New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My first real attempt at drawing

madamluckmadamluck Posts: 141
Art3mis
I've had medium for a few months and have messed around with it but tonight I gave a real attempt at drawing. I had started with the intent of drawing a younger woman but ended up as an old lady lol. 

Comments

• madamluckmadamluck Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    And can I add that I seriously suck at drawing in vr lol... the work I've seen on here is so insanely good! 
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,709 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    You're off to a good start! Might want to try using separate layers for the eyes and hair. Especially the eyes, that makes it much easier to get the eyelids and sockets  sculpted around them. 

And don't worry about sucking. Pretty much everybody sucks at first. The trick is to double down and keep sucking and eventually it'll pass. On the plus side, your anatomy totally doesn't suck so you got that one in the bank from the git go
    Art3mis
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    You're off to a good start! Might want to try using separate layers for the eyes and hair. Especially the eyes, that makes it much easier to get the eyelids and sockets  sculpted around them.
    lol I have so much to learn. I struggled with the eyes so bad ! I'm not one for computer drawing so the whole layers thing never even came to mind! But thank you for that tip! Definitely will try that out 
    I was the same. First thing I made had painted on eyes too. There's a lot to take in at the start. Compared to other packages Medium seems really basic at first but it's deceptively powerful. Takes a while to grow into
    Art3mis
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    I was the same. First thing I made had painted on eyes too. There's a lot to take in at the start. Compared to other packages Medium seems really basic at first but it's deceptively powerful. Takes a while to grow into
    I got back on it to see if I could figure out the layers... omg! Sooo much easier! Lol so again thank you so much for that. I have many questions on how to do things so I see a lot of watching tutorials on YouTube in my near future lol
    I'm currently running a promo - if you subscribe to my YouTube channel you get 7 years good luck absolutely free
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,041 Volunteer Moderator
    madamluck said:
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    I got back on it to see if I could figure out the layers... omg! Sooo much easier! Lol so again thank you so much for that. I have many questions on how to do things so I see a lot of watching tutorials on YouTube in my near future lol
    The nice thing about using different layers is that you can tweak the materials, so the eyes can be shinier, for instance. It also makes it easy to move parts of your sculpt around without messing up what you've already done.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    Pfft

The creating and having a go is half of it

I like old suprised grandma 
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Art3mis
    @nalex66 you can make things look shiny!? Oh man I have sooo much to learn lol but. I have at least figured out layers so that a good start
    Art3mis
    @vannagirl learning new things can be frustrating but at the same time with each new thing learned it makes it more enjoyable. I guess for me when I first started using medium I was so overwhelmed with all that could be done I had already told myself I would be complete failure at drawing in 3D so why bother learning.. but now I'm seeing it's not as hard as I thought, just requires some new learning that isn't brain science.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,041 Volunteer Moderator
    madamluck said:
    @nalex66 you can make things look shiny!? Oh man I have sooo much to learn lol but. I have at least figured out layers so that a good start
    When you're in the Layers menu, select the layer you want to change, then hit the Settings button on your dominant hand. In the pop-up menu that appears, hit the gear icon to get into the Layer materials menu. you can choose between Default, Metal, and Emissive (glowing), and you can adjust the Roughness or Specular setting to change how shiny the layer is.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Art3mis
    @nalex66 thank you! I very much appreciate the help. I never thought I'd say this but I'm looking forward to starting up medium again later lol
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    As the other folks have said this is a great start. This forum has turned into a pretty remarkable spot for help, guidance and encouragement.

We definitely realize that breaking through those first few barriers is really tough. Hell, most of our team are former game developers so teaching art tools is new to us too. We've done lots of experiments with how to encourage and teach and such. Like, you start not knowing what to make, or how to make it. We want to at least break down that second barrier. We're experimenting with different types of tutorials, like super short videos, longer form technique stuff, a better manual and more artist spotlights. 

If you haven't checked them out we post all the videos to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/oculusmedium

And I really hope you stick with it, keep posting what you make, and please let us know what we can do to help you keep going.
    madamluck said:
    @vannagirl learning new things can be frustrating but at the same time with each new thing learned it makes it more enjoyable. I guess for me when I first started using medium I was so overwhelmed with all that could be done I had already told myself I would be complete failure at drawing in 3D so why bother learning.. but now I'm seeing it's not as hard as I thought, just requires some new learning that isn't brain science.
    A guy I'm subbed to on YT posted this motivational vid the other day.

Sorta sums up anything I have to say on sucking to begin with. Personally I've gone from sucking pretty hard to random people on the internet saying really nice stuff about my work in the space of about 7 months but that's been down to a commitment of sculpting for at least an hour (usually more) pretty much every day. I'm a firm believer that anyone can become as good at sculpting as they want to be if they put in the legwork.

By my calculations I'll be as good as I want to be by about 2249 but I have set myself a pretty high bar.  :D

Stick around, like @MattHickman said - this forum is a hotbed of pro's giving encouragement and tips and noobs flailing around getting better with every passing sculpt and all points in between. 
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    @madamluck

well this forum seems to have a really awesome helpful medium community so i am sure they will help you grow
    into sculpting vr :)

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,626 Valuable Player
    Great first start! It's eons beyond my first attempt, which essentially looked like this:

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Art3mis
    So here's a second attempt.. I struggled on what to draw but in the end went with a troll . Forgot about making the eyes shiny but I'll at it again!! 

I used the stamps for the ears but i couldn't line them up how I wanted. Kept stamping on backwards and in directions I wasn't after. Got extremely annoying lol.

its no masterpiece but it's an improvement on my other attempt.

and thank you all for your help! ❤️

Art3mis
    Oh and for some reason I like the surprised look even though I try not to make it like that lol 
    Art3mis
    Ok last one... sorry for the spam 

Didn't look bad before merging but then kinda went wonky after merging . 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,626 Valuable Player
    madamluck said:
    Ok last one... sorry for the spam 

Didn't look bad before merging but then kinda went wonky after merging . 
    I like it. Reminds me of how consumers looked when the Rift dropped its price to $399
    :)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Art3mis
    Lol @Zenbane .... all the angry prickly posts inspired me and I didn't even realize  till just now lol