cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucid Dreams side effect

SUPERSONICSTATION
Honored Guest
After using Oculus Rift for 2 weeks I can remember all my dreams and take control of them. I never remembered my dreams before and if so they were in small chunks, but after using Oculus Rift VR each dream seems like a week and I can remember every detail. Not only that I can control my dreams from crashing, flight, teleporation and other weird things that carry from one dream to the next night's dream such as abilities of moving cars etc with just my hands. I can be aware of when I am in the state of going in a dream and can still hear what's going on in the world. This prob all sounds crazy but I've just never experienced anything like this. It's like it opened a window of some sorts in my brain. Would love to see if anyone out there is also having Lucid Dreams. My only other side effect was a nosebleed on my first use.
21 REPLIES 21

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think you might be turning into some type of SuperHero. Yes, it got me dreaming a bit more when I think about it now. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yeah, vivid dreams and lucid dreaming have been somewhat common side effects when people first start using VR. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
You probably just dosed off with the headset on and then woke up and thought you were dreaming.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
I try to have lucid dreams for like a month now. Never had one.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I've had dreams where, in the middle of them, I knew I was dreaming. I could sense myself in the dream and in bed, and if the dream was good I would try my best not to wake up. If the dream was bad (nightmare) I would take control to help reduce the fear.

I haven't always been able to do it, but it happens a few times a year since a very young age.

When I first started using my Rift in April of 2016, I definitely had some really crazy experiences during my sleep. I even had whacky experiences while awake. After a few months though, the brain acclimates and things return to normal.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
The most I've had transfer to my dreams is the sound of the cars roaring engine.

Luciferous
Consultant
I have prepared two stories for you 🙂 I heartily recommend you skip my rambling long story and go to the short story.

-- Long story
I might have posted this before but I having been lucid dreaming since about 12 and that's a long time 🙂 . I had a nightmare where I would sit at the top of my stairs and a werewolf with burning red eyes would slowly crawl up to me one step at a time. I would always wake myself before it reached me.

This went on for some time until one day I forced myself to stand, telling myself it was not real, I walked down to him and he dissipated. This left me jubilant that I had broken the cycle but even more incredulous that now, here I stood fully lucid in my house in a dream. I explored, picking up and examining familiar objects and marveling at just how real it was.

Since then I am lucid about 50 percent of the time. The most fasinating thing is the way you as a conscious person splits into two independently thinking entities.

One entity has an agenda, it is trying to heal you, repair your mind and set things in order. The you which i think we perceive on a daily basis as being our core soul, is led around like a child from scenario to scenario. When you become an accomplished lucid dreamer it leaves you free to study this other self, its motives and methods. Even communicate with it directly via NPC dream characters. 

Its very clever in what it does as it has the main control over your memories. Of course it needs this to be able to convince you of what you are seeing is real.  For example it may give you a job, family, girlfriend you never had.
How does it know how to do this, the conscious me has not been taught by lesson or example. So that only leaves the possibility of an inbuilt diagnostic system in there since birth. How the hell did evolution produce something like that, it is just absolutely mind boggling.   

I have gained quite a bit of control over my dreams but never seem to be able to control the location and scenarios. This function must still be held by my other self. I can manipulate it once there:

Flying
Telekensis
repairing things but touching them (it is almost like a rewind time feature)
passing through walls, strange sucking feeling all over 😉
I can create objects or change them
I have stopped rain in mid pour, froze huge tidal waves.

The thing I wonder though is, am I really in control or is my other self letting me take control because I need it.

Word of warning though, lucid dreaming can be unhealthy.

Example: One tool in your other self's box is confrontation:

1. You are worried about something.
2. It confronts you with it
3. You survive it (unless you wake up before hand)
4. It wipes your memory
5. You feel better

Often it will produce my dad in full technicolor in front of me (he died in 2006). If I was was a non lucid dreamer I would hug him, talk to him believe it is real, my memory is wiped and I feel better. Being a lucid dreamer I know he is not real, still hug him and talk to him but know it is not him and this makes me feel worse and leaves me with a greater longing.

The other self has a job to do, if you screw with it, it may screw with you.

My current goal is to directly talk to my other self. It knows primordial things and I want to ask it about its programming and purpose. So far it does not seem to communicate like two people would. It seems to be more instinctive, animal then logical.

--Short Story
Since using the Rift I have found I have started borrowing powers from VR games. Like medium where I have been using the tools to create people in my dreams who then just walk off after finishing them. I think the feeling when being in VR is so close to lucid dreaming, you are almost training your brain to be lucid whilst playing VR games and maybe this has triggered your awareness of being in a dream and allowed you to remain lucid whilst in one.

elboffor
Consultant
And there was me thinking this was another pron thread.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
come to think of it, I have been remembering my dreams more recently... but then I've also recently stopped my excessive drinking... will see if I get dream control powers though... that sounds cool 🙂