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    EliteSPA said:
    Maybe they want to sell all the stock cause new CV2 is coming soon  :p
    That crossed my mind also but is highly unlikely.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited July 2017
    given oculus officially said this is NOT happening, i do not think they would be so dishonest.....

i actually hope they dont release any new bits for it either... actually let me elaborate...

wireless tracking would be cool, (i would not bother) or a new mounting system (again i would not bother)

but these things are fine as optional extras as they do not affect anyone wether you have it or not.

but imo the 1 thing HTC arguably got right at the start and oculus didnt was by delivering a complete system.

that way devs knew EXACTLY what hardware to build their game for in the vive.
    on the rift its not quite so simple - some rifters have touch, some do not.

imo with the new knuckles they are creating the problem that oculus created for themselves on launch that the vive sidestepped...... now devs will have to cater for 2 different builds, one with knuckles and one without.

TLDR
    i do not see CV2 coming for another year at least and i HOPE we do not see any new controllers, even if knuckles do have an edge over touch they should leave the improvements for the next gen.
  • aldhoraldhor Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    In my case I buy Oculus on Wednesday and it does not arrive until tomorrow.
    Seeing the offer today I sent an email to ask for the return of the package without opening. I hope they do not make me return the package and ask for it again... because in that case I would think about it.

I don't think it is very ethical to send a package on Friday knowing that the next business day the price will drop 259 € and also with 7 games instead of only one.
    This says very little about the interest in customer satisfaction. It seems that you want to make money and not loyal people
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,600 Valuable Player
    Wow, what an incredible price! Almost tempted to pick up a second unit just to have it. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    aldhor said:
    Seeing the offer today I sent an email to ask for the return of the package without opening. I hope they do not make me return the package and ask for it again... because in that case I would think about it.

I don't think it is very ethical to send a package on Friday knowing that the next business day the price will drop 259 € and also with 7 games instead of only one.
    This says very little about the interest in customer satisfaction. It seems that you want to make money and not loyal people
    It's likely if you speak to support about this (without coming across like an entitled knobhead) they will refund you the difference and add the 7 games.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • aldhoraldhor Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    aldhor said:

It's likely if you speak to support about this (without coming across like an entitled knobhead) they will refund you the difference and add the 7 games.
    Yeah, I did it. I'm waiting response.
    And obviously I asked for it with all my education without value judgments.
    Here, as it is a forum I simply bring what I think they have done wrong.
    I did not expect to offend anyone

Regards,
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,600 Valuable Player
    It does cause me to raise an eyebrow so to speak, wonder what the main motivation of Oculus to drop this price by this much - even if just for limited time - so soon after the previous price drop...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Project 2501
    edited July 2017
    Santa Cruz. Standalone VR is soon to be a consumer reality.
    EliteSPA said:
    Maybe.. but standalone is more of a "3rd" product rather than a replacement imo.  unless it can accept a feed from my PC i would expect this to be closer to a gear VR experience than an oculus rift / vive PC based VR experience.

depending on the cost of it, i question the point of releasing such a device when gearVR ticks those boxes afaik.

OTOH if it came with a wireless brick like the vive is getting to hook up to a pc,................................
    Project 2501
    edited July 2017
    EliteSPA said:
    Maybe.. but standalone is more of a "3rd" product rather than a replacement imo.  unless it can accept a feed from my PC i would expect this to be closer to a gear VR experience than an oculus rift / vive PC based VR experience.

depending on the cost of it, i question the point of releasing such a device when gearVR ticks those boxes afaik.

OTOH if it came with a wireless brick like the vive is getting to hook up to a pc,................................
    Maybe you should take a look into this: https://uploadvr.com/samsung-reveals-4k-exynosvr/

4K @ 75 FPS or UQHD with 90 FPS. 
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    If its a temp price it will backfire, once you drop like that then that is the perceived value going forward and people will just wait for the price to drop again.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,727 Volunteer Moderator
    Wow, amazing deal. Word is that this low price will be offered for 6 weeks, so if you're on the fence, now's the time to dive in!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,727 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2017
    aldhor said:
    ... and also with 7 games instead of only one.
    Just FYI, the free games haven't changed--those 7 games (and more) have always been free for all Rift owners.

Edit: 4 of those games are free with Touch, the others are free for all, but some require Touch.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    edited July 2017
    Percy1983 said:
    If its a temp price it will backfire, once you drop like that then that is the perceived value going forward and people will just wait for the price to drop again.
    i see your point and mostly agree.
    due to this offer i fully expect an official price cut sooner rather than later (possibly streamlined, with touch bundled and the xbox pad removed and maybe the free games package reduced).

now that the touch can function as an xbox pad (i have not tried it myself) is there a need for the xbox pads inclusion any more IF the touch bundle was the standard pack?

----------------------

tinfoil hat time... there is another possibility i suppose. i dont buy it myself and have not even seen it speculated so its just shooting the breeze.

but hypothetically, if oculus thought there was a chance zenimax would be able to stop oculus selling their hmds (is that case still on going?) they may want to get rid of their surplus stock in advance just in case?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,380 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm hovering over the purchase button. A spare ? Or sell it for 600 quid when the price climbs again ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

dburne said:
    It does cause me to raise an eyebrow so to speak, wonder what the main motivation of Oculus to drop this price by this much - even if just for limited time - so soon after the previous price drop...
    I honestly think they just want to keep increasing the user base as much as possible, I don't think there is any secret reason like a CV2 etc :)
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    Great price for new comers!

but I don't regret my decision to buy at the normal price even a little bit. I can never wait this long...