cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first real attempt at drawing

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
I've had medium for a few months and have messed around with it but tonight I gave a real attempt at drawing. I had started with the intent of drawing a younger woman but ended up as an old lady lol. 
ugfjm638kiec.png
21 REPLIES 21

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
@vannagirl learning new things can be frustrating but at the same time with each new thing learned it makes it more enjoyable. I guess for me when I first started using medium I was so overwhelmed with all that could be done I had already told myself I would be complete failure at drawing in 3D so why bother learning.. but now I'm seeing it's not as hard as I thought, just requires some new learning that isn't brain science.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

madamluck said:

@nalex66 you can make things look shiny!? Oh man I have sooo much to learn lol but. I have at least figured out layers so that a good start

When you're in the Layers menu, select the layer you want to change, then hit the Settings button on your dominant hand. In the pop-up menu that appears, hit the gear icon to get into the Layer materials menu. you can choose between Default, Metal, and Emissive (glowing), and you can adjust the Roughness or Specular setting to change how shiny the layer is.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
@nalex66 thank you! I very much appreciate the help. I never thought I'd say this but I'm looking forward to starting up medium again later lol

MattHickman
Rising Star
As the other folks have said this is a great start. This forum has turned into a pretty remarkable spot for help, guidance and encouragement.

We definitely realize that breaking through those first few barriers is really tough. Hell, most of our team are former game developers so teaching art tools is new to us too. We've done lots of experiments with how to encourage and teach and such. Like, you start not knowing what to make, or how to make it. We want to at least break down that second barrier. We're experimenting with different types of tutorials, like super short videos, longer form technique stuff, a better manual and more artist spotlights. 

If you haven't checked them out we post all the videos to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/oculusmedium

And I really hope you stick with it, keep posting what you make, and please let us know what we can do to help you keep going.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

madamluck said:

@vannagirl learning new things can be frustrating but at the same time with each new thing learned it makes it more enjoyable. I guess for me when I first started using medium I was so overwhelmed with all that could be done I had already told myself I would be complete failure at drawing in 3D so why bother learning.. but now I'm seeing it's not as hard as I thought, just requires some new learning that isn't brain science.

A guy I'm subbed to on YT posted this motivational vid the other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwkpLSGy7Q
Sorta sums up anything I have to say on sucking to begin with. Personally I've gone from sucking pretty hard to random people on the internet saying really nice stuff about my work in the space of about 7 months but that's been down to a commitment of sculpting for at least an hour (usually more) pretty much every day. I'm a firm believer that anyone can become as good at sculpting as they want to be if they put in the legwork.

By my calculations I'll be as good as I want to be by about 2249 but I have set myself a pretty high bar.  😄

Stick around, like @MattHickman said - this forum is a hotbed of pro's giving encouragement and tips and noobs flailing around getting better with every passing sculpt and all points in between. 

vannagirl
Consultant
@madamluck

well this forum seems to have a really awesome helpful medium community so i am sure they will help you grow
into sculpting vr 🙂

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Great first start! It's eons beyond my first attempt, which essentially looked like this:

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
So here's a second attempt.. I struggled on what to draw but in the end went with a troll . Forgot about making the eyes shiny but I'll at it again!! 

I used the stamps for the ears but i couldn't line them up how I wanted. Kept stamping on backwards and in directions I wasn't after. Got extremely annoying lol.

its no masterpiece but it's an improvement on my other attempt.

and thank you all for your help! ❤️
mul8zgoxo1oc.png

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
Oh and for some reason I like the surprised look even though I try not to make it like that lol 

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
Ok last one... sorry for the spam 

Didn't look bad before merging but then kinda went wonky after merging . ot6k5mqbfp3e.png