cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Real Reason Behind the Oculus Summer Promotion Price Cut?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The Oculus Summer promotion came as a surprise for many, but reading between the lines what is a real  reason for this action right now? Is there something else going on behind the scenes? Speculation and conspiracy theories welcome.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
130 REPLIES 130

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer

kevinw729 said:

I just wonder if this temporary price drop could have been headlined and promoted better, rather than allowing the negative press to accompany what is a really impressive price drop. Managing the message would help when the price springs back to the normal amount in a short period of time!

You make a good point here. The fact that they didn't come out ahead of the price drop with some promotional material - hell even a commercial - is sort of silly. 

Having to tell people about the sale instead of the reverse is a slight bit disconcerting.

It does make it look more like a move of desperation than one of confidence, although I suspect it's actually the latter. 

If OVR doesn't add the spin then you can be certain that someone else will!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vannagirl
Consultant
i kind of agree but social networking is where its at for moving messages and i have also seen the message spread all over gaming sites since yesterday

i do not watch tv though as such so unsure if they are or not, but i wonder how much that costs vs the message
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Oculus released this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lykyW3NJ-2E

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

BoxDroppingManA
Expert Protege

Other: "So Shadowmask72 will go into a panic over whether the sky is falling."

nalex66
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

To sell more units.

It seems to be working. Reddit is full of posts from new users getting going with the Rift, freaking out about how long shipping will take, and trying to find stock as Amazon and Best Buy sell out their inventory. We're also seeing a higher volume of "My order got cancelled" threads here than we've had since the pre-order days.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

dburne said:

To sell more units.

It seems to be working. Reddit is full of posts from new users getting going with the Rift, freaking out about how long shipping will take, and trying to find stock as Amazon and Best Buy sell out their inventory. We're also seeing a higher volume of "My order got cancelled" threads here than we've had since the pre-order days.

Yeah I have been spreading the word on a couple of the flight sim forums I frequent, I know some of them have taken advantage of this as well.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

how were the motion controllers? my understanding is the HMD needs to be able to "see" the controllers at all times to track. was this an issue?

Ocularity is one of the issues I was alluding too.
I do not want to be too harsh on them as I was not sure of the production state
of the system presented. There is also an issue with performance on certain
rigs - but again not sure if that is the infamous Win10VR problem or something
else. I see a lot of people riding Daydream hard for the same failing, but at
least they have the mobileVR excuse.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Rudolphus_
Honored Guest
I think this prise cut can also mean that Acer and LG and other brands will opt for a slightly better screen end of the year but not much and in 2019 they will come with better hardware

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Sharpfish said:

Nice ergonomics and pricing though (better than rift or vive on ergo - sold my vive mainly due to bad ergonomics but not only that but pricing too). Also not sure on who they are pushing it to, it seems very 'middle ground' focussed, not gamer focussed. I'm sure the next wave of MS stuff will be great though (GEN 2) but cost more.

I was surprised by MS’s plans – looking at a joined-up AR / VR approach with their Mixed Reality brand focus. Seeing the Hololens working in unison with a VR headset offered a level of social engagement in a synthetic environment that no other platform had achieved (no matter my misgivings over HL). I was surprise how many OVR employees had jumped to join the Redmond campus – lot of interesting behind the scene stories floating around about their time at Oculus, and why they jumped.

Regarding the HTC complacency comment – I think that is a little harsh, just because they cannot drop their price for a two-week promotion is not the same as the complacency that can be adequality laid at the feet of Valve. I think HTC have focused on a long-term view, showing their focus on untethered as the next production run, while we have to wait for OVR to throw any bones at OC4.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Other: "So Shadowmask72 will go into a panic over whether the sky is falling."

Or rather Cybereality decided not to send Mark (Zenbane) to the naughty corner again (so we could resume awesome discussions in his absence)  and the fact he's been behaving not to get himself moved there, what's left  to talk about here aside from being all gooey over a sale which most of us already have the item that's on sale anyway? :smirk: