cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is VR popular with women?

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
im very curious about this because when I am in a multi player game like echo arena and therecroom I only ever see men/ boys. I have yet to meet another woman is echo and I've only ever seen not even a handle in the rec room. And I have also noticed from reading forms the majority are men. I can't tell you how many times Ive read posts about how I bought a rift without my wife knowing, she's going to kill me but I never see woman saying that about their husband/ partner lol. I know women do play but it seems, to me it's only a very low percentage that do. I could be wrong and they could be avoiding multiplayer games as I have also started to go less as some of the men/ little boys I run into are either very rude and sometimes very crude or follow me around like we are going to hook up , they find out I have kids and I'm married, then they vanish lol . I'm just really curious about how many women have an oculus rift/ any vr headset that is theirs and got it for themselves. 
66 REPLIES 66

nalex66
MVP
MVP
We don't have to make this political, but since you went there...

Maybe the reason women stay away from MP games is that they get exposed to the worst of the "get back to the kitchen" mentality of certain types who think that women have no place in "male" spaces like video games, sports, politics, the workplace, etc.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

There has to be a distinction made between casual mobile video gaming and console or PC gaming. Stats would suggest 50% of gamers are indeed female. Whereas that figure reduces significantly when you ignore mobile platforms. I believe Snowypooch is referring to console PC gaming.

Oi! I'm the Guardian Of The Overworld! Snowypooch indeed 😮 😄 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

We don't have to make this political, but since you went there...

Maybe the reason women stay away from MP games is that they get exposed to the worst of the "get back to the kitchen" mentality of certain types who think that women have no place in "male" spaces like video games, sports, politics, the workplace, etc.

That's a very good point. I hope @vannagirl can cook! 😛

SnackyAU
Expert Protege
Yea i mean i am not trying to say it will ever be exactly a 50/50 split i just mean i think it's not nearly as crazy as you might think. Females are 100% less likely to talk / reveal they are a female but yea i get both of the points made !

cybernettr
Superstar

nalex66 said:

You apparently think that most guys are beasts, but I disagree with you.  Women are so rare in multiplayer games that I think they tend to get the VIP treatment from guys. There's a certain chivalry the comes out towards women in multiplayer games that guys don't show towards each other.  I've never heard the "get back to the kitchen" mentality in, like, say, the last fifty years, so I think that statement is absurd.

vannagirl
Consultant

nalex66 said:

I've never heard the "get back to the kitchen" mentality in, like, say, the last fifty years, so I think that statement is absurd.

No

that BS exists,

i can assure you, just go on console MP. tbh i stayed away from gaming during that whole gamegate thing, although i never fully understood it but i suddenly was on the end of a bit of hate in other forums i used to hang in. You may notice i often make feminazi jokes, because it is kinda dumb, all of it

Also appreciate there are sexual differences and likes but there is alot of crossover of likes, i like Military sims, i know guys who like fashion and design, it goes on and on

In games such as wow there is a huge female gamer network, infact its normal to be a girl playing, just look at wow streamers, its high in the female catagory but to say this kitchen mentality does not exist is absurd. As a guy you just do not hear it as much as i would not pick up on guy abuse so much

not that i am complaining at it, i work in a fully male enviroment even i am told there, women are often not sent to the front lines for xyz

anyhow

haha @snowdog

you are such a douche bro i feel like running you over hahahahahaha

J/K
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
SnackyAU said:

Hopefully the fact that groundwork has been laid and all that in regular gaming the uptake will be way higher as gamer chicks are awesome. 

Although SnackyAU probably means no offense with this comment because he's Austrailian and "chicks" is a common complimentary term (I am assuming you're Australian based on your username). Women from other countries  might find that comment disrespectful. And here lies the problem. Women in games are seen as novelties rather than equals which for those who lap up the attention is great but not so much for those who just want to get on and game like their fellow male players.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don't think all guys are beasts (just the right-wingers 😉 ), but I've seen some behaviour when a girl shows up in the Echo Arena lobby that I wouldn't describe as "chivalrous". Unless your idea of chivalry is following a girl around and pestering her with overly personal questions and suggestive comments. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

cybernettr
Superstar

vannagirl said:

i stayed away from gaming during that whole gamegate thing, although i never fully understood it but i suddenly was on the end of a bit of hate in other forums i used to hang in

I think you suffer from a persecution complex.  The whole gamer gate fiasco was explained very well in the book "SJW's Always Lie" by Vox Day.  Basically, some woman wrote a horrible game and then complained when it got bad reviews. Social justice warriors picked up on it and started claiming that was indicative of massive discrimination in the gaming community.  They created a huge fiasco that previously not had existed. Because of this, bad feelings exist in the gaming community to this day. 

SnackyAU
Expert Protege
@Shadowmask72

i edited my original comment it was not meant to be taken in any context except description of gender.. just a bit of slang i guess. Apologies ..